Here it is!

A place to discuss current weather, snow, and trail conditions, plus lift status and upcoming storms.

Here it is!

Postby DoubleBitter » Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:52 am

DoubleBitter
Sugarloafer

Re: Here it is!

Postby gondicar » Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:52 pm

Access to recreational sports is integral to a well-rounded life. Maine Adaptive Sports & Recreation is a year-round program teaching adaptive skiing and other sports activities to people with disabilities ages 4 and up: http://www.maineadaptive.org/
gondicar
Sugarloafer

Postby shot ski » Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:46 pm

Not surprised to see killington open for turns this weekend. Gotta be one of the earliest on record
shot ski
Sugarloafer

Postby Glade Monkey » Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:02 pm

shot ski wrote:Not surprised to see killington open for turns this weekend. Gotta be one of the earliest on record

Not even close!
Lots of October openings… even SR has been open by Halloween a few times.

https://www.killington.com/plan-your-trip/getting-here/operating-schedule/historical-open-close
Ski season is too short
Glade Monkey
Sugarloafer

Postby Andrew B. » Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:19 pm

Glade Monkey wrote:
shot ski wrote:Not surprised to see killington open for turns this weekend. Gotta be one of the earliest on record

Not even close!

https://www.killington.com/plan-your-trip/getting-here/operating-schedule/historical-open-close

About 10-12 years ago we skied T2 the Thursday after Columbus Day. I want to say 10/12-15th???
Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip
And come on up to the Mothership
Andrew B.
King Masshole

Postby Glade Monkey » Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:31 pm

Andrew B. wrote:
Glade Monkey wrote:

Not even close!

About 10-12 years ago we skied T2 the Thursday after Columbus Day. I want to say 10/12-15th???

Bunch of October opening dates here including the 14th 09/10 season
https://www.newenglandskihistory.com/Maine/sundayriver.php
Ski season is too short
Glade Monkey
Sugarloafer

Postby shot ski » Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:44 am

Ah , that makes a lot of sense. Some of those early 90s dates are impressive with the older snowmaking tech. I guess it's been a late start last 5 years but now that you mention it I do remember some SR halloween skiing recently.
shot ski
Sugarloafer

Postby gondicar » Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:31 pm

shot ski wrote:Ah , that makes a lot of sense. Some of those early 90s dates are impressive with the older snowmaking tech. I guess it's been a late start last 5 years but now that you mention it I do remember some SR halloween skiing recently.

It was much more of a race to open first back in the 90s, for two reasons:
1. Less consolidation meant more intense competition among the resorts, particularly between SL and SR. Are you familiar with the early/mid 90s “ski wars”? Let me tell you it was a real thing.
2. The resorts relied a lot more on PR to get the word out before there was any social media or other digital channels to allow direct real time communication with customers. Being first meant you got the biggest PR bang.
Access to recreational sports is integral to a well-rounded life. Maine Adaptive Sports & Recreation is a year-round program teaching adaptive skiing and other sports activities to people with disabilities ages 4 and up: http://www.maineadaptive.org/
gondicar
Sugarloafer

Postby SpillwayEast » Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:14 am

Long term forecast looks 'warmish' thru to thanksgiving............its opening on the 17th in jeopardy?
SpillwayEast
Sugarloafer

Postby darkwizard » Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:19 pm

SpillwayEast wrote:Long term forecast looks 'warmish' thru to thanksgiving............its opening on the 17th in jeopardy?

