What's up with King Pine?

A place to discuss current weather, snow, and trail conditions, plus lift status and upcoming storms.

What's up with King Pine?

Postby Frontface » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:35 pm

For two consecutive days King Pine has not run. All the other lifts were running so I assume the wind, icing, etc., were not the problem. Is it a staffing issue?
Frontface
Sugarloafer

Re: What's up with King Pine?

Postby k2trav » Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:57 pm

email Karl Strand Or crusher and post there response here
http://www.sugarloafoutside.com
k2trav
Sugarloafer For Life

Postby Glade Monkey » Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:02 am

Looks like Double Runner has been sacrificed to allow KP, TL & BE run midweek
Ski season is too short
Glade Monkey
Sugarloafer

Postby essslsclsact » Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:35 am

Glade Monkey wrote:Looks like Double Runner has been sacrificed to allow KP, TL & BE run midweek

Sure looks that way. All the users of Double Runner are now in Bucksaw area and Bullies.
Going strong as a Loafer Since The 70s

Location Portland Area
essslsclsact
Sugarloafer

Postby DoubleBitter » Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:40 am

Glade Monkey wrote:Looks like Double Runner has been sacrificed to allow KP, TL & BE run midweek

Not running Double Runner is crazy!! Those trials are an essential step after The Landing. Whiffletree is too big a step, and how in the world is a real beginner supposed to get to the West Mountain trails?? Doesn't make sense. :?
DoubleBitter
Sugarloafer

Postby Alpiner » Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:57 am

DoubleBitter wrote:

Not running Double Runner is crazy!! Those trials are an essential step after The Landing. Whiffletree is too big a step, and how in the world is a real beginner supposed to get to the West Mountain trails?? Doesn't make sense. :?

Top of Whiffletree isn't too much steeper than the top of Boardwalk, and there's Moose Alley. Maybe they figure most people who take time off to be there midweek aren't beginners.

Anyway, KP is more important than DR for me and I would say most people who are there midweek, so good.
Bring back King Pine T-bar, Lower Binder, Rascals, Haywire park.
Alpiner
Sugarloafer

Postby gondicar » Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:32 pm

Alpiner wrote:
DoubleBitter wrote:

Top of Whiffletree isn't too much steeper than the top of Boardwalk, and there's Moose Alley. Maybe they figure most people who take time off to be there midweek aren't beginners.

Anyway, KP is more important than DR for me and I would say most people who are there midweek, so good.

The top of Whiffletree is definitely steeper and has a double fall line that makes it very tricky when tethering my son which is when I really notice it. Very different feel than top of boardwalk even if the pitch doesn’t measure out all that different, imo.
Access to recreational sports is integral to a well-rounded life. Maine Adaptive Sports & Recreation is a year-round program teaching adaptive skiing and other sports activities to people with disabilities ages 4 and up: http://www.maineadaptive.org/
gondicar
Sugarloafer

Postby essslsclsact » Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:36 pm

Rollway is a bit gentler than the very top of Wiffletree and is a good alternative for those graduating to the Wiffletree lift area.
Going strong as a Loafer Since The 70s

Location Portland Area
essslsclsact
Sugarloafer

Postby DoubleBitter » Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:05 pm

essslsclsact wrote:Rollway is a bit gentler than the very top of Wiffletree and is a good alternative for those graduating to the Wiffletree lift area.

Yes, but not straight from the Landing. Looking down such a long trail can be intimidating -- that can even happen on Boardwalk for nervous beginners. There's a bit of a pitch getting onto Rollway, which could be challenging, especially in firm conditions.
DoubleBitter
Sugarloafer

Postby JAC487 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:34 pm

Roleway doesn't even bypass the steepest part of WHiffletree. Not having double runner is ridiculous. Surprised that even with lifts on hold it didn't open today. There was a full on snowcat parked in the way just uphill of the terminal. I heard shortside is broken. Guess maybe both sides are broken now or the mountain just doesn't care about novice skiers.
JAC487
Sugarloafer

Postby gondicar » Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:06 pm

JAC487 wrote:Roleway doesn't even bypass the steepest part of WHiffletree. Not having double runner is ridiculous. Surprised that even with lifts on hold it didn't open today. There was a full on snowcat parked in the way just uphill of the terminal. I heard shortside is broken. Guess maybe both sides are broken now or the mountain just doesn't care about novice skiers.

DRW is supposed to run for 24 hours starting at 8pm tomorrow for the WinterKids DH24 so I guess we’ll find out soon if it is broken or not.
Access to recreational sports is integral to a well-rounded life. Maine Adaptive Sports & Recreation is a year-round program teaching adaptive skiing and other sports activities to people with disabilities ages 4 and up: http://www.maineadaptive.org/
gondicar
Sugarloafer

Postby Glade Monkey » Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:24 am

gondicar wrote:DRW is supposed to run for 24 hours starting at 8pm tomorrow for the WinterKids DH24 so I guess we’ll find out soon if it is broken or not.

Remember the first year the event was moved from Mt A and was setup to be on Whiffletree? The lift broke a day or two before so they moved everything including the lights over to DR. Wonder why they never went back….
Ski season is too short
Glade Monkey
Sugarloafer

Postby SpillwayEast » Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:19 am

Glade Monkey wrote:
gondicar wrote:DRW is supposed to run for 24 hours starting at 8pm tomorrow for the WinterKids DH24 so I guess we’ll find out soon if it is broken or not.

Remember the first year the event was moved from Mt A and was setup to be on Whiffletree? The lift broke a day or two before so they moved everything including the lights over to DR. Wonder why they never went back….

Ahhhh.......good point. Wonder why it didn't go back to WT. Interesting Daily report today with all the mentions of 'Conditions Hold'. Also one of the biggest events of the year starts tonight and no mention of it? Its pretty cool to see Sugarloaf lit up at night..........even if its only one trail.
SpillwayEast
Sugarloafer

Postby heavysquad4 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:53 pm

Double Runner is moving! everyone can un-wad their panties!
heavysquad4
Sugarloafer

Postby DoubleBitter » Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:26 pm

SpillwayEast wrote:[. . . one of the biggest events of the year starts tonight and no mention of it? Its pretty cool to see Sugarloaf lit up at night..........even if its only one trail.

Just checked the Beach Webcam (8:25 pm) -- quite cool to see Lower Gauge and Boardwalk lit up for night skiing . :)

The Narrow Gauge Webcam gives an even better view of folks skiing down lit-up Kangaroo Hill.
DoubleBitter
Sugarloafer

Postby tristan » Sat Mar 09, 2024 5:46 pm

King Pine Lift update: Saturday morning, our mechanics identified a mechanical problem with the King Pine Lift. We are working internally to determine next steps. The King Pine lift will be on mechanical hold while we work to resolve the issue. We will continue to keep you updated on the status.
tristan
Sugarloafer

Return to Snow Conditions, Weather, etc.