Uphill Skiers

A place to discuss current weather, snow, and trail conditions, plus lift status and upcoming storms.

Uphill Skiers

Postby Clubcar » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:11 am

I understand the draw of skinning up hill, but I'm a little concerned about people skinning up active ski trails while the mountain is open. Even though the skinners stay along the woods line they are still in the skiable trail area and can be in blind spots on the backside of rollers or inside of corners. Many skiers ski the side of the trail, particularly during the current snow conditions. I believe that it's just a matter of time before there is a life threatening collision on the hill.

I see this particularly on Tote Road, which is the most highly trafficked slope on the mountain with several blind rollers and corners.
Clubcar
Sugarloafer

Re: Uphill Skiers

Postby climbn » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:21 am

Sugarloaf has a very well designed and implemented uphill policy, put in place towards the middle of last season with the avid participation and support of the active skinning/climbing/uphill community, ski patrol, and management. It's working very well.

End of thread - please. Thanks.
climbn
Sugarloafer

Postby Centaur » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:28 am

"After 8:30am, uphill travel is limited to Windrow and terrain west of Windrow from the base of the mountain to Bullwinkle's, and the Timberline trail from Bullwinkle's to Spillway Crosscut or the Summit. Please use the roped area on the east side of the Timberline trail when traveling up the steep pitch above Bullwinkle's"

- Sugarloaf Uphill Policy
Centaur
Sugarloafer

Postby Clubcar » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:13 pm

two things:
1. Sorry for posting in the wrong board index.
2. Thank you for sending me to the uphill policy. However, the policy is flawed in that it states "Please note that no downhill traffic is permitted prior to 8:30 am". This is incorrect because every Sunday morning there is downhill traffic that starts at 7:30 am. I think the policy should be revised to reflect this fact.

Thanks and I'm done with this thread.
Clubcar
Sugarloafer

Postby rufus2step » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:16 pm

Notwithstanding the request to bury this thread, I will chime in. Pretty much everyone I see going uphill is hugging the tree line, downhill skier's left on Tote. The skinning is not restricted to the permitted uphill times. I leave that to the individuals and patrol, but I do not see it as a problem and I do not see it as creating any particular new hazard. At least those skinning are looking up the hill at what may be coming their way. That and their fitness and, from what I have seen, on snow aptitude and agility, would seem to make them a lot safer than someone following the code and stopping on the side of a trail. If you are coming down and close to the wood, you have to be vigilant and somewhat cautious. You cannot assume that you will not get closed out, even by someone also going downhill. A number of skiers have died that way. What the person downhill from you is going to do is not always predictable. Proceed accordingly. Plus, if you are going fast enough on Tote that you may not be able to avoid hitting someone, even someone under a roller or around a bend, you are going too fast on Tote. This is not the same speed for all skiers, but even those who consider themselves on top of the game should respect Tote as generally a beginner's slope. I have seen little kids, including one of my own, fall or make a slow traverse under a roller only to have someone take air off the roller blind to what was below. That is stupid. Take it to the parks.
rufus2step
Sugarloafer

Postby skiMEbike » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:27 pm

Clubcar wrote: I see this particularly on Tote Road, which is the most highly trafficked slope on the mountain with several blind rollers and corners.

Centaur wrote:"After 8:30am, uphill travel is limited to Windrow and terrain west of Windrow from the base of the mountain to Bullwinkle's , and the Timberline trail from Bullwinkle's to Spillway Crosscut or the Summit. Please use the roped area on the east side of the Timberline trail when traveling up the steep pitch above Bullwinkle's"

rufus2step wrote: Pretty much everyone I see going uphill is hugging the tree line, downhill skier's left on Tote.

So apparently not all uphill climbers are following the policy according to this ??? Not suggesting that uphill policy goes away, but maybe some reminders or "enforcement"....I kind of agree with Clubcar that uphill traffic is not advised on the resort's busiest trail.
skiMEbike
Sugarloafer

Postby ottoclave2 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:33 pm

I think that skinning on Tote while the lifts are running is stupid. Seriously, could people pick a more inappropriate trail to go up?

That being said, it would be a good idea to have some clear signage directing uphill travelers towards the preferred route. Uphilling isn't going away anytime soon, and with the way the season is progressing, the opportunity to head over to some natural snow areas is a way off.

