Where is the stoke?

A place to discuss current weather, snow, and trail conditions, plus lift status and upcoming storms.

Re: Where is the stoke?

Postby Ski_The_East » Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:54 pm

Pow on the Mao wrote:- SL is for everyone. as is this board. we should not push people away, ever. even raging dickheads, which at times def. includes myself.

This is true, however pretty much every other dickhead including myself is usually trying to contribute something useful to a conversation or some other dialogue, whereas Mr. Highball consistently uses this site to degrade other users, start useless arguments without any direction or point, and is otherwise just a troll.
Ski_The_East
Sugarloafer

Postby bigelow » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:12 pm

Ski_The_East wrote:
Pow on the Mao wrote:- SL is for everyone. as is this board. we should not push people away, ever. even raging dickheads, which at times def. includes myself.

This is true, however pretty much every other dickhead including myself is usually trying to contribute something useful to a conversation or some other dialogue, whereas Mr. Highball consistently uses this site to degrade other users, start useless arguments without any direction or point, and is otherwise just a troll.

Once in a while there are people around here that could use a good ole TGR-style bitch slap
bigelow
Sugarloafer

Postby b632 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:49 am

Well dickheads aside… i am sore and tired after 3 days (sat, sun,Mon) of awesome awesome awesome skiing… thank the ski gods, thank SL and keep smiling :D
Stop thinking and end your problems. -Lao Tzu
b632
Sugarloafer

Postby WrathOfAramark » Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:14 pm

The egg heads over at the GYX weather station have posted this stoke inducing snow forecast.

Get ready physically, mentally, possibly spiritually, but definitely pragmatically for when your coffee pot starts in the morning and how and when you get to your morning snow clearing plans.
WrathOfAramark
Sugarloafer

Location: If I said I was born and raised 1 mile from the NH border, would you still think me a Masshole?

Postby WrathOfAramark » Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:58 pm

It's go time with precipitation already falling in southern Maine. NWS has updated their snowfall forecast maps once again today, and with higher numbers.

Which corresponds nicely with the snow forecast from Russ Murley over on the Saddleback daily report.

I wouldn't be surprised to be a 30" spot somewhere but measuring is going to be insanely difficult with the winds forecast. I'm glad there's still plenty of snow on the ground up here keeping things pretty well frozen because winds are going to be high tomorrow with 40-50 MPH gusts. A soft soggy ground would definitely have more blow downs and power outages. Plus the snow should be drier up around the mountains limiting clinging on lines and trees. Southern and coastal Maine are going to get whacked again with a lot of power outages tomorrow. Thankfully not from ice, so there shouldn't be as much widespread damage, but there will be plenty of outages.

Snow will be denser than two weeks ago, it will be wind slabbed by the time lifts turn on Friday, but it should be fun.
WrathOfAramark
Sugarloafer

Location: If I said I was born and raised 1 mile from the NH border, would you still think me a Masshole?

Postby Gstring » Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:33 am

I’ve got 6-7 inches on my deck in Birchwood at 8:30. Snow is wet but not heavy. Winds are gusting down here but Snubber’s running.
Gstring
Sugarloafer

Postby bigelow » Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:59 am

Gstring wrote:Snow is wet but not heavy.

the elusive "wet but not heavy" type....
bigelow
Sugarloafer

Postby Gstring » Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:07 am

bigelow wrote:
Gstring wrote:Snow is wet but not heavy.

the elusive "wet but not heavy" type....

I’ve gotta issue a correction: my small sample size was not representative of what’s happening snow-wise. The snow is similar to the last storm in March. I did a couple of runs through broccoli garden and rookie river - new snow in there around 8-10”. About 10:30 SQ and WT went on wind hold. Now Snubber’s joined in. Wind has definitely picked up.
Gstring
Sugarloafer

Postby WrathOfAramark » Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:14 am

Wind has definitely picked up. Had a huge gust come through about 10:30 when I was outside shoveling. It really starting to howl right now at 11:10 too

Snow is picking back up.

Lewiston/Auburn area is getting hammered.
WrathOfAramark
Sugarloafer

Postby b632 » Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:57 pm

I need a report … what’s the count
Stop thinking and end your problems. -Lao Tzu
b632
Sugarloafer

Postby shot ski » Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:47 pm

Idk , I didn’t bring out the measuring tape like I used to but I feel okay with calling 16” at deadmoose down below. They’ll report 20” in the morning and I bet the number starts with a 3 by the end of the weekend
shot ski
Sugarloafer

Postby WrathOfAramark » Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:45 pm

I got snow hole zoned over here on Dallas Hill outside Rangeley from 10 AM to 5 PM and I'm calling 12" on average between my car and the front door.
WrathOfAramark
Sugarloafer

Postby heavysquad4 » Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:46 am

I had Monday taken off for the eclipse a year ago. Last Sunday I took it off the calendar as I don't want to deal with crowds. Now it looks like an epic ski day. I can't get it off.
heavysquad4
Sugarloafer

Postby Mr. Vesper » Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:59 am

Did I read someplace, that Sugarloaf will be closed on Monday April 8th?
Sugarloafer Since 1957
The JD Man has Returned
Mr. Vesper
Sugarloafer

Postby Alpiner » Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:36 am

Mr. Vesper wrote:Did I read someplace, that Sugarloaf will be closed on Monday April 8th?

Dude.
Bring back King Pine T-bar, Lower Binder, Rascals, Haywire park.
Alpiner
Sugarloafer

Postby Mr. Vesper » Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:48 am

Words from the Sugarloaf web site

"PLEASE NOTE: All uphill travel will be closed Monday, April 8th.
Sugarloafer Since 1957
The JD Man has Returned
Mr. Vesper
Sugarloafer

Postby gondicar » Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:04 am

Pass the Jack.
Access to recreational sports is integral to a well-rounded life. Maine Adaptive Sports & Recreation is a year-round program teaching adaptive skiing and other sports activities to people with disabilities ages 4 and up: http://www.maineadaptive.org/
gondicar
Sugarloafer

Previous

Return to Snow Conditions, Weather, etc.