a love letter to the snow reporter

A place to discuss current weather, snow, and trail conditions, plus lift status and upcoming storms.

a love letter to the snow reporter

Postby Pow on the Mao » Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:31 pm

for whoever is this year's snow reporter -

i don't know you - but i love you.

i need you.

i value you.

i want your tweets. i want them in real time.
i want your lift insights. i want to know when KP goes on wind hold. i want to know when TL opens. when quad goes on maintenance hold.
i wish for your intel on wind speed, direction and temp. your thoughts on snowmaking.

i dont care what the trail count is. i do care when trails open.
i love your mid day updates

i love you, snow reporter.
i love the speed at which you transfer knowledge.
i love that you love twitter.
i love that you are looking out for me.

thank you snow reporter... my love.
i found my soul on the ripsaw skin track
Pow on the Mao
Sugarloafer

Re: a love letter to the snow reporter

Postby wigman » Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:39 pm

POM is the snow reporter!!! Don’t love yourself too much, you’ll go blind.
Death by mountain
wigman
King of Reggae

Postby darkwizard » Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:13 pm

I've generally avoided any social media, but I came across some SugarloafSnow tweets with exactly the King Pine wind hold info your looking for. It checked out for the day I was there. So, I signed up for Twitter to follow SugarloafSnow. I'd assume you already know about that Twitter. Does it not quite live up to expectations?
darkwizard
Sugarloafer

Postby shot ski » Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:49 am

darkwizard wrote:I've generally avoided any social media, but I came across some SugarloafSnow tweets with exactly the King Pine wind hold info your looking for. It checked out for the day I was there. So, I signed up for Twitter to follow SugarloafSnow. I'd assume you already know about that Twitter. Does it not quite live up to expectations?

POTM is very needy (horny), try not to pay too much attention to his ramblings.
shot ski
Sugarloafer

Postby Pow on the Mao » Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:37 am

to be clear this love letter is to the snow reporter... NOT the snow forecaster known as shitski.
snowreporter spits #FACTS whereas some snow forecasters spit #HYPE :D

every year the week leading up to opening day i tweet the SL snow account "u up?"
Pow on the Mao
Sugarloafer

Postby WrathOfAramark » Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:31 am

Pow on the Mao wrote:to be clear this love letter is to the snow reporter... NOT the snow forecaster known as shitski.
snowreporter spits #FACTS whereas some snow forecasters spit #HYPE :D

every year the week leading up to opening day i tweet the SL snow account "u up?"

That HAS to be the weirdest restraining order filed in Franklin County history.
WrathOfAramark
Sugarloafer

Location: If I said I was born and raised 1 mile from the NH border, would you still think me a Masshole?

Postby wigman » Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:19 pm

I think for now the reporter needs to focus on timely updates without cutting and pasting from the day before. We are all eager here keep feeding us please.
Death by mountain
wigman
King of Reggae

Postby Glade Monkey » Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:42 am

@SugarloafSnow twitter early warning that Timberline will be on hold (again)
Ski season is too short
Glade Monkey
Sugarloafer

Postby darkwizard » Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:06 pm

Hey I'm heading up tomorrow, Maine Day tickets on my card. And I just have to give snowreporter a hard time, because we dropped 10 trails on the east side this morning and no explanation yet!! :roll:
I dunno, I'm new here, maybe snowmaking on wiffletree would be a reason?
darkwizard
Sugarloafer

Postby skiMEbike » Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:28 pm

darkwizard wrote:Hey I'm heading up tomorrow, Maine Day tickets on my card. And I just have to give snowreporter a hard time, because we dropped 10 trails on the east side this morning and no explanation yet!! :roll:
I dunno, I'm new here, maybe snowmaking on wiffletree would be a reason?

Seems odd. I was there yesterday, and you could go as far east as Widowmaker. All the trails had enough coverage even some that were closed (like Brackett). My only theory is that Lombard X-Cut was "not skiable", due to snowmaking and a couple open spots you had to avoid. IMO it was skiable and yesterday, and furthermore the terrain says for experts only...however not sure why it would not be open today ??

I also wonder if its due to staffing...Not enough patrol to open/manage that amount of open terrain?? I did hear directly from patrol yesterday, that some trails that could have been open were not due to not being "ready"....In other words not properly roped, and no padding set up on lift towers etc...
skiMEbike
Sugarloafer

Postby darkwizard » Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:36 am

The snowreport is lacking any real substance this week. So, Spillway is open as of today, groomed out and all. And looks like the warmth may have opened what are probably some favorites. Newly reported open today:

Ripsaw, Lower Spillway, Haulback, Upper Spillway
darkwizard
Sugarloafer

Postby skiloaf » Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:52 am

We've got to be 2-3 years from GPT being able to fully write these based on weather + change in trail status from previous day / week.
the jhondillah will run from the base of john diller's house to the summit
skiloaf
Sugarloafer

Postby darkwizard » Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:17 am

I'm a professional geek, so I wrote a script to do it. Just haven't scheduled it to run automatically anywhere yet. Just doing a delta on the trail status currently but am collecting all the data to report a delta on grooming too. I"m colleting lift status/wind holds data too.

