Boyne's lift announcement

Talk about anything here, just play nice. Personal attacks will result in banning on any forum in the chat, including this one.

Re: Boyne's lift announcement

Postby skiloaf » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:07 am

Well, we have seen how these go before. Hopefully it fairs better for them.

For comparison the super quad moves at 1040 feet per minute and their new fastest 8 pack in North America moves 1,100 ft per min. SQ does 3k skiers a hour vs kanamaboob at 3,500 (14% increase in Capacity.

A 6 pack might be nice on busy days but the answer to Sugarloafs lift system is the west mount area to get crowds out of the base and give intermediate skiers (bubblecuffers line skippers) another area. Tote road can't take more people.
the jhondillah will run from the base of john diller's house to the summit
skiloaf
Sugarloafer

Postby ME2VTSkier » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:53 pm

The 8 pack = 6m/sec
6 meters = 19.685 feet

19.685 x 60 seconds = 1181.1 feet per minute
ME2VTSkier
Sugarloafer

Postby machski » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:48 pm

Loon is getting an 8 pack primarily because 1: its location 2: it will be a multi season lift serving Loon's up and coming mountain bike park 3: Because Loon needed something flashy after Bretton Woods one upped them with their 8 passenger Gondola and 4: Because Boyne has always had a thing for the newest, most technological lifts out there. I don't think SR or SL will see and 8 pack. I could be wrong, but the terminals for that thing are bigger than a Gondola's terminals due to the width of the chairs. They can squeeze those terminals in at West Basin, but they might be hard pressed to do so in other areas.
machski
Sugarloafer

Postby shot ski » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:14 am

Glade Monkey wrote:Loon got a new 10 year plan along with a flashy video to show off their new 8-pack which is approved & planned to begin installation this spring.

https://www.loonflightpath.com/

I was at Loon Friday when this was announced, good for them. Riding with an instructor in the gondola he seemed to think they are trying to get permits for more land, probably North Peak which would be a nice addition to their most challenging terrain if they can work with the forestry department. Seems like ambitious plans though for the next 10 years. Would make sense if 7 brothers terminal went higher so you could bypass the gondola to get to North Peak.
shot ski
Sugarloafer

Postby Alpiner » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:57 am

machski wrote:Boyne's Eastern Jewel is now known and does not start with an S.

Why wouldn't it be? It's the shortest and easiest drive from Boston, has mostly intermediate terrain, and at its feet is a real town with real amenities.

Take a look at Stowe before you wish for a big Ski Corp to dive headfirst into Carrabassett Valley. No thanks.

shot ski wrote:Would make sense if 7 brothers terminal went higher so you could bypass the gondola to get to North Peak.

You can get to Camp 3 from the top of 7 Brothers.
Bring back King Pine T-bar, Lower Binder, Rascals, Haywire park.
Alpiner
Sugarloafer

Postby shot ski » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:57 pm

Alpiner wrote:
shot ski wrote:Would make sense if 7 brothers terminal went higher so you could bypass the gondola to get to North Peak.

You can get to Camp 3 from the top of 7 Brothers.

Good to know, I guess I never tried but "The Link" looked more to connect camp 3 and North Peak the base rather than the other way.

Loon makes a lot of sense as an investment for Boyne, for the same reasons you said. I think it offers the best skiing within two hours of Boston door to door, with cannon probably worthwhile of consideration also. It is a great benefit they are on the Ikon Pass, and i'd bet they are getting a bit more traffic because of it. I typically don't ski there on the weekends much but I was glad I went friday even without any glades open yet.
shot ski
Sugarloafer

Postby machski » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:31 pm

shot ski wrote:
Glade Monkey wrote:Loon got a new 10 year plan along with a flashy video to show off their new 8-pack which is approved & planned to begin installation this spring.

https://www.loonflightpath.com/

I was at Loon Friday when this was announced, good for them. Riding with an instructor in the gondola he seemed to think they are trying to get permits for more land, probably North Peak which would be a nice addition to their most challenging terrain if they can work with the forestry department. Seems like ambitious plans though for the next 10 years. Would make sense if 7 brothers terminal went higher so you could bypass the gondola to get to North Peak.

If anything extend it just a bit uphill to allow it to serve the entire length of LMP. The issue with any extension is the crossing of Grand Junction which is an absolute CF.
machski
Sugarloafer

Postby Glade Monkey » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:37 pm

This should stir the pot a little more

https://www.reformer.com/stories/more-offers-arrive-for-hermitage-assets,595887

"Boyne, which owns and operates 10 ski resorts in North America, said it intends to relocate the bubble chairlift known as the Barnstormer to a ski area it has in northern New England."