Anyone used the uphill route to the west of Glancer recently? Just wondering what the cover is/was like (at least before the precip today)
ottoclave2
Sugarloafer

Postby rufus2step » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:52 pm

skiMEbike wrote:
Clubcar wrote: I see this particularly on Tote Road, which is the most highly trafficked slope on the mountain with several blind rollers and corners.

Centaur wrote:"After 8:30am, uphill travel is limited to Windrow and terrain west of Windrow from the base of the mountain to Bullwinkle's , and the Timberline trail from Bullwinkle's to Spillway Crosscut or the Summit. Please use the roped area on the east side of the Timberline trail when traveling up the steep pitch above Bullwinkle's"

rufus2step wrote: Pretty much everyone I see going uphill is hugging the tree line, downhill skier's left on Tote.

So apparently not all uphill climbers are following the policy according to this ???

From what I have observed, no. But it doesn't bother me or concern me as a safety hazard. People should respect and follow the rules on the hill and not pick and choose the rules they will follow. Lobby for changes if you don't like the rules or don't think they make sense. I am not advocating that anyone violate the established policy. I do see people coming down Tote unable to avoid a collision as a more serious issue. The prescribed path to Bullwinkle's and then up Timberline seems like sensible policy and a good skinning route. But I don't skin.
rufus2step
Sugarloafer

Postby waldo » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:37 pm

know the code... which I do believe includes the ability to avoid anything downhill of where you are...
waldo
Sugarloafer

Postby Alpiner » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:42 pm

ottoclave2 wrote:I think that skinning on Tote while the lifts are running is stupid. Seriously, could people pick a more inappropriate trail to go up?

Agreed. Especially considering the famous jump that every kid loves on that corner on skier's left at the top of Chicken Pitch.
Bring back King Pine T-bar, Lower Binder, Rascals, Haywire park.
Alpiner
Sugarloafer

Postby heavysquad2 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:36 pm

10 pages!
KING OF THE MOUNTAIN mountain mountain mountain.......
heavysquad2
Sugarloafer

Postby machski » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:56 pm

My only wish is that skinners on poor visibility days where bright colors to stand out better. Not at SL, but Monday at Loon several skinners coming up South Peak in the fog and freezing rain wearing all black. Really, very hard to discern in the visibility that day until you were close.
machski
Sugarloafer

Postby Rossignolsoul7 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:21 pm

If the management would follow on their statement of opening and blowing snow on Windrow early in the season, that would be perfect for skinning up. Straight shot, perfect pitch. Uphill traffic visible by any skier at any given point of the trail.

Taken from SL's lift page "The good news in all of this is that once the Bucksaw lift is removed we will be able to upgrade the snowmaking system on Windrow, allowing us to make more snow on that trail and open it earlier in the season than we ever have before." source: http://www.sugarloaf.com/liftsafety/articles/bucksaw

Also, "Crusher" repeated those exact words at the October Annual Meeting 2015. Again, all talk, no action.
Rossignolsoul7
Sugarloafer

Postby Clubcar » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:53 pm

My point of the thread was that I was surprised to see climbers on Tote Road Sunday morning. It also happened to be on the backside of a roller. Skiing early Sunday mornings allows one to ski a little faster than latter in the day due to the limited number of skiers on the hill. I was skiing the side, was in control, and was comfortably able to avoid the climber. However, I was surprised to see them and I bet they were surprised to see me too.....

In the future I will stay more in the middle of the trail at those locations. Also, just want to point out that it appears the intent of the policy is to limit uphill travel on Tote to only those times when there is no downhill traffic. That is currently not the case for Sunday mornings between 7:30 and 8:30.
Clubcar
Sugarloafer

Postby High Ball » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:58 pm

I don’t even get why anyone would think skinning at a ski resort would be fun. I always thought it was a way to access the solitude and serenity of the backcountry. Skinning up an icey, groomed trail against the flow of a few hundred downhill skiers of varying ability to a jam packed Bullwinkles is fun??? To each his own I guess. :roll:
High Ball
Sugarloafer

Postby SkiDaddy » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:20 pm

Clubcar wrote:My point of the thread was that I was surprised to see climbers on Tote Road Sunday morning. It also happened to be on the backside of a roller. Skiing early Sunday mornings allows one to ski a little faster than latter in the day due to the limited number of skiers on the hill. I was skiing the side, was in control, and was comfortably able to avoid the climber. However, I was surprised to see them and I bet they were surprised to see me too.....

