Weather Log 2023-2024

A place to discuss current weather, snow, and trail conditions, plus lift status and upcoming storms.

Re: Weather Log 2023-2024

Postby Glade Monkey » Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:52 am

k2trav wrote:
Glade Monkey wrote:One thing you can count on is Timberline being on wind hold :roll:
3rd day in a row, 6th time in last 8 days & 11 of the past 15 days
Put another way, it hasn't gone on wind hold only 4 days in the last fortnight.
Need a more reliable lift to the summit

Its not always because of wind, its because of not enough staff to run Timberline, wind is an amazing excuse but not always the reason, I bet when Bucksaw opens King pine will run less

already starting?
1/30/24 mtn rpt - "We'll have calm winds today so Timberline will load at 9am; Kingpine will remain closed."
Ski season is too short
Glade Monkey
Sugarloafer

Postby Pow on the Mao » Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:49 pm

1-2" overnight. another inversion. more snow low than high. skied great.
i found my soul on the ripsaw skin track
Pow on the Mao
Sugarloafer

Postby Glade Monkey » Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:10 am

With 49" reported in January, it was the snowiest in the 5 years of weather log tracking!
Come on snowy February & March!
Ski season is too short
Glade Monkey
Sugarloafer

Postby Alpiner » Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:01 pm

skiMEbike wrote:So is this the official end of Winter 2 !?

In my mind, the joke is that these thaws feel like season changes. We haven't had a thaw since the big one that started on 12/18, so I'd say Winter 2 is still going strong.

Glade Monkey wrote:With 49" reported in January, it was the snowiest in the 5 years of weather log tracking!
Come on snowy February & March!

It's been pretty good, although with a rain-freeze that has entombed most of those gains until spring. We are really skiing on 5" over ice. It will take another dump to get into the woods. But the mountain looks great. Conditions are much better today than yesterday, which was super firm.
Bring back King Pine T-bar, Lower Binder, Rascals, Haywire park.
Alpiner
Sugarloafer

Postby High Ball » Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:32 pm

k2trav wrote:
Glade Monkey wrote:One thing you can count on is Timberline being on wind hold :roll:

Its not always because of wind, its because of not enough staff to run Timberline, wind is an amazing excuse but not always the reason, I bet when Bucksaw opens King pine will run less

Looks like they didn't wait to dial back King Pine. Have we seen the end of it running mid-week ????
High Ball
Sugarloafer

Postby shot ski » Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:28 am

All quiet on the western front
shot ski
Sugarloafer

Postby essslsclsact » Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:12 pm

High Ball wrote:
k2trav wrote:

Looks like they didn't wait to dial back King Pine. Have we seen the end of it running mid-week ????

What a travesty that would be. Such a great area with nice trails. If areas like that are not open nearly all the time the acreage should not be counted in mountain stats.
Going strong as a Loafer Since The 70s

Location Portland Area
essslsclsact
Sugarloafer

Postby gondicar » Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:38 am

essslsclsact wrote:If areas like that are not open nearly all the time the acreage should not be counted in mountain stats.

Disagree. You can lap all the KP terrain west of haulback from Skyline, and you can access haulback and points east from Skyline you don’t mind going all the way to the base as long as crosshaul is open.
Access to recreational sports is integral to a well-rounded life. Maine Adaptive Sports & Recreation is a year-round program teaching adaptive skiing and other sports activities to people with disabilities ages 4 and up: http://www.maineadaptive.org/
gondicar
Sugarloafer

Postby loafman207 » Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:10 pm

Not running king pine during the week is wild if true. Saddleback even runs their T-bar during the week.
loafman207
Sugarloafer

Postby Glade Monkey » Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:44 pm

loafman207 wrote:Not running king pine during the week is wild if true. Saddleback even runs their T-bar during the week.

Pretty sure that has been going on for at least the past 2 seasons. KP only opens midweek when Brackett is open.
Ski season is too short
Glade Monkey
Sugarloafer

Postby High Ball » Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:14 am

loafman207 wrote:Not running king pine during the week is wild if true. Saddleback even runs their T-bar during the week.

