Weather Log 2023-2024

A place to discuss current weather, snow, and trail conditions, plus lift status and upcoming storms.

Re: Weather Log 2023-2024

Postby SpillwayEast » Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:03 pm

Need snow for sure. Luckily there doesnt seem to be a big warm up during vacation week. Will they break out any snow guns to improve the surface on some high traffic areas?
SpillwayEast
Sugarloafer

Postby Alpiner » Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:23 pm

SpillwayEast wrote:Will they break out any snow guns to improve the surface on some high traffic areas?

They should. Conditions are shit. Which reminds me, I am utterly mystified why Spillway was left ungroomed today. It is barely usable, consisting of a mixture of hockey ice and random piles of granulated ice. I often don't understand the management of that trail. It seems like a showcase trail to me, being under one of the two most important lifts on the mountain. As such it seems like keeping it in top condition should be a marketing and PR priority, but what do I know.
Bring back King Pine T-bar, Lower Binder, Rascals, Haywire park.
Alpiner
Sugarloafer

Postby Glade Monkey » Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:05 am

Glade Monkey wrote:The snow on the trails can only be ground and reground so many times before even the snow reporters run out of adjectives.

Alpiner wrote: It is barely usable, consisting of a mixture of hockey ice and random piles of granulated ice.

They can use that or reference some of the types of snow from the classic book “Smilla’s Sense of Snow”
Ski season is too short
Glade Monkey
Sugarloafer

Postby cveccentric » Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:40 am

Conditions Repot = TFT = Tilted Frozen Tundra!
cveccentric
Sugarloafer

Postby Glade Monkey » Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:38 am

cveccentric wrote:Conditions Repot = TFT = Tilted Frozen Tundra!

Perfect day to run #3T...it was "ready to go" the other day (shows as OPEN on the interactive map)
Ski season is too short
Glade Monkey
Sugarloafer

Postby SpillwayEast » Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:45 am

Alpiner wrote:
SpillwayEast wrote:Will they break out any snow guns to improve the surface on some high traffic areas?

They should. Conditions are shit. Which reminds me, I am utterly mystified why Spillway was left ungroomed today. It is barely usable, consisting of a mixture of hockey ice and random piles of granulated ice. I often don't understand the management of that trail. It seems like a showcase trail to me, being under one of the two most important lifts on the mountain. As such it seems like keeping it in top condition should be a marketing and PR priority, but what do I know.

I agree. Spillway has always been a longtime favorite and after a big storm can have some of the best bumps on the mountain and when groomed can be a top 3 high speed cruiser.
SpillwayEast
Sugarloafer

Postby shot ski » Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:43 pm

shot ski wrote:All quiet on the western front

Brutal February , still pretty quiet on the 10 day look ahead.
shot ski
Sugarloafer

Postby SpillwayEast » Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:42 am

@SugarloafSnow reports that KP is on wind hold this morning. Has it been scheduled any other day this week?
SpillwayEast
Sugarloafer

Postby Glade Monkey » Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:23 pm

SpillwayEast wrote:@SugarloafSnow reports that KP is on wind hold this morning. Has it been scheduled any other day this week?

It was scheduled yesterday since they knew that Timberline wasn't going to run, but spent most of the day on wind hold. I'm tracking it's schedule in the weather log notes
Ski season is too short
Glade Monkey
Sugarloafer

Postby Glade Monkey » Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:27 am

Still way behind for February snowfall total but the recent 2” allowed the mountain to reopen 11 trails :shock:
Ski season is too short
Glade Monkey
Sugarloafer

Postby Mr. Vesper » Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:46 am

Golf Course may open early this year!!
Sugarloafer Since 1957
The JD Man has Returned
Mr. Vesper
Sugarloafer

Postby essslsclsact » Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:06 am

Usually when snow is low there’s a big dump in April. Skiing well into Spring.
Going strong as a Loafer Since The 70s

Location Portland Area
essslsclsact
Sugarloafer

Postby Glade Monkey » Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:02 pm

essslsclsact wrote:Usually when snow is low there’s a big dump in April. Skiing well into Spring.

Ski season is too short
Glade Monkey
Sugarloafer

Postby SpillwayEast » Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:35 am

Conditions should be interesting after the rain on wed and the plummeting temps.............sharpen your edges.
SpillwayEast
Sugarloafer

Postby Alpiner » Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:24 pm

SpillwayEast wrote:Conditions should be interesting after the rain on wed and the plummeting temps.............sharpen your edges.