----- TRAIL DELTA: 20230117-19:05-EST --> 20230118-08:31-EST
[('Ripsaw', 'Open'), ('Lower Spillway', 'Open'), ('Haulback', 'Open'), ('Upper Spillway', 'Open')]

----- TRAIL DELTA: 20230118-09:06-EST --> 20230118-10:11-EST
[('Tin Pants', 'Open')]
-----
darkwizard
Sugarloafer

Postby TOOTH » Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:50 pm

darkwizard wrote:I'm a professional geek, so I wrote a script to do it. Just haven't scheduled it to run automatically anywhere yet. Just doing a delta on the trail status currently but am collecting all the data to report a delta on grooming too. I"m colleting lift status/wind holds data too.

[('Ripsaw', 'Open'), ('Lower Spillway', 'Open'), ('Haulback', 'Open'), ('Upper Spillway', 'Open')]

[('Tin Pants', 'Open')]
-----

Tough job being a snow reporter/forecaster. :lol:
TOOTH
Sugarloafer

Postby Glade Monkey » Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:47 pm

TOOTH wrote:
darkwizard wrote:I'm a professional geek, so I wrote a script to do it. Just haven't scheduled it to run automatically anywhere yet. Just doing a delta on the trail status currently but am collecting all the data to report a delta on grooming too. I"m colleting lift status/wind holds data too.

[('Tin Pants', 'Open')]
-----

Tough job being a snow reporter/forecaster. :lol:

How often will you update this? They change trail counts multiple times during the day - both up and down.
BTW -maybe Saddleback really does get a "Lake Effect" bonus, as they have almost 150 more open acres than SL and are 97% open - most in the East! Their two trails not open are the T-bar line (probably because the t-bar is running) and America (where they are making snow).
Ski season is too short
Glade Monkey
Sugarloafer

Postby darkwizard » Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:28 pm

I've been running it a few times during the day since about 12/7. I've definitely missed a few days, but it only takes a click. Lift data since about 12/10. I could just schedule it to run on my laptop, but that sometimes goes to sleep, gets shut off. I was thinking of putting it on a server I have or AWS, web front end, but I haven't geeked out enough on my personal time to pull that together. Not sure whether the SL process is at all predictable, but I could easily schedule it to run 7:30, 9:30, 11:30, 1:30, 3:30 daily and just build the history.

Happy to see the highest trail count (I know, it's nonsense) of the year so far according to the weather log being as we are staying at Tea Pond Friday and Saturday night. I do not do social media, but I signed up for Twitter solely for the SugarloafSnow tweets. So, that led me to also follow Sugarloaf Mountain twitter. I saw what I'm pretty sure were glade skiing pictures in recent tweets. The report didn't mention any open glades other than Dropline Glade since before Christmas, but I see Broccoli Garden open today. Speaking of Saddleback, why have their glades been open all along and not at Sugarloaf? I have gathered that tight glades, and coniferous trees hold the snow better. SL oriented is oriented NE and SB NW? Don't see where that would matter too much. Maybe the lake effect you mention is real?!
darkwizard
Sugarloafer

Postby shot ski » Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:45 pm

I believe those pictures they posted were from Gondi woods which is somewhat manmade or blown in. The SB/SL theory I think lends itself more to less devastating rain at SB and less of an area to cover with the man made stuff ? Also less traffic , and less slope makes it easier to hold onto what you got.

I imagine burnt is somewhat skiable but they can’t call it open because it’s not accessible. Saddleback doesn’t have that issue with Casablanca glades so the acres add up quick.
shot ski
Sugarloafer

Postby darkwizard » Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:59 pm

I am not a glade skier yet, but car is loaded and I'm leaving now.