What’s so wild about it?
High Ball
Sugarloafer

Postby Rossignolsoul7 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:07 am

KP is far from being a necessity when the mountain isn't crowded. With the new Bucksaw opening on Friday, you can probably kiss KP goodbye for weekdays forever and, for future weekends, KP will become "extra-extra sensitive" to wind holds.
Rossignolsoul7
Sugarloafer

Postby Pow on the Mao » Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:29 am

i think its wild. it opens last and closes first. its our most scarce resource. accesses SL's biggest marketing gimmick, some of the steepest terrain on hill. forces a long flat crosscut and 2 lift rides back up when closed.
i understand the why. but i contend it is a big deal. especially in tree season. prior to tree season less of a big deal
Pow on the Mao
Sugarloafer

Postby Alpiner » Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:25 pm

Pow on the Mao wrote:accesses SL's biggest marketing gimmick

You mean King Pine "Bowl"? :lol:

Or Brackett Basin/Burnt which is only open when conditions are at least A-?

prior to tree season less of a big deal

I'd say we're still prior to tree season.

Rossignolsoul7 wrote:With the new Bucksaw opening on Friday, you can probably kiss KP goodbye for weekdays forever

Definitely, while staffing remains a challenge.
Alpiner
Sugarloafer

Postby High Ball » Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:08 pm

Pow on the Mao wrote:i think its wild. it opens last and closes first. its our most scarce resource. accesses SL's biggest marketing gimmick, some of the steepest terrain on hill. forces a long flat crosscut and 2 lift rides back up when closed.
i understand the why. but i contend it is a big deal. especially in tree season. prior to tree season less of a big deal

Well, some terrain in BB opened today and KP ran. I think someone posted that it will be closed mid-week unless BB is open. So much for what the rest of us know. I still don't think it's a big deal either way. What's the marketing gimmick you're talking about?
High Ball
Sugarloafer

Postby Pow on the Mao » Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:02 pm

High Ball wrote:
Well, some terrain in BB opened today

must have been all that we've got in the last week to open BB on monday :roll:
Pow on the Mao
Sugarloafer

Postby Glade Monkey » Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:25 pm

High Ball wrote:
Pow on the Mao wrote:i think its wild. it opens last and closes first. its our most scarce resource. accesses SL's biggest marketing gimmick, some of the steepest terrain on hill. forces a long flat crosscut and 2 lift rides back up when closed.

Well, some terrain in BB opened today and KP ran. I think someone posted that it will be closed mid-week unless BB is open. So much for what the rest of us know. I still don't think it's a big deal either way. What's the marketing gimmick you're talking about?

History shows King Pine doesn't run Tues-Thu unless a significant amount of Brackett is open. It "sat out" today according to the mtn rpt even though a bunch of BB is still open, and it did not run Tue-Thu last week before BB re-opened.
Guessing it will run everyday next week thanks to the holiday and school vacation (winds permitting)
Ski season is too short
Glade Monkey
Sugarloafer

Postby High Ball » Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:19 pm

Glade Monkey wrote:
High Ball wrote:

History shows King Pine doesn't run Tues-Thu unless a significant amount of Brackett is open. It "sat out" today according to the mtn rpt even though a bunch of BB is still open, and it did not run Tue-Thu last week before BB re-opened.
Guessing it will run everyday next week thanks to the holiday and school vacation (winds permitting)

Anything can happen !! :lol:
High Ball
Sugarloafer

Postby Alpiner » Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:08 pm

Maine and Mass school vacation is Feb 16-23. NH is Feb 26 - Mar 1.
Alpiner
Sugarloafer

Postby k2trav » Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:01 pm

Glade Monkey wrote:
High Ball wrote:

What are you talking about. King Pine always ran weekdays until March 15 2020, after that not so much, but it ran on weekdays well before Brackett ever existed and ran until Reggae weekend
http://www.sugarloafoutside.com
k2trav
Sugarloafer For Life

Postby Glade Monkey » Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:51 am

k2trav wrote:
Glade Monkey wrote:Recent history shows King Pine doesn't run Tues-Thu unless a significant amount of Brackett is open. It "sat out" today according to the mtn rpt even though a bunch of BB is still open, and it did not run Tue-Thu last week before BB re-opened.