In the future I will stay more in the middle of the trail at those locations. Also, just want to point out that it appears the intent of the policy is to limit uphill travel on Tote to only those times when there is no downhill traffic. That is currently not the case for Sunday mornings between 7:30 and 8:30.

Two skiers were climbing up candy side Sunday during the gold plus and were mid trail. I saw a few skiers buzz them over the few runs I did on SQ.
SkiDaddy
Sugarloafer

Postby Skimaine » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:43 pm

SkiDaddy wrote:
Clubcar wrote:My point of the thread was that I was surprised to see climbers on Tote Road Sunday morning. It also happened to be on the backside of a roller. Skiing early Sunday mornings allows one to ski a little faster than latter in the day due to the limited number of skiers on the hill. I was skiing the side, was in control, and was comfortably able to avoid the climber. However, I was surprised to see them and I bet they were surprised to see me too.....

Two skiers were climbing up candy side Sunday during the gold plus and were mid trail. I saw a few skiers buzz them over the few runs I did on SQ.

Skinning side by each.
One is one to many and one more is never enough
Skimaine
Sugarloafer

Postby climbn » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:33 am

Snow (especially snow in the woods) cures all problems here. Lacking that, please do return to your vastly more productive discussions - like grading out the slight incline from SQ to Narrow Gauge, or bitching about management calling the last wind hold 10 minutes to late for your convenience, ... ad nauseum.

And, Centaur, take a lap.
climbn
Sugarloafer

Postby Snowflake » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:30 am

Patrol should take the passes of anyone skinning up Tote, especially on weekends.

No different than ducking a rope and much more dangerous for others on the hill.
Snowflake
Sugarloafer

Postby Pow on the Mao » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:55 pm

if windrow and glancer are closed what is the route? any beta on the "designated uphill route" is it torched until further notice?
i found my soul on the ripsaw skin track
Pow on the Mao
Sugarloafer

Postby jwalter1337 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:22 pm

High Ball wrote:I don’t even get why anyone would think skinning at a ski resort would be fun. I always thought it was a way to access the solitude and serenity of the backcountry. Skinning up an icey, groomed trail against the flow of a few hundred downhill skiers of varying ability to a jam packed Bullwinkles is fun??? To each his own I guess. :roll:

Well, with the way the backcountry base is looking right now, I'd say it's better to skin up the resort than to not skin at all.
--Jamie
Former Marketing Content Manager at #theloaf
Photography:http://jamiewalter.com
|Twitter|Instagram|Facebook|
jwalter1337
Sugarloafer

Postby Glade Monkey » Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:53 pm

FROM TODAY'S MTN RPT

Great news, we have a great new uphill route:

The new uphill route begins on Bucksaw Trail accessible from the bottom of Bucksaw Express (lift) via parking lots E, F and G. We recommend parking in Lots E, F, and G to start your tour. Should you start from the base area please note there is a paved intersection crossing which may require taking off your skis.

STARTING AT BASE: Ascend Windrow following uphill markers to the Bucksaw trail.

STARTING FROM PARKING LOTS E, F, AND G: Ascend Bucksaw Trail, follow route markers making a right onto Backcut (Trail is not listed on trail map but marked with uphill signage). Ascend through Backcut intersection (Hatchet and Cutter Trails) onto Feller Buncher trail; west to Beaver Tail, Knot Bumper and then across West Mountain Trail onto Chipper.

Uphill signage will be visible and assist in way-finding.
Ski season is too short
Glade Monkey
Sugarloafer

Postby Andrew B. » Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:29 pm

I want to get my post into this monumental thread!
That is all
Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip
And come on up to the Mothership
Andrew B.
King Masshole

Postby Glade Monkey » Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:14 am

Andrew B. wrote:I want to get my post into this monumental thread!
That is all

the cool kids are talking about it in a newer one :lol:
https://www.sugarloaftoday.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9711
Ski season is too short
Glade Monkey
Sugarloafer

Return to Snow Conditions, Weather, etc.