State Of The Loaf Address

Talk about anything here, just play nice. Personal attacks will result in banning on any forum in the chat, including this one.

State Of The Loaf Address

Postby campwallamazu » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:44 pm

Any one know a time and location for the annual State Of The Loaf Address, I haven't seen it listed anywhere yet.
campwallamazu
Sugarloafer

Re: State Of The Loaf Address

Postby essslsclsact » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:08 pm

Here’s a link to Homecoming events. Looks like 10:30 am October 6.

https://www.sugarloaf.com/Documents/Sug ... hedule.pdf
Going strong as a Loafer Since The 70s

Location Portland Area
essslsclsact
Sugarloafer

Postby cccski » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:45 am

The State of the Loaf looks to be at the Sugarloaf Inn at 10:30 AM on Saturday, October 6th. Weather looks to be showers and 50 degrees.
cccski
Sugarloafer

Postby gondicar » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:40 am

cccski wrote:The State of the Loaf looks to be at the Sugarloaf Inn at 10:30 AM on Saturday, October 6th. Weather looks to be showers and 50 degrees.

Access to recreational sports is integral to a well-rounded life. Maine Adaptive Sports & Recreation is a year-round program teaching adaptive skiing and other sports activities to people with disabilities ages 4 and up: http://www.maineadaptive.org/
gondicar
Sugarloafer

Postby goldenboy80 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:41 pm

Does anyone have any predictions for what they will say at the meeting?
goldenboy80
Sugarloafer

Postby WrathOfAramark » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:02 pm

goldenboy80 wrote:Does anyone have any predictions for what they will say at the meeting?

Some paint, some snowmaking pipes, and we replaced the urinal cakes in the base lodge 3 weeks earlier than usual.
WrathOfAramark
Sugarloafer

Location: If I said I was born and raised 1 mile from the NH border, would you still think me a Masshole?

Postby SpillwayEast » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:36 am

WrathOfAramark wrote:
goldenboy80 wrote:Does anyone have any predictions for what they will say at the meeting?

Some paint, some snowmaking pipes, and we replaced the urinal cakes in the base lodge 3 weeks earlier than usual.

Sounds about right..........and he will probably say they hope to run the cat skiing for more than a few days :D
SpillwayEast
Sugarloafer

Postby Ltaylor56 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:16 pm

WrathOfAramark wrote:

Some paint, some snowmaking pipes, and we saved money by recycling the urinal cakes in the base lodge 3 weeks earlier than usual.

FTFY
Ltaylor56
Sugarloafer

Postby cveccentric » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:09 am

New West Mt liftees condo, super pipe terrain park, caribou pond update, alpine speed championships in March and who knows what else???
cveccentric
Sugarloafer

Postby Skimaine » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:59 pm

cveccentric wrote:New West Mt liftees condo, super pipe terrain park, caribou pond update, alpine speed championships in March and who knows what else???

Sounds about right. Let’s not forget new pumps at Mountain Side Grocery. :D
One is one to many and one more is never enough
Skimaine
Sugarloafer

Postby JAC487 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:47 pm

So who wants to give me the cliff notes of what happened?
JAC487
Sugarloafer

Postby essslsclsact » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:19 pm

JAC487 wrote:So who wants to give me the cliff notes of what happened?

Here’s the most interesting part!

Nada
Going strong as a Loafer Since The 70s

Location Portland Area
essslsclsact
Sugarloafer

Postby goldenboy80 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:12 pm

Damn pathetic if you ask me. No longer planning anything significant and the improvements they announced should have been done already were barely worth mentioning anyway. Changing some Budweiser signs in Widowmaker and adding air conditioning... snowmaking might be slightly better and power outages might be less frequent... Watch out Killington!
goldenboy80
Sugarloafer

Postby rocket » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:18 pm

What were the last questions Crusher answered?
rocket
Sugarloafer

Postby auburnskier » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:17 pm

goldenboy80 wrote:Damn pathetic if you ask me. No longer planning anything significant and the improvements they announced should have been done already were barely worth mentioning anyway. Changing some Budweiser signs in Widowmaker and adding air conditioning... snowmaking might be slightly better and power outages might be less frequent... Watch out Killington!

Don’t forget the new webcams.
auburnskier
Sugarloafer

Postby goldenboy80 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:05 am

auburnskier wrote:Don’t forget the new webcams.

Yeah, I actually like the webcams. I’ll give them credit for that. Also, I suppose that gaining control of the real estate makes it easier for them to undertake more extensive plans going forward. I’ll still visit no matter what as much as I can.
goldenboy80
Sugarloafer

Postby Rossignolsoul7 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:00 am

JAC487 wrote:So who wants to give me the cliff notes of what happened?

New webcams (on more will be added at the base)
caribou pond dam next summer
widowmaker revamp next summer
Haywire park moves to superpipe location and cruiser
new mid-station liftie shack on WM
new rope on skidway
new pump house
additional "useless IMO" clearning on Burnt
additional real estate coming soon (KS said this would fund major capex when it happens)
Rossignolsoul7
Sugarloafer

Postby BigRed » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:29 am

BigRed
Sugarloafer

Postby loafasaur » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:12 pm

This year was catch-up from last year. Remember how sucky the winter was 2 years ago?

