Riding in the Valley

Mountain Biking in Carrabassett Valley and Beyond

Riding in the Valley

Postby skiMEbike » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:57 pm

Anyone been out riding lately? Considering bringing the bike this weekend & trying to get a sense of what trails will be rideable....

No Fattie for me skinnies with studs, but thinking trails could be good for skinnies with some traffic to pack stuff down & considering the temps forecast for the weekend...Any feedback appreciated.

Thanks.
skiMEbike
Sugarloafer

Re: Riding in the Valley

Postby bigelow » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:53 am

Just seeing this now. Did you ride the skinny tires? Was probably possible back then.......but not now. Gotta love the ever changing trail conditions of winter riding.......
bigelow
Sugarloafer

Postby skiMEbike » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:51 pm

bigelow wrote:Just seeing this now. Did you ride the skinny tires? Was probably possible back then.......but not now. Gotta love the ever changing trail conditions of winter riding.......

Brought the bike but never rode it....I thought it would be better to ski with a forecast HIGH temperature of -18 degrees on the summit :shock:

Given I have skinnies, I am relegated to the Bigelow side of the valley....Does that side get a lot of traffic (bikes/snowshoes/etc) to pack down some of the ST along the gauge trail ?
skiMEbike
Sugarloafer

Postby bigelow » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:17 pm

skiMEbike wrote:
bigelow wrote:Just seeing this now. Did you ride the skinny tires? Was probably possible back then.......but not now. Gotta love the ever changing trail conditions of winter riding.......

Brought the bike but never rode it....I thought it would be better to ski with a forecast HIGH temperature of -18 degrees on the summit :shock:

Given I have skinnies, I am relegated to the Bigelow side of the valley....Does that side get a lot of traffic (bikes/snowshoes/etc) to pack down some of the ST along the gauge trail ?

Yes and no. Some is ok for fat tires. Really need some rain and cold before skinny tires could be an option
bigelow
Sugarloafer

Postby skiMEbike » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:50 pm

Any trails officially (or unofficially) ride-able ?
skiMEbike
Sugarloafer

Postby BigRed » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:30 am

No. Like yrs past I think Titcomb will be the closest dry singletrack to be rideable in the surrounding area. ...still lots of snow.
Mtb season kickoff party this Sat at the Rack...
BigRed
Sugarloafer

Postby skiMEbike » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:20 am

Thanks for the info...Kind of knew my answer before I even asked, but was hoping for something.

Saw this on CRNEMBA Facebook page today:

TRAILS UPDATE (April 19, 2017)
With this recent spring weather and warmth, many folks are surely thinking about the upcoming bike season. We have received several inquiries about trail openings in Carrabassett Valley and want to provide an update. While the majority of the state is free of snow cover or very close, we still have an impressive snowpack here in the mountains. Most of the network has anywhere from 6 to 24 inches of snow depth. We are several weeks away from true mud season and realistically a month or more away from singletrack riding. Please continue to check our Facebook page or website for the latest Carrabassett Valley Trail Committee (CVTC) updates. In the meantime, enjoy spring and get ready for an awesome season of riding!
skiMEbike
Sugarloafer

Return to Mountain Biking