I'd say let em rip tomorrow through Monday or so.
darkwizard
Sugarloafer

Postby cccski » Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:47 am

A few years ago, Killington opened in mid-October up high on the North Ridge chair with Rime and Reason to ski. I had only skied in October once before in my life at Brighton, Utah in 1982. So, I drove 3 hours to ride up the gondola, hike down a series of metal steps to reach the top of the North Ridge chair. There, I was confronted with too many skiers skiing 400 vertical feet of sort of snow on two trails. Well, I had heard of the reputation of Killington skiers resembling anal orifices. I can only say, that reputation was well deserved. There was a long line for the chair and I was in the singles line. The chair was a triple in those days. I moved into position with two old fat asses who tried to block me from the chair so they could ride alone despite the crowd. To avoid getting beaned by the chair, I had to throw myself in a fat ass lap, then shove him over for the ride. I was then forced to hip check him to get off the chair. Later I rode the chair with a guy from NYC in a full face helmet describing driving up the Taconic Parkway at 120 mph and how he likes to ski really, really fast. Yikes! Was I glad to get out of there. A month later, I was at my beloved Sugarloaf enjoying pleasant, enthusiastic conversations on the Superquad with nice human beings instead of whatever species it is that inhabits the "Beast of the East". Little did I know that described the creatures that ski there.
cccski
Sugarloafer

Postby k2trav » Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:57 am

darkwizard wrote:
SpillwayEast wrote:Long term forecast looks 'warmish' thru to thanksgiving............its opening on the 17th in jeopardy?

There not ready yet, still working on putting things back together, the 17th is iffy but can be done, 9 days to go
http://www.sugarloafoutside.com
k2trav
Sugarloafer For Life

Postby SpillwayEast » Wed Nov 08, 2023 12:43 pm

k2trav wrote:
darkwizard wrote:

There not ready yet, still working on putting things back together, the 17th is iffy but can be done, 9 days to go

Has the debris been cleaned out at the pump station on the Carrabassett.......that is usually a last minute task.
SpillwayEast
Sugarloafer

Postby cccski » Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:45 am

Hey, K2Trav, do you know the snowmaking plan for this early season given the new pump house, HKD guns and Klik hydrants off the summit?

I'm sure they will do Tote as usual from the top of the Superquad. Any idea if they will try to work up high with Upper Tote, Tote Extension, or Timberline?

If they get the infrastructure done, it looks like a decent snowmaking window from Friday night through Monday night and, even, Tuesday night.
cccski
Sugarloafer

Postby EXILED » Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:02 pm

Heard from one source that they were going to start on TL and Chillway...of course that source may have been into the brandy at 7:15AM...
Words of wisdom, Lloyd, words of wisdom...
EXILED
Head Zipe

Postby k2trav » Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:17 pm

cccski wrote:Hey, K2Trav, do you know the snowmaking plan for this early season given the new pump house, HKD guns and Klik hydrants off the summit?

I'm sure they will do Tote as usual from the top of the Superquad. Any idea if they will try to work up high with Upper Tote, Tote Extension, or Timberline?

If they get the infrastructure done, it looks like a decent snowmaking window from Friday night through Monday night and, even, Tuesday night.

Heard they were going from the summit, All of Tote Road is 100 guns, they claim they can run 260 so we'll see what they do. This is probably the best stretch of cold early season we've ever had, its a shame noone planned for that
k2trav
Sugarloafer For Life

Postby cccski » Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:59 pm

Thanks so much! I knew if anyone would know K2trav would.

I am 70 yo and getting so excited for this season, I can't stand it.

This is my 61st year on skis and I am as excited as when I was 9; Fischer wood skis with Cubco bindings skiing at Skiland in East Bern, NY. Rope tows run by a truck rear wheel with the tire removed and a detachable J bar with a left hand turn! You actually skied back to the J bar through a beautiful apple orchard. Great cheeseburgers.

Got some snow this AM at my house and went for a long walk in the woods. My new puppy had never seen snow before and watching her utter amazement mirrored my own.
cccski
Sugarloafer

Postby ja_loaf » Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:23 pm

Has anyone seen any guns working yet?
ja_loaf
Sugarloafer

Postby k2trav » Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:43 am

Not yet, but listening to the radio 1142 and snowmakers are talking so could be soon
k2trav
Sugarloafer For Life

Postby b632 » Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:56 am

cccski wrote:Thanks so much! I knew if anyone would know K2trav would.

I am 70 yo and getting so excited for this season, I can't stand it.

