Where is the stoke?

A place to discuss current weather, snow, and trail conditions, plus lift status and upcoming storms.

Where is the stoke?

Postby b632 » Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:23 am

So we get a real ten inch storm Sun/Mon …. And… i hear the snow quality was excellent, skiing spectacular. What is official Unofficial count on inches?
Stop thinking and end your problems. -Lao Tzu
b632
Sugarloafer

Re: Where is the stoke?

Postby Glade Monkey » Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:41 am

Unofficial running total
14” total from the recent storm.
30” season to date, which is tied with 19/20 for the highest on this date since we started the weather log.
Ski season is too short
Glade Monkey
Sugarloafer

Postby mapg33k » Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:02 pm

LFG!!!

mapg33k
Sugarloafer

Postby bigelow » Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:25 pm

the stoke died with the twitter account.....
bigelow
Sugarloafer

Postby BubbleCuffer97 » Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:14 am

Notwithstanding the forecast for this weekend, seems like a great start to the year. Good bit of natural and they're doing a great job making the most of these cold temps. Snowmaking improvements are clearly paying dividends. The new webcams are freakin awesome.

And we have a new lift to look forward to. Lets go!
BubbleCuffer97
Sugarloafer

Postby darkwizard » Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:19 pm

They opened some of Brackett/Burnt

----- TRAIL DELTA: 20231206-10:15-EST --> 20231206-12:15-EST
[('Little Androscoggin Glade', 'Open'), ('Androscoggin Glade', 'Open'), ('Blacksmith Glade', 'Open'), ('High Ball Glade', 'Open'), ('Lower Kennebec Glade', 'Open'), ('Eastern Territory', 'Open'), ('Upper Kennebec Glade', 'Open')]
darkwizard
Sugarloafer

Postby darkwizard » Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:46 pm

darkwizard wrote:They opened some of Brackett/Burnt

Correction, not Brackett but Eastern Territory.
darkwizard
Sugarloafer

Postby Pow on the Mao » Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:04 pm

bigelow wrote:the stoke died with the twitter account.....

i know you are trolling me but that account was a stoke machine.
i found my soul on the ripsaw skin track
Pow on the Mao
Sugarloafer

Postby SKIER iZ PrO » Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:12 pm

The skiing was excellent today. It felt like there was no one there skiing. The trails open with just natural snow had great coverage. Just needed to watch out for the water bars. Only tried the glades of Timberline. They definitely needed another good storm.
SKIER iZ PrO
Sugarloafer

Postby bigelow » Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:21 am

Pow on the Mao wrote:
bigelow wrote:the stoke died with the twitter account.....

i know you are trolling me but that account was a stoke machine.

I also remember when you didn't have a smart phone, didn't have anything to twitter yourself with, and were feeling plenty of stokeness each weekend.
bigelow
Sugarloafer

Postby Alpiner » Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:04 am

bigelow wrote:I also remember when you didn't have a smart phone, didn't have anything to twitter yourself with, and were feeling plenty of stokeness each weekend.

Shots fired! But yeah. A friend of mine has a policy to not bring his phone on the hill. He says it's a much more pure experience. I believe it. Of course, he doesn't have children.
Bring back King Pine T-bar, Lower Binder, Rascals, Haywire park.
Alpiner
Sugarloafer

Postby darkwizard » Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:44 pm

I say social media is unsocial media when used on a personal level. But, I support it for dissemination of useful information. I'm not crazy about apps, but they support the notifications, if there is anything to notify about.
darkwizard
Sugarloafer

Postby mapg33k » Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:36 pm

Friday afternoon, counting down the minutes...

mapg33k
Sugarloafer

Postby heavysquad4 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:47 pm

Right?

It is about time we have a cold storm come through. High of 19 Saturday.

Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 19. Southeast wind around 10 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 8 to 12 inches possible.
heavysquad4
Sugarloafer

Postby gondicar » Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:05 pm

Access to recreational sports is integral to a well-rounded life. Maine Adaptive Sports & Recreation is a year-round program teaching adaptive skiing and other sports activities to people with disabilities ages 4 and up: http://www.maineadaptive.org/
gondicar
Sugarloafer

Postby Glade Monkey » Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:47 pm

gondicar wrote:Image

Funny guy predicts double what Todd shows in the weather blog. Guess we have to hope the CHIEF METEOROLOGIST is correct!!
Ski season is too short
Glade Monkey
Sugarloafer

Postby Pow on the Mao » Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:36 pm

got some afternoon runs in. wind gave mtn a beating. groomed is scoured from skiers right to middle. skiers left drifts were significant everywhere. natural trails had huge wind loaded drifts and were awesome. the face looked better before the storm. but its all in the trees. over a foot deep in your favorite secret line. its wind loaded, tight trees are best (as always). turned out to be a perfect bluebird afternoon. they ran quad late.
Pow on the Mao
Sugarloafer

Postby WrathOfAramark » Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:42 pm

Does this count?

Looking at the winds for Sunday straight out of the north, I think Sugarloaf runs. Saddleback might be challenged.

Anyone want to send me a discount code for a Sugarloaf ticket for Sunday?
WrathOfAramark
Sugarloafer

Location: If I said I was born and raised 1 mile from the NH border, would you still think me a Masshole?

Postby gondicar » Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:50 pm

My fave.

