23/24 Snowmaking Mega Thread

A place to discuss current weather, snow, and trail conditions, plus lift status and upcoming storms.

Re: 23/24 Snowmaking Mega Thread

Postby JAC487 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:16 pm

I heard they had to clean out the primary intake. They are also waiting for a green light from cmp to increase energy consumption to max potential. I'm sure marketing wants nothing more than a show of force with 100+ guns blazing
JAC487
Sugarloafer

Postby k2trav » Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:00 am

[quote="JAC487"]I heard they had to clean out the primary intake. quote]

Do you understand how many years this has been a problem? Quite an easy and cheap fix
http://www.sugarloafoutside.com
k2trav
Sugarloafer For Life

Postby skiloaf » Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:54 pm

Primary pump is down due to intake. Divers on site today trying to clean out. How do you propose fixing long term intake issue?
the jhondillah will run from the base of john diller's house to the summit
skiloaf
Sugarloafer

Postby Rossignolsoul7 » Fri Dec 22, 2023 4:04 pm

skiloaf wrote:Primary pump is down due to intake. Divers on site today trying to clean out. How do you propose fixing long term intake issue?

The mountain is in disastrous shape and nothing is being done. There is no excuse for this. Absolute Royal Fuckery.
Rossignolsoul7
Sugarloafer

Postby k2trav » Fri Dec 22, 2023 5:55 pm

skiloaf wrote:Primary pump is down due to intake. Divers on site today trying to clean out. How do you propose fixing long term intake issue?

Move the intake so it doesn't get loaded with rocks and dirt. The new pond they are building make take care of the issue
k2trav
Sugarloafer For Life

Postby k2trav » Fri Dec 22, 2023 5:56 pm

Rossignolsoul7 wrote:

The mountain is in disastrous shape and nothing is being done. There is no excuse for this. Absolute Royal Fuckery.

Did you know the new sewage pumphouse is down, it flooded with sewage, the pumps have been pulled and could be reinstalled this weekend
k2trav
Sugarloafer For Life

Postby gondicar » Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:35 pm

Rossignolsoul7 wrote:

Easy killer.
Access to recreational sports is integral to a well-rounded life. Maine Adaptive Sports & Recreation is a year-round program teaching adaptive skiing and other sports activities to people with disabilities ages 4 and up: http://www.maineadaptive.org/
gondicar
Sugarloafer

Postby T.O.S. » Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:42 am

The Sugarloaf paradox.
Long before HKD and all the associated bells and booster pumps.
Sugarloaf snowmaking still depends on the same guy scraping gravel out of a 10 inch hole in the bottom of the South Branch of the Carrabassett with the broken off end of a rock rake.
T.O.S.
Sugarloafer

Postby JAC487 » Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:10 pm

T.O.S. wrote:The Sugarloaf paradox.
Sugarloaf snowmaking still depends on the same guy scraping gravel out of a 10 inch hole in the bottom of the South Branch of the Carrabassett with the broken off end of a rock rake.

Job security at it's finest right there
JAC487
Sugarloafer

Postby b632 » Tue Dec 26, 2023 7:21 am

Any update on the ability to make snow (weather aside :( )
Stop thinking and end your problems. -Lao Tzu
b632
Sugarloafer

Postby k2trav » Tue Dec 26, 2023 8:56 am

They will probably be able to make snow on Thursday or friday night. The big question is how many Guns
k2trav
Sugarloafer For Life

Postby SpillwayEast » Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:13 am

T.O.S. wrote:The Sugarloaf paradox.

That is the truth right there! Design engineering at its best:)
SpillwayEast
Sugarloafer

Postby Pow on the Mao » Tue Dec 26, 2023 2:40 pm

k2trav wrote:
Rossignolsoul7 wrote:

Did you know the new sewage pumphouse is down, it flooded with sewage, the pumps have been pulled and could be reinstalled this weekend

i could absolutely see that happening. to be expected in that type of event probably. from the outside it looks like they did a fabulous job when they built it. lets hope everything inside was spec'd to be submersible so downtime is minimal anytime there is an event like that. which there will be more of.
i found my soul on the ripsaw skin track
Pow on the Mao
Sugarloafer

Postby skiloaf » Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:24 am

Well, it' that time of the year again. The end of Christmas break, and time to check in on the stated goal of "all snowmaking trails open by Christmas (week)".