This is my 61st year on skis and I am as excited as when I was 9; Fischer wood skis with Cubco bindings skiing at Skiland in East Bern, NY. Rope tows run by a truck rear wheel with the tire removed and a detachable J bar with a left hand turn! You actually skied back to the J bar through a beautiful apple orchard. Great cheeseburgers.

Got some snow this AM at my house and went for a long walk in the woods. My new puppy had never seen snow before and watching her utter amazement mirrored my own.

Yeah!! That is the spirit!! You old bastard…still loving it! I’m only just behind you in trips around the sun and I to am so psyched for the season.. my 10 yr old grandson keeps it interesting … he bashes the bumps MUCH better than I can.
Stop thinking and end your problems. -Lao Tzu
b632
Sugarloafer

Postby SKIER iZ PrO » Fri Nov 10, 2023 5:06 pm

Guns are going on Tote!!
SKIER iZ PrO
Sugarloafer

Postby darkwizard » Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:08 pm

SKIER iZ PrO wrote:Guns are going on Tote!!

Yeeha
darkwizard
Sugarloafer

Postby cccski » Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:56 am

Looking at the Beach webcam this fine morning, you can see guns going on Tote, Candyside and Kings.

To quote Austin Powers, "Yeeah, Baby!"
cccski
Sugarloafer

Postby myell » Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:44 am

Such a beautiful sight!!! Sure looks like a lot of guns running at the same time too. Heard from refresher that they improved the setup on boardwalk this year - not sure how, but should allow them to open it earlier.
The snow globe is always half full
myell
Sugarloafer

Postby myell » Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:52 am

Mountain report says upper and lower timberline are going too. Wowwwww! Now that’s impressive. Well done mountain ops. Best snowmaking I’ve ever seen at the loaf.
The snow globe is always half full
myell
Sugarloafer

Postby cccski » Sun Nov 12, 2023 8:28 am

According to the Mountain Report, they are running 235 guns. According to K2Trav, they can run 260 max. Just think, all of Timberline, Tote Road top to bottom, Bridle Chain, Kings Landing and Candyside all at once. Is it just me, or is this a first due to the low E guns and new pump house?

The Mountain Report also says if you see a snowmaker, thank a snowmaker. For years now especially in the early season, when I see the snowmakers tramping along, I randomly ski up to them and give them a $20 tip. I sequester $100 in fresh $20 bills in my wallet for just this purpose. I will tell you, they are surprised and appreciative when I do it.

So, consider tipping a snowmaker. They sure deserve it.
cccski
Sugarloafer

Postby DoubleBitter » Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:18 pm

Webcam looks like they're blowing on Boardwalk too! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K77ahIkmPGw
DoubleBitter
Sugarloafer

Postby blkdiamondskier » Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:40 pm

DoubleBitter wrote:Webcam looks like they're blowing on Boardwalk too! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K77ahIkmPGw

I think that is just the snowmaking cloud from Candyside coming over. It can be hard to differentiate all the trails in the middle from that webcam.
blkdiamondskier
Sugarloafer

Postby Pow on the Mao » Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:11 am

myell wrote:Mountain report says upper and lower timberline are going too. Wowwwww! Now that’s impressive. Well done mountain ops. Best snowmaking I’ve ever seen at the loaf.

i think post covid they opened TL real early on to spread people.. this was the 'only ride with people in your car' year. but i think they've kept that approach since? i love it. sunny mellow laps early season with a view. vs. a sugarloaf sunset at 1:30pm on kings. can't wait for the days of bucksaw to TL early season combo.
i found my soul on the ripsaw skin track
Pow on the Mao
Sugarloafer

Postby WrathOfAramark » Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:09 pm

Super quad is turning now (3 PM on Nov 15). Maybe sneaky soft start tomorrow one day early?
WrathOfAramark
Sugarloafer

Location: If I said I was born and raised 1 mile from the NH border, would you still think me a Masshole?

Next

Return to Snow Conditions, Weather, etc.