Access to recreational sports is integral to a well-rounded life. Maine Adaptive Sports & Recreation is a year-round program teaching adaptive skiing and other sports activities to people with disabilities ages 4 and up: http://www.maineadaptive.org/
gondicar
Sugarloafer

Postby WrathOfAramark » Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:47 pm

Stoke was high today. Much fun was had. Legs were destroyed.

Bring on tomorrow.
WrathOfAramark
Sugarloafer

Location: If I said I was born and raised 1 mile from the NH border, would you still think me a Masshole?

Postby b632 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:56 am

WrathOfAramark wrote:Stoke was high today. Much fun was had. Legs were destroyed.

Bring on tomorrow.

Rinse and repeat!! Damn lifts..
Stop thinking and end your problems. -Lao Tzu
b632
Sugarloafer

Postby gondicar » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:46 am

LAST UPDATED: SUNDAY, 08:33 AM
Winds are high this morning. Skyline, King Pine, and Timberline are starting the day on windhold. Winds are forecasted to decrease through the day so keep a close eye on lift statuses. 3T-Bar is the high lift to start the day.
gondicar
Sugarloafer

Postby Glade Monkey » Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:55 am

gondicar wrote:LAST UPDATED: SUNDAY, 08:33 AM
Winds are high this morning. Skyline, King Pine, and Timberline are starting the day on windhold. Winds are forecasted to decrease through the day so keep a close eye on lift statuses. 3T-Bar is the high lift to start the day.

Trail counts are dropping and they keep using “forecasted” which is the wrong use of that word as that is an irregular past tense.
Ski season is too short
Glade Monkey
Sugarloafer

Postby High Ball » Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:37 pm

Glade Monkey wrote:

Trail counts are dropping and they keep using “forecasted” which is the wrong use of that word as that is an irregular past tense.

Geezus, do you even ski or just post about on the internet?? Thanks for missing a powder day to share that important insight with us. Think I’ll list my SL house and move to Saddleback now.
High Ball
Sugarloafer

Postby WrathOfAramark » Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:57 pm

Everything hurts and I still have to shovel the back deck. That skied like way more than 24"

The egging on and cheering of people ripping the bumps under the King Pine lift was pretty epic this afternoon.
WrathOfAramark
Sugarloafer

Postby Ski_The_East » Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:42 pm

High Ball wrote:
Glade Monkey wrote:

Geezus, do you even ski or just post about on the internet?? Thanks for missing a powder day to share that important insight with us. Think I’ll list my SL house and move to Saddleback now.

I think I speak for this entire board when I say GTFO. No need for your constant negativity and contrarian posts. Go find something useful to do, and stop wasting our time
Ski_The_East
Sugarloafer

Postby Glade Monkey » Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:58 pm

High Ball wrote:Geezus, do you even ski or just post about on the internet?? Thanks for missing a powder day to share that important insight with us. Think I’ll list my SL house and move to Saddleback now.

Wish I owned a house up at the Loaf and could be there every day or at least every weekend. Did have a great time last weekend, but was iced-in down in southern Maine today until at least noon. Not sure if you think I am a regular at SB but unfortunately I haven’t made it (yet) this season. You definitely shouldn’t move to SB for many, many reasons but mostly because they only reported 21” from this storm. YOU should sell and move down to Sunday River who reported a full yard of snow from this storm.
Ski season is too short
Glade Monkey
Sugarloafer

Postby Pow on the Mao » Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:55 am

i found this board in the late 2000s. many SLs have come and gone from it over the years. as new generations of SLs come online it morphs, as does everything. at its core its a place to share intel, share stories, speculate, and bitch about things we wish were different. that will always be true. as i was reminded by the 45 min + lift lines yesterday - SL is for everyone. as is this board. we should not push people away, ever. even raging dickheads, which at times def. includes myself.

i move back south on wednesday. construction season is starting and i have a family funeral. the forecasted rain and these life events that will take me away from here reinforce that pow is fleeting, and we should celebrate our pow stories while the getting is good. there is plenty of time to turn on each other later this week when the rain comes. remember we would all act much differently if we were in the same room together and we would likely all get along quite well. because we share this common bond. the best part of this board is reading about a great day that someone had and seeing posts: 1 next to the username. another person infected.
Pow on the Mao
Sugarloafer

Postby Ltaylor56 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:07 am

Pow on the Mao wrote:i found this board in the late 2000s. many SLs have come and gone from it over the years. as new generations of SLs come online it morphs, as does everything. at its core its a place to share intel, share stories, speculate, and bitch about things we wish were different. that will always be true. as i was reminded by the 45 min + lift lines yesterday - SL is for everyone. as is this board. we should not push people away, ever. even raging dickheads, which at times def. includes myself.

i move back south on wednesday. construction season is starting and i have a family funeral. the forecasted rain and these life events that will take me away from here reinforce that pow is fleeting, and we should celebrate our pow stories while the getting is good. there is plenty of time to turn on each other later this week when the rain comes. remember we would all act much differently if we were in the same room together and we would likely all get along quite well. because we share this common bond. the best part of this board is reading about a great day that someone had and seeing posts: 1 next to the username. another person infected.

Whoa! An internet oddity - an adult’s perspective! :applause: :wink:
Ltaylor56
Sugarloafer

Postby darkwizard » Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:44 pm

The stoke is through the roof. Skied trees at SB all day. Heading to the SL Inn now. Brackett Basin in my sights. I tend to fancy dudes that have a reputation of being dickheads.
darkwizard
Sugarloafer

Next

Return to Snow Conditions, Weather, etc.