----- TRAIL DELTA: 20230120-08:19-EST --> 20230120-12:56-EST
[('Boomers Glade', 'Open'), ('Rough Cut Glade', 'Open'), ("Can't Dog One", 'Open'), ('Upper Stubs', 'Open'), ('Androscoggin Glade', 'Open'), ('Lower Sheerboom', 'Open'), ('Lower Rookie River Glade', 'Open'), ('Branding Ax Glade', 'Open'), ('Little Androscoggin Glade', 'Open'), ('Sweeper Glade One', 'Open'), ("Can't Dog Two", 'Open'), ('Slashfire', 'Open'), ('Horseshoe', 'Closed'), ('Upper Rookie River Glade', 'Open'), ('Logging Road', 'Open'), ('Swedish Fiddle Glade', 'Open'), ('Dropline Glade', 'Open'), ('Stubs Glade', 'Open'), ('High Ball Glade', 'Open'), ('Edger Glade One', 'Open'), ('Freds Pitch Glade', 'Open'), ('Birler Glade Two', 'Open'), ('Gondi Glade', 'Open'), ('Sweeper Glade Two', 'Open'), ('Red Horse Glade', 'Open'), ('Edger Glade Two', 'Open'), ('Blade Glade', 'Open'), ('Blacksmith Glade', 'Open'), ('Stump Shot', 'Open'), ('Sheerboom', 'Open'), ('Upper Kennebec Glade', 'Open'), ('Jackpot Glade', 'Open'), ('Birler Glade One', 'Open'), ('Lower Stubs', 'Open'), ('Good Chance X-Cut', 'Closed'), ('Barberchair Glade', 'Open'), ('Cant Hook Glade', 'Open'), ('Misery Whip', 'Open'), ("Blueberry's Grove Glade", 'Open'), ('Kickback', 'Open'), ('Lower Kennebec Glade', 'Open')]
-----
darkwizard
Sugarloafer

Postby Alpiner » Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:46 am

Snow reporter took first overall in locals racing yesterday! (former CVA racer)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/5756193 ... 654163824/
Bring back King Pine T-bar, Lower Binder, Rascals, Haywire park.
Alpiner
Sugarloafer

Postby Pow on the Mao » Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:11 pm

soooo, i did not know who the snow reporter is. want to reiterate my original letter is NOT creepy...
seems like she is doing a good job on real time trail and lift status, especially when it counts most on powder days. anyone care to give a grade? i haven't skied enough to give feedback (yet)
Pow on the Mao
Sugarloafer

Postby darkwizard » Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:34 pm

I watched THE snow reporter on wski.tv one day. I think she has done a good job, especially early on as trails were opening up. I've only been to Sugarloaf 3 times, so can't really rate on accuracy. @SugarloafSnow seems pretty good with the windholds on/off stuff. And, the new open trails been pretty good. But, when you started this thread, it sounded like you were looking for solid data and not much fluff. I find sometimes things to be a little fluffier than may be wanted, like when the marketing/events are reiterated, or saying White Nitro was the best run of the day, because I'm pretty sure that the opinion here is that trail is too scratched off all the time to bother with skiing. But, this could be when THE snow reporter was not the snow reporter. I did take a good look at White Nitro from Spillway X-Cut last thing today, I think I'll have to see how bad it is next time over there, assuming it doesn't really look bad.
darkwizard
Sugarloafer

Postby Glade Monkey » Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:14 am

There are two right? Erica J who always signs off "I'll ski ya later" and Sydney.

I'll give them a B+ overall. Short, concise reports with less embellishment.
Lost points for their words not always matching the numbers, such as when they name four trails with snowmaking but only show "2" and when they can't keep track of the snowfall over time
Also, when they write stuff like this from today's report, I don't know what they're trying to say "The Outdoor Center groomed their nordic trails from 5pm to 11pm tonight and then be off it until temperature drop back down."

@SugarloafSnow on Twitter gets a A for real time alerts. They often post that Timberline will be on hold an hour before it shows on the website.
Ski season is too short
Glade Monkey
Sugarloafer

Postby SkitheLoaf » Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:50 am

Great report yesterday. Good description of the skiing conditions, particularly appreciated the details around the grooming plan.

FEBRUARY 17, 2023 | 3:00PM
AFTERNOON UPDATE
Despite such wacky and everchanging conditions today, our Mountain Ops, Lift Ops, and Ski Patrol were all hard at work ensuring that the mountain run as smoothly as possible.

The weather was constantly changing. First, lightning. Then, freezing rain turned to mixed precipitation. Then, mixed precipitation turned to snow. Good news is it's forecasted to continue snowing through 5pm. We'll see if anything accumulates.

While it was a wet morning on the hill, the skiing was actually quite enjoyable on groomed terrain. The temperatures are dropping now and the wet snow has become firm. Ski Patrol have continued checking trail conditions and have made adjustments to the trail network as necessary.

Snowmakers will begin making some snow on Tote Road tonight. They will start on Kings Landing and Hayburner tomorrow. The grooming team will track up the snow during first shift so that it can dry out and get broken up. They'll begin tilling during second shift, working west to east. Due to the challenging grooming conditions, there may be a delayed opening on King Pine Bowl terrain tomorrow morning.

