Bag Open For Summer

Talk about anything here, just play nice. Personal attacks will result in banning on any forum in the chat, including this one.

Bag Open For Summer

Postby k2trav » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:35 pm

The Bag just posted on facebook that they will be open this summer
k2trav
Sugarloafer For Life

Re: Bag Open For Summer

Postby D. B. Cooper » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:25 pm

EXCELLENT ! Is this because Geppetto's will not be opening ? Maybe they will have an outside patio out the back door.
The Dude formally know as Mtdude
D. B. Cooper
Sugarloafer

Postby Skimaine » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:08 am

D. B. Cooper wrote:EXCELLENT ! Is this because Geppetto's will not be opening ? Maybe they will have an outside patio out the back door.

Good news! And I like D.B.'s idea. Outside seating would be great. I love the Bag, but it is a bit of a cave.
One is one to many and one more is never enough
Skimaine
Sugarloafer

Postby pinchaloafa » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:05 pm

This would be even better if they could just brew better beer. Theirs really are not that great when you try some of the other brews made here in Maine.
I love their food but the beer needs real help!
pinchaloafa
Sugarloafer

Postby Glade Monkey » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:17 pm

pinchaloafa wrote:This would be even better if they could just brew better beer. Theirs really are not that great when you try some of the other brews made here in Maine.

That's because their beers are brewed by Shi*yard using Pugsley's Ringwood yeast...YUCK!
https://www.ratebeer.com/brewers/brewing-company-24716.htm
Ski season is too short
Glade Monkey
Sugarloafer

Postby Rossignolsoul7 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:58 am

D. B. Cooper wrote:EXCELLENT ! Is this because Geppetto's will not be opening ? Maybe they will have an outside patio out the back door.

You can get oustide beers at D'Ellies now. They have a patio area now.
Rossignolsoul7
Sugarloafer

Postby Lawshark » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:24 am

Glade Monkey wrote:
pinchaloafa wrote:This would be even better if they could just brew better beer. Theirs really are not that great when you try some of the other brews made here in Maine.

That's because their beers are brewed by Shi*yard using Pugsley's Ringwood yeast...YUCK!
https://www.ratebeer.com/brewers/brewing-company-24716.htm

I'll "third" this sentiment...unfortunately for me I just flat out do not like the Shipyard brewing method...their beer, Bag beer, Gritty's...just blech.

We love eating at the Inn...but I hate the lack of beer selection. I can understand why they keep their taps exclusive...they wouldn't sell much of their beer if they opened things up...
Lawshark
Sugarloafer

Postby D. B. Cooper » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:51 pm

Skimaine wrote:

Good news! And I like D.B.'s idea. Outside seating would be great. I love the Bag, but it is a bit of a cave.

Good Plan ! walked by last night before the concert...looked like business was brisk.

*TONIGHT*JULY 30th
LIVE MUSIC on the new Patio
Tom Hoatson and The Traveling Newburys
Come enjoy some live music at The Bag on 7/30 from 5-7pm. Zack Hoatson and Evan Hoatson will be joining in!
D. B. Cooper
Sugarloafer

Postby Alpiner » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:02 pm

It's English style beer. That style just happens to not be hip right now. If you want to be bashed over the head with hops there are plenty of other options. For English style beer, The Bag is doing just fine.
-Jack

let the ground come to you.
Alpiner
Sugarloafer

Postby goldenboy80 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:15 pm

The best beer that I've ever tried is from Maine Beer Company. Super $$ and you rarely see it, but it is incredible.
Does The Bag sell that brand? Anybody else know of any Maine beers that are as good?
goldenboy80
Sugarloafer

Postby WrathOfAramark » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:52 pm

Plenty of brewers down closer to the coast killing it right now.

Maine Beer Company
Bissell Bros
Austin Street
Allagash
Rising Tide
Baxter Brewing
Geary's
WrathOfAramark
Sugarloafer

Location: If I said I was born and raised 1 mile from the NH border, would you still think me a Masshole?

Postby goldenboy80 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:00 pm

Ah, nice list. I'm going to be in Portland this weekend so I'm going to try to get those I haven't tried at Craft Beer Cellar.
goldenboy80
Sugarloafer

Postby WrathOfAramark » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:08 pm

Thirsty Pig and the Mash Tun have pretty good beer selections on tap.
WrathOfAramark
Sugarloafer

Location: If I said I was born and raised 1 mile from the NH border, would you still think me a Masshole?

Postby Rossignolsoul7 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:20 pm

WrathOfAramark wrote:Plenty of brewers down closer to the coast killing it right now.

Maine Beer Company
Bissell Bros
Austin Street
Allagash
Rising Tide
Baxter Brewing
Geary's

IMO, MBC, Bissell Bros, Foundation are superior to the other ones you mentioned. Still quite behind the Alchemist (as far as IPA's are concerned).

Also, check this one out: Frost Beer Works from Hinesburg VT. The greatest threat to Alchemist's dominance...
Rossignolsoul7
Sugarloafer

Postby Gstring » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:15 pm

Also
Gstring
Sugarloafer

Postby Gstring » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:28 pm

Rossignolsoul7 wrote:
WrathOfAramark wrote:
IMO, MBC, Bissell Bros, Foundation are superior to the other ones you mentioned. Still quite behind the Alchemist (as far as IPA's are concerned).