What are you talking about. King Pine always ran weekdays until March 15 2020, after that not so much, but it ran on weekdays well before Brackett ever existed and ran until Reggae weekend

You’re right, I sorta fixed my comment :oops:
Ski season is too short
Glade Monkey
Sugarloafer

Postby Pow on the Mao » Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:39 pm

i rode it today (wednesday) haulback was the best trail on the hill this morning. brackett looked.... bad. however, many of the rocks i was complaining about are now gone. much improved, great work by ops. grooming is a wonderful thing.
we need new snow. snow surface is starting to get old. lots of cookie snow today. really cold this morning and almost warm right now.
Pow on the Mao
Sugarloafer

Postby High Ball » Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:45 am

Pow on the Mao wrote:i rode it today (wednesday) haulback was the best trail on the hill this morning. brackett looked.... bad. however, many of the rocks i was complaining about are now gone. much improved, great work by ops. grooming is a wonderful thing.
we need new snow. snow surface is starting to get old. lots of cookie snow today. really cold this morning and almost warm right now.

White Nitro extension was the best trail on the mountain, not Haulback. The rocks just magically disappeared....bizarre isn't it ??? :lol: :lol:
High Ball
Sugarloafer

Postby Alpiner » Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:24 am

High Ball wrote:White Nitro extension was the best trail on the mountain, not Haulback. The rocks just magically disappeared....bizarre isn't it ??? :lol: :lol:

At the time I first mentioned them, the rocks were unreasonably bad. Like, WTF bad. If you didn't see them, either you were not skiing Skyline or you don't GAF about your skis. There were still some rocks this past Sunday at top of Spillway.
Alpiner
Sugarloafer

Postby gondicar » Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:23 pm

High Ball wrote:
Pow on the Mao wrote:i rode it today (wednesday) haulback was the best trail on the hill this morning. brackett looked.... bad. however, many of the rocks i was complaining about are now gone. much improved, great work by ops. grooming is a wonderful thing.

White Nitro extension was the best trail on the mountain, not Haulback. The rocks just magically disappeared....bizarre isn't it ??? :lol: :lol:

On Monday it was Gondi Line hands down. Sounds like I missed the extensions by a day, they must have groomed out the whales they made over the weekend?
Access to recreational sports is integral to a well-rounded life. Maine Adaptive Sports & Recreation is a year-round program teaching adaptive skiing and other sports activities to people with disabilities ages 4 and up: http://www.maineadaptive.org/
gondicar
Sugarloafer

Postby darkwizard » Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:58 pm

gondicar wrote:On Monday it was Gondi Line hands down. Sounds like I missed the extensions by a day, they must have groomed out the whales they made over the weekend?

My last run Sunday was Gondi, when I was on the lift I watched a bunch of people go down skiers right. I went had a look and the wind was blowing from the west and looked to have blown whatever snow was on skiers left over to skiers right, and sure enough, there was a surprising amount of powder on the right side for 3:00 pm. Must have groomed it all back over into the trail.
darkwizard
Sugarloafer

Postby High Ball » Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:06 am

Alpiner wrote:
High Ball wrote:White Nitro extension was the best trail on the mountain, not Haulback. The rocks just magically disappeared....bizarre isn't it ??? :lol: :lol:

At the time I first mentioned them, the rocks were unreasonably bad. Like, WTF bad. If you didn't see them, either you were not skiing Skyline or you don't GAF about your skis. There were still some rocks this past Sunday at top of Spillway.

Huh??? I was replying to Pow on the Mao
High Ball
Sugarloafer

Postby Alpiner » Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:01 pm

PotM was agreeing with me about the rocks, thought you were saying the rocks were never there. :)
Alpiner
Sugarloafer

Postby tristan » Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:30 pm

Ended the day early today with thunder and lightning and full lift closure just after 3.
tristan
Sugarloafer

Postby Glade Monkey » Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:09 am

Dear Weather Log,
Today is the 13th of February 2024. The 87th open day of the season. What started with such promise has become a challenge. Top to bottom on opening day and Brackett open in early December! That morphed into a 3 day closure for a monsoon followed by a slow rebuild of both roads and trails. We sit now with only half the trails and 1/3 of the acreage open. The natives are getting restless as only one inch of snow has fallen this month. Debates have turned to the amount of snow coating trees on areas near and far that are only visible above tree line. The shiny new lift and wide flowing intermediate trails have been anticipated twice but still not opened and have no definitive date set. The snow on the trails can only be ground and reground so many times before even the snow reporters run out of adjectives. The woods are closed and also in need of good trimming. We race to get EXT runs early before the eastern hardpack is revealed, while just a short year ago we were frolicking on the front face snowfields. School vacation week is coming while Reggae is 80 days hence. Please send snow!
Ski season is too short
Glade Monkey
Sugarloafer

PreviousNext

Return to Snow Conditions, Weather, etc.