This upcoming week is February Vacation Week, and there's plenty to do. Check out the full schedule and get in on the action. In addition to First Tracks Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday this week will be First Tracks days too. Be aware that Silver, Nitro, and College Pass have Blackout Days Feb 18-20 (Saturday, Sunday, and Monday) and 25 (next Sunday). Bronze passes are blacked out on the weekends and February 20-24th. Please plan accordingly.

Get the party started for vacation week and head to Après at the Widowmaker from 3-6 tonight to enjoy live music by The Grumps. You won't be grumpy after.

I'll ski ya later,

Erica J.
Stay Cool...Ski the Loaf :-)
SkitheLoaf
Sugarloafer

Postby Glade Monkey » Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:11 am

SkitheLoaf wrote:Great report yesterday. Good description of the skiing conditions, particularly appreciated the details around the grooming plan.

FEBRUARY 17, 2023 | 3:00PM
AFTERNOON UPDATE
Despite such wacky and everchanging conditions today, our Mountain Ops, Lift Ops, and Ski Patrol were all hard at work ensuring that the mountain run as smoothly as possible.

The weather was constantly changing. First, lightning. Then, freezing rain turned to mixed precipitation. Then, mixed precipitation turned to snow. Good news is it's forecasted to continue snowing through 5pm. We'll see if anything accumulates.

While it was a wet morning on the hill, the skiing was actually quite enjoyable on groomed terrain. The temperatures are dropping now and the wet snow has become firm. Ski Patrol have continued checking trail conditions and have made adjustments to the trail network as necessary.

Snowmakers will begin making some snow on Tote Road tonight. They will start on Kings Landing and Hayburner tomorrow. The grooming team will track up the snow during first shift so that it can dry out and get broken up. They'll begin tilling during second shift, working west to east. Due to the challenging grooming conditions, there may be a delayed opening on King Pine Bowl terrain tomorrow morning.

This upcoming week is February Vacation Week, and there's plenty to do. Check out the full schedule and get in on the action. In addition to First Tracks Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday this week will be First Tracks days too. Be aware that Silver, Nitro, and College Pass have Blackout Days Feb 18-20 (Saturday, Sunday, and Monday) and 25 (next Sunday). Bronze passes are blacked out on the weekends and February 20-24th. Please plan accordingly.

Get the party started for vacation week and head to Après at the Widowmaker from 3-6 tonight to enjoy live music by The Grumps. You won't be grumpy after.

I'll ski ya later,

Erica J.

Agreed but zero trails are listed as having snowmaking, even this AM. Also the 25th blackout day is Saturday :D
Ski season is too short
Glade Monkey
Sugarloafer

Postby Glade Monkey » Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:29 am

Mountain Report 3-2-23: "Brackett opened up yesterday and it was a dream."
:?:
Ski season is too short
Glade Monkey
Sugarloafer

Postby Glade Monkey » Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:57 am

9:30am - fixed it. I wish editing after 15 min, or deleting were options.
Brackett is 100% open for the first time this season!

Glade Monkey wrote:Mountain Report 3-2-23: "Brackett opened up yesterday and it was a dream."
:?:
Ski season is too short
Glade Monkey
Sugarloafer

Postby Pow on the Mao » Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:10 am

i think its pretty obvious the snow reporter has tues / wed off and they dont cover the twitter account when she is off and the daily reports are bare minimum KP status wrong on morning of pow day. brackett status wrong. no coverage for a 7 day operation with 5 day staff. not the biggest deal, but i think i have this right
Pow on the Mao
Sugarloafer

Postby Bluewater » Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:29 pm

'Lake effect' relies on open water; frozen lakes can't produce it.
Bluewater
Sugarloafer

Postby Glade Monkey » Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:06 pm

Bluewater wrote:'Lake effect' relies on open water; frozen lakes can't produce it.

Correct. Pretty sure nearby Rangeley, Mooselookmeguntic and Saddleback lakes were all or mostly frozen over by Christmas.
Sort of a running joke after SB published a list way-back-when explaining why the Saddleback "snow is better" which included a reference to lake effect snow.
Ski season is too short
Glade Monkey
Sugarloafer

Postby High Ball » Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:25 pm

Glade Monkey wrote:
Bluewater wrote:'Lake effect' relies on open water; frozen lakes can't produce it.

Correct. Pretty sure nearby Rangeley, Mooselookmeguntic and Saddleback lakes were all or mostly frozen over by Christmas.
Sort of a running joke after SB published a list way-back-when explaining why the Saddleback "snow is better" which included a reference to lake effect snow.

I remember when SB was doing that.
Also, I think the lakes have to be REALLY big to create any lake effect. I.E the Great Lakes. There’s nothing in the Northeast that’s close.
High Ball
Sugarloafer

Next

Return to Snow Conditions, Weather, etc.