Sunday River Lost a Gondola?

Talk about anything here, just play nice. Personal attacks will result in banning on any forum in the chat, including this one.

Sunday River Lost a Gondola?

Postby heavysquad2 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:46 pm

Just got a text message. .... no other details
KING OF THE MOUNTAIN mountain mountain mountain.......
heavysquad2
Sugarloafer

Re: Sunday River Lost a Gondola?

Postby Glade Monkey » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:00 pm

It has been on wind hold all day (like almost the entire mtn)
They posted this on one of their Instagram feeds....maybe it is trending https://www.instagram.com/p/BdiEV-SB_RH/
Ski season is too short
Glade Monkey
Sugarloafer

Postby Andrew B. » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:43 pm

seems to be some confusion but I tend to agree, they took it off to build a park feature
---8---'------'-----'----'--'---------------------------------<;>>><
Andrew B.
King Masshole

Postby Ski_The_East » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:10 pm

nothing says a waste of money like a 35k park feature :lol: :lol: :lol: should have just grabbed a big sky cabin or two
Ski_The_East
Sugarloafer

Postby Skimaine » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:04 pm

Fantastic idea. Take a few of those Big Sky Cabins and place them around the hill as “park” features. Instant on-mountain safety meeting facilities. :mrgreen:
One is one to many and one more is never enough
Skimaine
Sugarloafer

Postby dickc49 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:07 pm

dickc49
Sugarloafer

Postby cvagrad86 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:30 pm

My mom sent that to me in FB messenger. She totally bought it....So easy to spread #fakenews....
cvagrad86
Sugarloafer

Postby Glade Monkey » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:29 am

Another thread implies they were taking the cabins off during high winds and one "got away from them." :roll:
There is a side area at the top where they can store them so the lift can run without the cabins in windy conditions.
Ski season is too short
Glade Monkey
Sugarloafer

Postby gondicar » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:52 am

Glade Monkey wrote:Another thread implies they were taking the cabins off during high winds and one "got away from them." :roll:
There is a side area at the top where they can store them so the lift can run without the cabins in windy conditions.

This. They were pulling cabins off to run chairs only in the wind and this one somehow was dropped during that process. Or so I was told.
Access to recreational sports is integral to a well-rounded life. Maine Adaptive Sports & Recreation is a year-round program teaching adaptive skiing and other sports activities to people with disabilities ages 4 and up: http://www.maineadaptive.org/
gondicar
Sugarloafer

Postby Alpiner » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:21 am

gondicar wrote:
Glade Monkey wrote:Another thread implies they were taking the cabins off during high winds and one "got away from them." :roll:

This. They were pulling cabins off to run chairs only in the wind and this one somehow was dropped during that process. Or so I was told.

I was told the same thing, and sent a similar picture, by a friend who was there.

Man that would be idiotic for them to sacrifice one for a park feature.

"Instant on-mountain safety meeting facilities" is probably exactly why the Big Sky gondis have not been placed around the mountain. It would be fun to put one in the park though. Many moons ago they put an old VW Bug in the old park on Whiffletree. It was gone after one season.
-Jack
Alpiner
Sugarloafer

Postby Glade Monkey » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:34 am

Alpiner wrote:Many moons ago they put an old VW Bug in the old park on Whiffletree. It was gone after one season.

Shawnee has VW bus!
Ski season is too short
Glade Monkey
Sugarloafer

Postby Gstring » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:13 pm

Alpiner wrote: Many moons ago they put an old VW Bug in the old park on Whiffletree. It was gone after one season.

It was a Saab 96.
Gstring
Sugarloafer

Postby SkitheLoaf » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:18 pm

Gstring wrote:
Alpiner wrote: Many moons ago they put an old VW Bug in the old park on Whiffletree. It was gone after one season.

It was a Saab 96.

That's awesome. Photos anyone?
Stay Cool...Ski the Loaf :-)
SkitheLoaf
Sugarloafer

Postby heavysquad2 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:01 pm

I recall the wiffle park also had a yellow gondi car at some point...... it was snowboarders only back then.....
KING OF THE MOUNTAIN mountain mountain mountain.......
heavysquad2
Sugarloafer

Postby Sturzenberger » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:47 pm

Alpiner wrote:
gondicar wrote:

I was told the same thing, and sent a similar picture, by a friend who was there.

Man that would be idiotic for them to sacrifice one for a park feature.

"Instant on-mountain safety meeting facilities" is probably exactly why the Big Sky gondis have not been placed around the mountain. It would be fun to put one in the park though. Many moons ago they put an old VW Bug in the old park on Whiffletree. It was gone after one season.

It was allegedly Chip Carey’s VW. It may or may not have been equipped with vintage roaches above the sun visor

https://youtu.be/k_TY7s7lWPg
Sturzenberger
Sugarloafer

Postby Sturzenberger » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:09 am

Gstring wrote:

It was a Saab 96.

Thanks! Red or orange in color? I remember seeing one red station wagon & two upside down gondis with no windows. We’re talking over 20 years ago so when someone says “VW” thought maybe I remembered wrong. Could it have been a Saab 95? Chase was talking about it last year. Was there more than one car?

What I remember seeing looked like this, but sandwiched between two wedges of snow

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saab_95
Sturzenberger
Sugarloafer

Postby Glade Monkey » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:06 pm

Very detailed answer in the SR chat forum. Seems like a Dopp employee

http://community.sundayriver.com/forum/topics/gondola-cabin-falls-off?page=1&commentId=4449745%3AComment%3A217606&x=1#4449745Comment217606
The Doppelmayr Agamatic-108 grips used on the Chondola support the carrier on three points when moving through the contour in the terminal. The two inside points run on the contour track, and the third provides stability and keeps the carrier from swinging.
When carriers (in this case, CWA Omega IV LWI 8 passenger gondola cabins) are moving through the contour of the terminal (during loading and unloading), the carrier can not swing sideways because of the third point supporting the carrier (points 1 & 2 are designed to bear most of the carrier's weight). However, when the carrier is on the parking rail, only points 1 & 2 are supporting the carrier, allowing it to swing sideways. Points 1 & 2 are both small, narrow wheels that allow the grip and carrier roll through the terminal contour and on the parking rail, but while on the parking rail, there is no swing support, and although there is a small groove in the parking rail that the wheels at points 1 & 2 ride in, it isn't enough to keep the carrier from swinging. So when the cabin does swing (from wind or going around a corner too fast), it can fall right off of the parking rail.

As MachSki mentioned before, the parking rail should be housed in a small building. A corrugated sheet metal shed would be ideal because of its low / no maintenance. Not having an enclosed parking rail voids Doppelmayr's warranty on gondola cabins and bubble chairs.

Ski season is too short
Glade Monkey
Sugarloafer

Postby Ski_The_East » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:11 pm

Link to video of gondola falling:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
Ski_The_East
Sugarloafer

Postby WrathOfAramark » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:23 pm

Ski_The_East wrote:Link to video of gondola falling:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

That earns a hearty golf clap my friend. How's your leg? Back on skis soon?
WrathOfAramark
Sugarloafer

Location: If I said I was born and raised 1 mile from the NH border, would you still think me a Masshole?

Postby Ski_The_East » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:29 pm

I can walk now, starting rehab soon, if I’m lucky I may get March and April. Good thing I’m not missing much right now!
Ski_The_East
Sugarloafer

Return to General Discussion