Not even going to try. Carving season is over. Switching to the all-mtn setup now and will just skid around on the ice until spring. :(

This season is going to take a miracle. So far it is the worst that I can remember. It never got going. Or maybe that year it was 85 in March was worse, not sure.
Alpiner
Sugarloafer

Postby SpillwayEast » Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:11 pm

Alpiner wrote:
SpillwayEast wrote:Conditions should be interesting after the rain on wed and the plummeting temps.............sharpen your edges.

Not even going to try. Carving season is over. Switching to the all-mtn setup now and will just skid around on the ice until spring. :(

This season is going to take a miracle. So far it is the worst that I can remember. It never got going. Or maybe that year it was 85 in March was worse, not sure.

Yah I agree.......I cant remember a season like this. There might have been worse in the 70's or 80's but mostly due to lack of snowmaking. I've seen the snowmobile season end mid march but never this early. Clubs are calling it a season unless maine gets dumped on in March which doesn't look like will happen..........warm temps are coming too.
SpillwayEast
Sugarloafer

Postby gondicar » Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:50 am

Alpiner wrote: So far it is the worst that I can remember. It never got going. Or maybe that year it was 85 in March was worse, not sure.

Very similar to 97-98, which still holds the record in Bangor for least amount of snow in Feb ever (unless they get 1/10th o an inch when the cold through goes through tonight, this year will break the record). Portland is about the same.
Access to recreational sports is integral to a well-rounded life. Maine Adaptive Sports & Recreation is a year-round program teaching adaptive skiing and other sports activities to people with disabilities ages 4 and up: http://www.maineadaptive.org/
gondicar
Sugarloafer

Postby SpillwayEast » Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:05 pm

With todays warm temps followed by single digits tonight and tomorrow with high winds Saddleback has already announced they will be closed tomorrow. Will be interesting what opens at Sugarloaf..............if anything.
SpillwayEast
Sugarloafer

Postby Alpiner » Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:58 am

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 2092078038

Sugarloaf really needs to cut the shit with promoting 200" average annual snowfall on current media. When was the last time that even happened? 10 years ago? Sure, leave it buried on a web page about mountain stats, but to actively push it now is just bad optics if not dishonest. :roll:
Alpiner
Sugarloafer

Postby Glade Monkey » Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:18 am

SpillwayEast wrote:With todays warm temps followed by single digits tonight and tomorrow with high winds Saddleback has already announced they will be closed tomorrow. Will be interesting what opens at Sugarloaf..............if anything.

LIFT STATUS UPDATES
LAST UPDATED: THURSDAY, 10:07 AM

Skidway is running as scheduled. DRC-B is now open. Snubber has gone on windhold. Bucksaw Express is starting the day on conditions hold while grooming wraps up. Skyline, Superquad, King Pine, and Whiffletree have been put on conditions closure for the day.
=====================
Down to 50 open trails with "boilerplate" mentioned in the report.
BTW - SR & Loon have snowmaking online or planned now it is cold enough again. No mention of that by the Loaf.
Ski season is too short
Glade Monkey
Sugarloafer

Postby darkwizard » Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:30 am

Glade Monkey wrote:BTW - SR & Loon have snowmaking online or planned now it is cold enough again. No mention of that by the Loaf.

If there was ever a time to make a push to give it all you got, I would guess it is as soon as the winds let up enough and through until the temps don't allow which looks like Saturday morning. Looks warmish for awhile after that.
darkwizard
Sugarloafer

Postby WrathOfAramark » Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:18 pm

Glade Monkey, I made a copy of the spreadsheet to play with and I've made a "Charting and Average" sheet to track accurately the per day snow totals over the years and create a per date average snow total. Should make making the snowfall chart easier in the future. Are you OK if I add it to the official tracking sheet at the end as "experimental"?

BTW: Thank you for the daily tracking. I've added a few things over the years during oddball days when weather changes, but you are a hero. I would love to buy you a beer in thanks some time at Sugarloaf or over in Rangeley.
WrathOfAramark
Sugarloafer

Location: If I said I was born and raised 1 mile from the NH border, would you still think me a Masshole?

Postby Glade Monkey » Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:07 am

WrathOfAramark wrote:

Glade Monkey, I made a copy of the spreadsheet to play with and I've made a "Charting and Average" sheet to track accurately the per day snow totals over the years and create a per date average snow total. Should make making the snowfall chart easier in the future. Are you OK if I add it to the official tracking sheet at the end as "experimental"?