Also, check this one out: Frost Beer Works from Hinesburg VT. The greatest threat to Alchemist's dominance...

My oldest son lived in Burlington, now Jericho. About 5 years ago, he brought me a 4-pack of Heady Topper. This was the beer I'd been looking for all my life. The closest thing to it, in my opinion, is Baxter Fireworks, which is limited release, and very different from the other Baxter beers. Heady Topper has never disappointed (their Focal Banger is right up there). And I have to admire the Alchemist's refusal to go mass market. Don't get me going on Hill Farmstead... .
Gstring
Sugarloafer

Postby gondicar » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:47 pm

Rossignolsoul7 wrote:
WrathOfAramark wrote:Plenty of brewers down closer to the coast killing it right now.

Maine Beer Company
Bissell Bros
Austin Street
Allagash
Rising Tide
Baxter Brewing
Geary's

+1

Enjoying a Substance (Bissell Bros) right now, although Foundation has been my go to lately.
Access to recreational sports is integral to a well-rounded life. Maine Adaptive Sports & Recreation is a year-round program teaching adaptive skiing and other sports activities to people with disabilities ages 4 and up: http://www.maineadaptive.org/
gondicar
Sugarloafer

Postby jimskime » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:13 pm

Danny McGovern has consistently brewed some of the best beers in the State. I just finished a growler of 96.
http://mainetoday.com/eat-drink/craft-b ... B.facebook
jimskime
Sugarloafer

Postby moodymtn » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:02 am

Here's some more info to Danny's new brewery, Lake St. George Brewery. Went to the soft opening, great space, great beer, located on the corner of Rt. 3 and Marshall Shore Road in Liberty. https://waldo.villagesoup.com/p/master-brewer-taps-family-for-new-beer-venture/1672243
moodymtn
Sugarloafer

Postby bigelow » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:57 am

Alchemist - say no more
bigelow
Sugarloafer

Postby Alpiner » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:30 pm

Did a recent VT tour in conjunction with a friend's wedding and hit Hill Farmstead, Alchemist, and Foam. They're great of course, but IMO, there is no need to make pilgrimages to VT anymore if you can get Foundation Epiphany, Bissell Brothers Swish, Austin Street Florens. MBC beers are nice but not worth the extra price. I'm not sure why they are charging $5 and $6+ for a pint when equivalent or better beers are $4 or less. Rising Tide Cutter is underrated. BB Substance is overrated. One of my favorite Maine beers to look for is Marshal Wharf Cant Dog, but it is rare and isn't the same style as the others so it's not comparable.
-Jack

Alpiner
Sugarloafer

Postby Gstring » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:07 pm

Alpiner wrote:Did a recent VT tour in conjunction with a friend's wedding and hit Hill Farmstead, Alchemist, and Foam. .

Did you go to the Hill Farmstead Brewery? My sons took me a few years ago. It was like making a pilgrimage. The place is in the middle of nowhere. But beautiful - it's the Hill Farm. We filled at least a dozen growlers, and as many bottles as they would let us take. They have an extremely wide variety of Belgian-style beers. Whatever the provenance, the beer is damn good.
Gstring
Sugarloafer

Postby Alpiner » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:40 pm

Gstring wrote:
Alpiner wrote:Did a recent VT tour in conjunction with a friend's wedding and hit Hill Farmstead, Alchemist, and Foam. .

Did you go to the Hill Farmstead Brewery? My sons took me a few years ago. It was like making a pilgrimage. The place is in the middle of nowhere. But beautiful - it's the Hill Farm. We filled at least a dozen growlers, and as many bottles as they would let us take. They have an extremely wide variety of Belgian-style beers. Whatever the provenance, the beer is damn good.

Yes sir. I agree, it's damn good. Among other things I bought a 750ml bottle of "Sue" - wine barrel aged IPA, for $30. Normally I would never spend that much on a beer but I figured I'd probably never be back again, so what the hell. If you like barrel aged beer, it was exquisite. Also got a growler and a couple other bottles which were all wonderful. But really, with all the goodness going on in Maine, I'd never drive there again unless I was on the way to Burlington or Stowe for something else anyway.
-Jack

Alpiner
Sugarloafer

Postby Skimaine » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:48 pm

Don't forget my boys in the Bangor area. Geahgans and Orono Brewer Company (OBC) are making some very good beers. Cheers.
One is one to many and one more is never enough
Skimaine
Sugarloafer

Postby D. B. Cooper » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:49 am

G String from Funky Bow showed up at Fotters in Stratton, $10 a six pack, but worth enjoying a cold can in the hot mountain sun.
D. B. Cooper
Sugarloafer

Postby Rossignolsoul7 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:35 pm

Foundation Afterglow is currently on tap at the Rack folks... just saying...
Rossignolsoul7
Sugarloafer

Postby ottoclave2 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:43 pm

Rossignolsoul7 wrote:Foundation Afterglow is currently on tap at the Rack folks... just saying...

It's about time they started rotating taps there. I'm constantly underwhelmed with the draft selection at the Rack.
ottoclave2
Sugarloafer

Return to General Discussion