Per one of the lift aficionados on the SR chat board, Loon is out since they've already gotten their new lifts lined up and it wouldn't work at Barker because of length, rise and power reasons. These same issues prevent using it to replace the SQ. So where else could Boyne want to put it?
Ski season is too short
Glade Monkey
Sugarloafer

Postby Ltaylor56 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:18 pm

The Barnstormer Express is 1661 meters in length.

The distance from Bullwinkles to the Summit is 1661 meters in length (+/- 100 m)

The distance from multiple points west of SQ base to Bullwinkles is 1661 meters in length (+/- m).

Therefore, one can only conclude it will be installed at Sunday River.
Ltaylor56
Sugarloafer

Postby Alpiner » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:32 pm

shot ski wrote:Good to know, I guess I never tried but "The Link" looked more to connect camp 3 and North Peak to the base rather than the other way.

Nope, The Link is downhill from 7 Brothers to Camp 3/North Peak base. The base of East Basin chair is on the way too, no hiking required. The trail map doesn't show this well.

I have a soft spot for Loon. The parents of my best friend (RIP) who got me into snowoboarding in 8th grade had a place there. Many early snowboarding days there. It's a zoo on weekends now, but midweek it's fun. The Octagon base lodge is a classic. Funny how many trail names Loon and SL have in common.
Bring back King Pine T-bar, Lower Binder, Rascals, Haywire park.
Alpiner
Sugarloafer

Postby Ski It » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:11 pm

From an article highlighting the Hermitage written back in 2017.

"It also offers one of just two six-passenger bubble chairlifts with heated seats in the U.S., the Doppelmayr-manufactured Barnstormer lift, which debuted December 2015 and takes you to the summit in six minutes. (The other heated bubble “six-pack” is a Leitner-Poma built at Okemo in 2014.)"

https://www.timesargus.com/hermitage-fi ... 794e6.html

A few videos of the Barnstormer from the Hermitage Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/TheHermitageCl ... 208271119/
https://www.facebook.com/TheHermitageCl ... 814644458/
Sugarloafer since '80
Ski It
Sugarloafer

Postby ceo » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:56 pm

Alpiner wrote: Funny how many trail names Loon and SL have in common.

That's because Loon also likes to commemorate their area's logging heritage, though they're less consistent about it than SL.
ceo
Sugarloafer

Postby essslsclsact » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:06 pm

Ltaylor56 wrote:The Barnstormer Express is 1661 meters in length.

The distance from Bullwinkles to the Summit is 1661 meters in length (+/- 100 m)

The distance from multiple points west of SQ base to Bullwinkles is 1661 meters in length (+/- m).

Therefore, one can only conclude it will be installed at Sunday River.

Though interesting the length is not critical within some parameters as the chair spacing and number of towers can be changed. Hence the lift could probably go about anywhere within a 100 or so feet of its current length.
Going strong as a Loafer Since The 70s

Location Portland Area
essslsclsact
Sugarloafer

Postby Pow on the Mao » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:48 pm

kicking the tires on a cheap SQ replacement. why not, right...
i found my soul on the ripsaw skin track
Pow on the Mao
Sugarloafer

Postby machski » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:05 pm

Although it's load capacity over it's relatively shorter vertical of just over 1100' won't translate to a a longer vertical rise. So if Boyne is going to reuse Barnstormer, I would be thinking of a vertical rise of 1100 feet or less. A greater vertical will necessitate wider chair spacing (or an increased drive/transmission combo). Loon has stated that 7 Brothers replacement is not a lock on a refurbed Kanc Quad. To me, 7 Brothers would be a logical landing spot for Barnstormer. Time will tell, they have to win the bid first.
machski
Sugarloafer

Postby shot ski » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:18 pm

Might not be the only offer, but does seem to be the highest offer for the bubble. Seems the offers for 8M to buy the whole place would make more sense.

https://www.reformer.com/stories/hermit ... ers,596304
shot ski
Sugarloafer

Postby WrathOfAramark » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:38 pm

Surely those two bids first discussed aren't serious....

From the article wrote:"Please note," Samuels wrote, "I am born royalty and as such special consideration is required."

WrathOfAramark
Sugarloafer

Location: If I said I was born and raised 1 mile from the NH border, would you still think me a Masshole?

Postby ottoclave2 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:52 am

I'm going to start including that line whenever negotiating something.
ottoclave2
Sugarloafer

Previous

Return to General Discussion