3T is turning

A place to discuss current weather, snow, and trail conditions, plus lift status and upcoming storms.

3T is turning

Postby r1900 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:43 am

First time since?
r1900
Sugarloafer

Re: 3T is turning

Postby darkwizard » Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:17 am

Looks like March 4, 2023 it was open. I think I was checking hourly back then, for a good part of the season.

[('20230304-11:27-EST', '#3 T-Bar/Bateau', 'Open', ''), ('20230306-10:37-EST', '#3 T-Bar/Bateau', 'Hold', 'Weather'), ('20240214-09:08-EST', '#3 T-Bar/Bateau', 'Open', '')]

That's good news, hopefully gives the natives some hope. Did someone win a prize from the thread asking which lift would run first?
darkwizard
Sugarloafer

Postby essslsclsact » Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:17 am

r1900 wrote:First time since?

Last year or longer. Must have fixed the rumored motor problem.
Going strong as a Loafer Since The 70s

Location Portland Area
essslsclsact
Sugarloafer

Postby SpillwayEast » Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:22 am

Little breezy today..........blowing 87 with gusts over 100 at the top of the rock.
SpillwayEast
Sugarloafer

Postby darkwizard » Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:36 pm

You would think they would make mention in the Mountain Report.
darkwizard
Sugarloafer

Postby tristan » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:34 am

It was open once last season when had the diesel generators for the lights at the Winter Kids 24 hour event.

Does anyone know if it is running off electricity now, or if they are running it off a generator?
tristan
Sugarloafer

Postby Rossignolsoul7 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:41 am

r1900 wrote:First time since?

It turned on Saturday Feb 3rd for about 2h but I guess no one here noticed it. I was expecting comments about it...
Rossignolsoul7
Sugarloafer

Postby darkwizard » Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:29 pm

Turning again today according to Mountain Report and Glade Monkey has it on the spreadsheet, so I have to assume it is legit. I'd like to cross #3 off my list sometime, but my ski day selection algorithm will likely preclude that from happening. Too bad I missed it back on Feb 3rd because I was there. That must have been an even more rare, fair-weather test.
darkwizard
Sugarloafer

Postby SpillwayEast » Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:07 pm

darkwizard wrote:Turning again today according to Mountain Report and Glade Monkey has it on the spreadsheet, so I have to assume it is legit. I'd like to cross #3 off my list sometime, but my ski day selection algorithm will likely preclude that from happening. Too bad I missed it back on Feb 3rd because I was there. That must have been an even more rare, fair-weather test.

Windy today for sure............if Whiffletree is on wind hold you know its windy :D
SpillwayEast
Sugarloafer

Postby gondicar » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:09 pm

SpillwayEast wrote:
darkwizard wrote:Turning again today according to Mountain Report and Glade Monkey has it on the spreadsheet, so I have to assume it is legit. I'd like to cross #3 off my list sometime, but my ski day selection algorithm will likely preclude that from happening. Too bad I missed it back on Feb 3rd because I was there. That must have been an even more rare, fair-weather test.

Windy today for sure............if Whiffletree is on wind hold you know it’s windy :D

Absolutely howling (as in shaking the house) in northern Cumberland county all afternoon.
Access to recreational sports is integral to a well-rounded life. Maine Adaptive Sports & Recreation is a year-round program teaching adaptive skiing and other sports activities to people with disabilities ages 4 and up: http://www.maineadaptive.org/
gondicar
Sugarloafer

Postby heavysquad4 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:46 pm

Have you ridden the new T bar?
heavysquad4
Sugarloafer

Postby DoubleBitter » Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:28 pm

SpillwayEast wrote:Windy today for sure............if Whiffletree is on wind hold you know its windy :D

Whiffletree has a south wind vulnerability (right in the face of riders) that doesn't always affect other lifts. But a strong enough northwest wind -- like it appears is happening today -- can certainly put it on hold as well.
DoubleBitter
Sugarloafer

Postby darkwizard » Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:02 pm

heavysquad4 wrote:Have you ridden the new T bar?

No haven't rode that one either. But, it's new, so maybe someday. Seems like #3 running is pretty special anymore, so would be cool to ride an old Loaf T-bar.

To me #3 seems like it should be a strategic requirement. The only T-bar lift I ever rode was the Cupsuptic at Saddleback. I was there one day, that I couldn't pick because we were there on account of friends being there, and the Rangeley ended up getting closed. But, they had the new Sandy Quad going to get you to the T-bar, then there is a lot of good trails off that. But, you could also go a short hop up hill and then take the Pass I think it is over to the Kennebago which wasn't affected that day. Since then, it's seemed to me like #3 can address problems when SL or SQ aren't running, assuming DR East or West could run. Not sure how great an assumption that is.

If I was in charge of a mountain I'd have T-Bars linked up right to the top. But, I am glad to see the #3 has been available when needed this year. I noted a few times last year when you could have skied at Saddleback but not at the Loaf. I know they face somewhat different directions and all.

I've noticed things on the East side, WT and KP, being quite a bit different exposure. A few times this year it's been windy and cold over there and sunny and pleasant further West. I think almost a few times I've noticed myself and my stranger one chair ride buddies nearly dozing off on SL down low under tree tops in the bright sun and complete windless lull!
darkwizard
Sugarloafer

Postby Glade Monkey » Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:14 am

darkwizard wrote:
heavysquad4 wrote:Have you ridden the new T bar?

Seems like #3 running isn't pretty special anymore, so would be cool to ride an old Loaf T-bar.

To me #3 seems like it should be a strategic requirement. But, I am glad to see the #3 has been available when needed this year. I noted a few times last year when you could have skied at Saddleback but not at the Loaf. I know they face somewhat different directions and all.

Got your chance again today as Whiffletree, Skyline and Timberline are on wind hold
Ski season is too short
Glade Monkey
Sugarloafer

Postby darkwizard » Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:05 pm

Glade Monkey wrote:Got your chance again today as Whiffletree, Skyline and Timberline are on wind hold

I suppose if it becomes critical for me to ride #3 I'll have to plan to try to hit it. As it stands, when I looked at the forecast last week, I considered today or tomorrow for taking the day off work and I went with tomorrow. The expected wind hanging on after the storm went through was well forecasted.
darkwizard
Sugarloafer

Return to Snow Conditions, Weather, etc.