4-Day Weekend in Norway

Write about your trips, ask veteran travelers questions & make everyone else jealous with your steezy shots and video clips.

4-Day Weekend in Norway

Postby Glade Monkey » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:27 am

A fast paced long family weekend to get the family together. Our son skipped a few days off college and met us at Logan Friday night.

Three of us flew Norwegian Air (fantastically low priced!) to Oslo and arrived Saturday AM. Our daughter who recently moved to England flew over from Endinburgh and met us at the airport. Norwegian is expanding here in New England and the roundtrips were less than $400! Just be ready that if you do the low price fare you only get a carry on which weighs less than 10kg and has size restrictions. Also, you won't get water, pretzels or anything else unless you buy it. So, bring your own. They fly 787 Dreamliners which are a great new plane. Free movies on a touchscreen at each seat (which you can also use to order food and drinks delivered to your seat)

In Oslo we dropped off our stuff at an AirBnB and then went for a walk around the city. Highlights were the Viking Ship and Kon TIki museums. The viking ships were much larger than expected and I had to use pano mode to get a whole ship in one photo. Thor Heyerdahl and his compatriots were either fearless or crazy to build a balsawood ship to go across the Pacific, and then follow up with a papyrus ship to sail the Atlantic!

On Sunday we took the train to Bergen which is on the other coast. This 7 hour trip has been described as the one of the most beautiful train rides in the world, and it didn't disappoint. There was still some snow in Oslo but it was a balmy 12'C. By the time we got up to the mountains it was a winter wonderland and -1'C. The vistas were amazing! We did not stop and ski but saw several areas still open and lots of people were getting on the train to go home after a weekend on the slopes. We went through several snow squalls and lots of tunnels which are often built to avoid avalanches covering the tracks. A lot of people get off where the train meets the Flam railway and go down to a fjord and take a boat from there. This is commonly called "Norway in a Nutshell"

Bergen is a world heritage site, and beautiful fjordside town. On Monday morning we took the funicular ride which goes to the top of a hill provides a commanding view over the city, nearby mountains and sea. Lots more to see and we will probably go back someday, but we had a Monday noon cruise down through the fjords to Stavanger.

The cruise had similar amazing views and at times the coast looks a LOT like Maine, but usually that spell is broken when you see the snowcapped mountains in the distance.

Stavanger is another coastal town which is also the base for most of the North Sea oil workers. A beautiful small harbor and the typical old buildings and cobblestone alleys. But, again we didn't stay too long....a Tuesday noon flight back to Oslo to catch the flight back to Boston. Left at 6PM and arrived at 7PM. Back to work Wednesday morning!

Norway was as scenic as expected. Everyone was friendly and most spoke perfect English. Food and BEER are pretty expensive and there is always salmon on the menu, but it is mostly farmed like here. They have a good craft beer scene and I enjoyed a lot of nice IPAs (they call them "ee-PA") The museums and public transportation were all reasonably priced. The AirBnBs we stayed in were all like Ikea showrooms and very reasonable (2 br apartment less than $150/night).

Travel on!
Ski season is too short
Glade Monkey
Sugarloafer

Re: 4-Day Weekend in Norway

Postby DoubleBitter » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:40 pm

Thanks for the report. I'll be headed to Norway in June, flying in and out of Bergen (Icelandair) and doing some hiking in the fjordlands. Will also taking part of that train ride, only about an hour from Bergen to Voss. Nice to hear about the hospitality and the prevalence of English-speaking. :)
DoubleBitter
Sugarloafer

Postby Glade Monkey » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:00 pm

DoubleBitter wrote:Thanks for the report. I'll be headed to Norway in June, flying in and out of Bergen (Icelandair) and doing some hiking in the fjordlands. Will also taking part of that train ride, only about an hour from Bergen to Voss. Nice to hear about the hospitality and the prevalence of English-speaking. :)

If you want a nice meal and basement pub in Bergen I'd recommend Naboen where we ate.
I flew home on Icelandair from Germany last year (after skiing at Garmisch) and did a weekend layover in Iceland (one of their 'perks' is letting you layover multiple days in Iceland)- another great trip!
Ski season is too short
Glade Monkey
Sugarloafer

Postby DoubleBitter » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:45 pm

Glade Monkey wrote:If you want a nice meal and basement pub in Bergen I'd recommend Naboen where we ate.
I flew home on Icelandair from Germany last year (after skiing at Garmisch) and did a weekend layover in Iceland (one of their 'perks' is letting you layover multiple days in Iceland)- another great trip!

I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.
DoubleBitter
Sugarloafer

Return to Travel