Wednesday Snow Storm

A place to discuss current weather, snow, and trail conditions, plus lift status and upcoming storms.

Wednesday Snow Storm

Postby cccski » Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:59 am

To all Sugarloafers:

The Tuesday night into Wednesday storm which was originally forecasted as a rain event has transmogrified into a snow event.....an all snow event.

As of 6:30 AM on 11/20, according to the National Weather Service for Sugarloaf Mountain at an elevation of 2172 feet, the snow is supposed to start after midnight on Tuesday night with a low of 20 degrees for a 2-4 inch snow total by morning. Then, an additional 3-7 inches throughout the day on Wednesday with a high of 31 degrees, then back into the 20s for Wednesday night and Thanksgiving day. Of course, since this is Sugarloaf, wind is forecasted for the entire period from NW to S to NW.

The original forecasts from three days ago went from 40 degrees and rain to 35 degrees and rain/snow to 32 degrees and snow with a brief transition to rain then back to snow and now to snow for the entirety of the storm.

I posted on Weather Geek topic yesterday on how to use the NWS website to get spot forecasts for different elevations on the mountain. And if you want an in depth analysis, you can click on forecast discussion. Some of the meteorologists actually have a bit of a sense of humor in the discussions once you get to know them.

I can't believe we can break out the fatties this soon.

Unfortunately, I ain't got the legs for any of this, but I'll manage somehow.
cccski
Sugarloafer

Re: Wednesday Snow Storm

Postby Pow on the Mao » Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:25 am

its a thanksgiving miracle!
i found my soul on the ripsaw skin track
Pow on the Mao
Sugarloafer

Postby cccski » Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:35 am

As of 6:30 11/21, NWS for Sugarloaf at 2172 feet still shows a pretty nice storm although, now, with some wintry mix at the end. Snow accumulations look to be in the 5-11 inch range. Temps will rise to right around freezing for Wednesday night, but the wind will switch from SE to NW around midnight. Thanksgiving day now looks to be in the low thirties and mostly cloudy. Could be a heck of a lot worse.

Weather in New England changes rapidly as all Sugarloafers know.

As Mark Twain said, "If you don't like the weather in New England, wait a few minutes."
cccski
Sugarloafer

Postby mapg33k » Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:39 am

mapg33k
Sugarloafer

Return to Snow Conditions, Weather, etc.