BTW: Thank you for the daily tracking. I've added a few things over the years during oddball days when weather changes, but you are a hero. I would love to buy you a beer in thanks some time at Sugarloaf or over in Rangeley.

Sounds good - it’s a public doc so additions are welcome!
Thanks for the shout out & offer. ! I never say no to beer….next planned visit to the Loaf is St Patty's weekend. That said it’s been a labor of love and become part of my morning routine, which is why I’m on here now to check where yesterday ended and how today will start.
Ski season is too short
Glade Monkey
Sugarloafer

Postby WrathOfAramark » Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:26 pm

Alright, should be in and working now.

The snowfall chart was always a little wonky looking to me, it had weird starting point offsets for the lines when the totals started, and data itself seemed misaligned. You must have fought with the sheet so hard to create those data series just to show something close to accurate. You have way more patience than me.

So I created an averages tab, it uses Vlookup based on the date to go grab the cumulative total from the respective season tab using that specific date, if it fails because the date doesn't exist (there's a few holes in the season spreadsheet or weird start dates), there's an error, it then uses that error to determine if it should just carry the last value or use the update value. There's some manual futzing that is done around the leap year date so it doesn't look like a drop on that one day or misalign all the data after Feb 28. After that preprocessing it's easy to do an average across the seasons based on date and have everything line up.

So for next season, when you create the new season tab it'll be easy to just create a new column for vlookup, do the error correction and leap day futzing, Bob's your uncle, the graph has a new series without wanting to pull your hair out.
WrathOfAramark
Sugarloafer

Location: If I said I was born and raised 1 mile from the NH border, would you still think me a Masshole?

Postby Glade Monkey » Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:36 am

WrathOfAramark wrote:Alright, should be in and working now.

The snowfall chart was always a little wonky looking to me, it had weird starting point offsets for the lines when the totals started, and data itself seemed misaligned. You must have fought with the sheet so hard to create those data series just to show something close to accurate. You have way more patience than me.

So I created an averages tab, it uses Vlookup based on the date to go grab the cumulative total from the respective season tab using that specific date, if it fails because the date doesn't exist (there's a few holes in the season spreadsheet or weird start dates), there's an error, it then uses that error to determine if it should just carry the last value or use the update value. There's some manual futzing that is done around the leap year date so it doesn't look like a drop on that one day or misalign all the data after Feb 28. After that preprocessing it's easy to do an average across the seasons based on date and have everything line up.

So for next season, when you create the new season tab it'll be easy to just create a new column for vlookup, do the error correction and leap day futzing, Bob's your uncle, the graph has a new series without wanting to pull your hair out.

Nice work! Definitely a vast improvement over the mis-aligned one I dumped in last season after requests. 23/24 was trending to be an above average season for snowfall until February, now it could be the worst :cry:
Next up will be requests for daily temps, rainfall, % of cloud cover..... :lol:
Ski season is too short
Glade Monkey
Sugarloafer

Postby Glade Monkey » Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:52 pm

First inch of snow reported in March today, and also the first in a a fortnight.
Hope the logjam is over!
Ski season is too short
Glade Monkey
Sugarloafer

Postby Glade Monkey » Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:24 am

Winter returns (is it #2 or 3?)
5” reported overnight & still coming down. Expected to continue all day & possibly overnight.
12 lifts scheduled (KP still on maint hold) but at least 9 will start on wind hold. Suspect Skidway, Moosecalator & CVA Tbar will open (perhaps #3 will be added/opened)

Remember the uphill rule: Uphill Access is only open to point of the highest lift spinning for ski patrol coverage.
Ski season is too short
Glade Monkey
Sugarloafer

Postby WrathOfAramark » Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:46 am

It's snowing. At least 4" up reported. I'm about the same elevation as the base lodge and I have a dense two inches so far. And no wind.
WrathOfAramark
Sugarloafer

Postby Glade Monkey » Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:53 am

WrathOfAramark wrote:It's snowing. At least 4" up reported. I'm about the same elevation as the base lodge and I have a dense two inches so far. And no wind.

Only halfway through the month and already more than double February's total!!! :D
Ski season is too short
Glade Monkey
Sugarloafer

Postby Glade Monkey » Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:58 am

Baby steps....no lifts yesterday. Skidway only today.
That 11" came with TWO FEET of wind.
Hoping for less wind after Saturday night!
If the storm brings more than 8" then March total will be highest in WeatherLog history!

Ski season is too short
Glade Monkey
Sugarloafer

PreviousNext

Return to Snow Conditions, Weather, etc.