I've updated my charts for the year and once again the weather is overshadowing any improvements in guns/pumps/etc. Would be fun to see how far they could get without any big snow or rain event. Appreciate they got Whiffletree open for the holiday this year.

skiloaf
Sugarloafer

Postby High Ball » Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:12 pm

skiloaf wrote:Well, it' that time of the year again. The end of Christmas break, and time to check in on the stated goal of "all snowmaking trails open by Christmas (week)".

I've updated my charts for the year and once again the weather is overshadowing any improvements in guns/pumps/etc. Would be fun to see how far they could get without any big snow or rain event. Appreciate they got Whiffletree open for the holiday this year.

In fairness, I’m pretty sure that statement was made with an “old” normal winter in mind. They probably should re-think what a new normal is.
High Ball
Sugarloafer

Postby myell » Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:36 pm

Need more water
The snow globe is always half full
myell
Sugarloafer

Postby b632 » Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:41 am

So, is snow making back on track at this point? Is it pumps? Is it lack of water (seems hard to believe)? What is the real deal
Stop thinking and end your problems. -Lao Tzu
b632
Sugarloafer

Postby Glade Monkey » Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:52 am

b632 wrote:So, is snow making back on track at this point? Is it pumps? Is it lack of water (seems hard to believe)? What is the real deal

I think they're back. They were blowing all over the mountain this past weekend from top of gauge ext to bottom of Tote and Candyside. Ramdown looked to be TTB and Spillway XC was lit up.
MId mountain seemed to have its own weather microsystem with snowgun induced fog lowering visibilty to a few feet in places!!!
Ski season is too short
Glade Monkey
Sugarloafer

Postby skiloaf » Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:10 pm

They have been pushing hard. Not sure how many guns but entire king pine bowl, gauge, and window, scoot, horseshoe. Before the new mid mountain pump house no way they could have guns across the mt.
skiloaf
Sugarloafer

Postby myell » Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:43 pm

Brand new guns on ramdown turned out a really excellent surface!! Kudos to the team for getting it done despite the delays with construction this summer.
The snow globe is always half full
myell
Sugarloafer

Postby darkwizard » Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:06 am

myell wrote:Brand new guns on ramdown turned out a really excellent surface!! Kudos to the team for getting it done despite the delays with construction this summer.

That's great news to hear! And a 1st hand account of snow conditions. I'm heading up Sunday to verify. Thanks myell!
darkwizard
Sugarloafer

Postby Glade Monkey » Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:08 am

Great to have KP open but too bad the only open trail off the top was Ramdown.
Widowmaker, Flume and more could have been open if they had groomed more, maybe even Haulback.
Ski season is too short
Glade Monkey
Sugarloafer

Postby Frontface » Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:35 pm

Last Friday there were a bunch of trails open off the top of King PIne. They all skied great: Ram Down, Widowmaker, Flume, Choker, were in mid-season shape. Flume and Choker were groomed and Widowmaker was "au natural." They all had plenty of snow so I assume they'll be open again soon. Haulback needs more snow. There were a couple of "whales" that I assumed were going to be spread around but I think the trail is still lacking a sustantial base.
Frontface
Sugarloafer

Postby Gstring » Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:03 pm

Glade Monkey wrote:Great to have KP open but too bad the only open trail off the top was Ramdown.

True on Sunday. Haulback, Widowmaker, Flume, Choker and Ramdown were all open yesterday. Early riding was fantastic.
Gstring
Sugarloafer

Postby Glade Monkey » Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:23 pm

Gstring wrote:
Glade Monkey wrote:Great to have KP open but too bad the only open trail off the top was Ramdown.

True on Sunday. Haulback, Widowmaker, Flume, Choker and Ramdown were all open yesterday. Early riding was fantastic.

Yup - wish there was an edit on here. Sunday was a cluster**** on Ramdown, especially with what seemed like groups of Instagrammers stopping in the middle to video their friends coming down. Got duped by WSKI saying Widowmaker was groomed but alas it was roped off.
Ski season is too short
Glade Monkey
Sugarloafer

Postby skiloaf » Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:55 pm

Nitro and Gondi extension came offline ending what I assume is main mt snowmaking unless there is a big thaw/rain.

I think cruiser was the only trail with snowmaking that wasn’t hit.

Continued snowmaking on west mountain. Feels like 8+ days. Maybe they have to push around snow where there aren’t guns?
skiloaf
Sugarloafer

Previous

Return to Snow Conditions, Weather, etc.