Burnt/Brackett will ski better sooner with the slash, especially, removed. They have to get the cat skiing open more if they want to advertise it.

Lots of developable real estate is one competitive advantage SL does have.

They should save the West Mtn halfway shack and turn it into a haunted house. It's rickety enough.
loafasaur
loafasaur
Sugarloafer

Postby ja_loaf » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:50 pm

Karl mentioned in th meeting that Boyne is a public traded company so the information they can now share at the meetings is limited. Which sounds logical to me, but I cant seem to find a ticker symbol for Boyne? Looks like they are a private company? Am I missing something?
ja_loaf
Sugarloafer

Postby Rossignolsoul7 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:22 am

ja_loaf wrote:Karl mentioned in th meeting that Boyne is a public traded company so the information they can now share at the meetings is limited. Which sounds logical to me, but I cant seem to find a ticker symbol for Boyne? Looks like they are a private company? Am I missing something?

I almost interrupted him when he said that and then quickly thought he made a lapsus.

By the way, the digital board is back at the SQ.
Rossignolsoul7
Sugarloafer

Postby gondicar » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:05 am

Unless something has changed recently, Boyne is a family owned busIness. Stephen Kirchner spoke about this in some detail when he was the keynote speaker at the annual awards for Maine Institute for Family Owned BusIness several years ago.
Access to recreational sports is integral to a well-rounded life. Maine Adaptive Sports & Recreation is a year-round program teaching adaptive skiing and other sports activities to people with disabilities ages 4 and up: http://www.maineadaptive.org/
gondicar
Sugarloafer

Postby cccski » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:49 am

Karl was circumspect regarding last year's financials and any forward plans due to the fact that Boyne financed the purchase of Sugarloaf and several other properties by a private bond offering of 400 million dollars worth of second lien senior secured notes due 2025. Exactly what a second lien senior secured note is is way beyond me. I found this info in a Boyne press release. The bond itself returns 7.25% per year and is trading currently at 105.60 (up from it's initial price of 101.80). This offering, although private, is subject to all sorts of SEC rules it seems, thus the guarded nature of any financial discussions at the State of the Loaf meeting. Thus, Boyne is still privately held, but the bond offering imposes financial disclosure restrictions.
cccski
Sugarloafer

Postby WrathOfAramark » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:02 am

The grass on the side of the access road looked nice this weekend. :D

Lots of motorcycle riders in the area this weekend. I was one of them. The ride over to Rangeley and down Rt 17 is fantastic right now with the fall foliage and the brand new paved surface. Hop to it if you can!
WrathOfAramark
Sugarloafer

Location: If I said I was born and raised 1 mile from the NH border, would you still think me a Masshole?

Postby gondicar » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:35 pm

cccski wrote:Thus, Boyne is still privately held, but the bond offering imposes financial disclosure restrictions.

Thanks for clarifying, makes sense.
gondicar
Sugarloafer

Postby ja_loaf » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:32 pm

gondicar wrote:
cccski wrote:Thus, Boyne is still privately held, but the bond offering imposes financial disclosure restrictions.

Ditto!
ja_loaf
Sugarloafer

Postby DoubleBitter » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:21 pm

ja_loaf wrote:
gondicar wrote:

Ditto!

From me too.
DoubleBitter
Sugarloafer

Postby Sturzenberger » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:13 pm

BigRed wrote:http://wskitv.com/2018/10/06/sugarloaf-annual-meeting-2018/

Thanks for sharing,

Didn’t finish watching beyond half of the real estate presentation. Thought everyone did a great job saying what they’re allowed to say. Regarding the pond, heard the dam will not raise the water level in the off season except in preparation of winter snowmaking.

One thing I thought they hinted about was the consideration of redevelopment of the base lodge. That area & the top of the timbers was the darkest blue priority on the development map.
Sturzenberger
Sugarloafer

Postby Ski_The_East » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:53 pm

Sturzenberger wrote:
BigRed wrote:http://wskitv.com/2018/10/06/sugarloaf-annual-meeting-2018/

Thanks for sharing,

Didn’t finish watching beyond half of the real estate presentation. Thought everyone did a great job saying what they’re allowed to say. Regarding the pond, heard the dam will not raise the water level in the off season except in preparation of winter snowmaking.

One thing I thought they hinted about was the consideration of redevelopment of the base lodge. That area & the top of the timbers was the darkest blue priority on the development map.

This would be a really cool possibility, but watching again and remembering that this was made ten years ago when the timbers were not done yet, ( I think the dark blue by the Timbers are the last lots built a few years after this was made,) and when looking close, the dark blue almost completely avoids the lodge if I saw it right, and shows more potential development between the hotel and the quad, and I actually remember hearing old plans about extending the village to bucksaw area on this board. Maybe I am wrong, but just my take
Ski_The_East
Sugarloafer

Postby Sturzenberger » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:01 pm

Your eyes are probably a lot better than mine. It’s pretty blurry STE. Karl said “base lodge area we’re looking to put some condos there”. After giving the blue blob a second look you’re right, it looks more like all the parking lots A through D, but again I can’t see anything & you’re right he says this is an old map from 10 years ago.
Sturzenberger
Sugarloafer

Next

Return to General Discussion