Saddleback Mountain Co-op Information Thread

Talk about anything here, just play nice. Personal attacks will result in banning on any forum in the chat, including this one.

Re: Saddleback Mountain Co-op Information Thread

Postby Rossignolsoul7 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:21 pm

Glade Monkey wrote:
Shot-Ski wrote:
Rossignolsoul7 wrote: I'm not an expert on Rangeley or Flagstaff Lakes but they seem more or less similar

The biggest difference is that Rangeley Lake and the area (like Kennebago) are considered a world class trout and salmon fishing destination.
While Flagstaff is man made with the biggest interest being a town at the bottom and a few high release days below the dam for whitewater rafting.

Problem with your quote. I didn't wrote that about the lakes. Snot-Ski did :wink:
Rossignolsoul7
Sugarloafer

Postby WrathOfAramark » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:35 pm

Shouldn't they have waited until Thursday to make this announcement?
WrathOfAramark
Sugarloafer

Location: If I said I was born and raised 1 mile from the NH border, would you still think me a Masshole?

Postby Pow on the Mao » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:23 pm

Rossignolsoul7 wrote:This is very significant. SB is the ONLY resort with an amazing 4-season potential in VT-NH-ME and some people here still think that this isn't a threat for SL or SR? It is a serious threat, if this is well-managed, it could potentially become the next Tremblant. Same set up... kick-ass mountain (definitely better than SR at least), beautiful lakes, charming town, it literally has everything. Where else can you find this in VT,NH, ME? Answer is none. If this place gets a 5-star hotel and a real golf course, it will blow SR and SL out of the water, like it or not. Even a SL 2.0 with new lifts all over the place wouldn't be able to compete with SB because SB would be making money all summer while cricket sounds are occupying airwaves at SL and SR.

ever been to stowe in the summer?
Pow on the Mao
Sugarloafer

Postby farmboy » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:46 pm

WrathOfAramark wrote:Shouldn't they have waited until Thursday to make this announcement?
I fought for Thursday but I lost. :D :lol:
Sugarloaf, Saddleback and Sunday River..... The Western Maine Alps
farmboy
Sugarloafer

Postby Rossignolsoul7 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:14 pm

Pow on the Mao wrote:
Rossignolsoul7 wrote:This is very significant. SB is the ONLY resort with an amazing 4-season potential in VT-NH-ME and some people here still think that this isn't a threat for SL or SR? It is a serious threat, if this is well-managed, it could potentially become the next Tremblant. Same set up... kick-ass mountain (definitely better than SR at least), beautiful lakes, charming town, it literally has everything. Where else can you find this in VT,NH, ME? Answer is none. If this place gets a 5-star hotel and a real golf course, it will blow SR and SL out of the water, like it or not. Even a SL 2.0 with new lifts all over the place wouldn't be able to compete with SB because SB would be making money all summer while cricket sounds are occupying airwaves at SL and SR.

I love Stowe. I go there more often in summer than winter, actually, it breaks my routine of always coming up to ME. I am big fan of Top Notch Resort, half a mile down the Matterhorn. The Waterbury-Stowe area has definitely a lot to offer but it doesn't have a big lake for sailing or boating. To me, a 4-season resort has to have that and a marina. In that regard, to me, Rangeley has a more 4-season potential. In other words, you can have a lake house that serves as a ski house as well. If I could anchor a Mastercraft on Flagstaff, my summer problems would be solved.
Rossignolsoul7
Sugarloafer

Postby wigman » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:50 pm

Rossignolsoul7 wrote:
Pow on the Mao wrote:

I love Stowe. I go there more often in summer than winter, actually, it breaks my routine of always coming up to ME. I am big fan of Top Notch Resort, half a mile down the Matterhorn. The Waterbury-Stowe area has definitely a lot to offer but it doesn't have a big lake for sailing or boating. To me, a 4-season resort has to have that and a marina. In that regard, to me, Rangeley has a more 4-season potential. In other words, you can have a lake house that serves as a ski house as well. If I could anchor a Mastercraft on Flagstaff, my summer problems would be solved.

The boating is way better on flagstaff then rangely lake. Very few camps, plenty of sandy areas to pull up on, way better view, no traffic. Any modern navigation system ($500) will keep you out of trouble. Most of the lake is very boatable. Just don't tell anyone. Your mastercraft would be very happy.
Death by mountain
wigman
King of Reggae

Postby Pow on the Mao » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:48 pm

I will update the dictionary to include 'lake' in the definition of four season resort.
Pow on the Mao
Sugarloafer

Postby Shot-Ski » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:16 am

Rossignolsoul7 wrote:
Problem with your quote. I didn't wrote that about the lakes. Snot-Ski did :wink:

That was good, I enjoyed that. Only 147 days till we can argue about trail conditions and opening day.
There are no brakes on the hype train
Shot-Ski
Sugarloafer

Postby tipsdown » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:34 am

Shot-Ski wrote:

While I don't believe that there are truly any ski resorts in the northeast with four season potential I definitely don't agree that saddleback is the only or top choice (not to take anything away from them on this great day but I love to fact check Nosoul7). To start, saddleback is even further than sugarloaf from Boston according to google. The fraction of people who are interested in driving four hours from Boston to go to Rangeley lake when NH is full of them is very small. I have a place between Sugarloaf and Eustis and I can count on one finger the amount of times I've been to Flagstaff Lake. Even though Sugarloaf in the summer is great, there just aren't enough weekends in the summer to make the trip worthwhile.

Maybe I am wrong but the drive from Saddleback to Rangeley Lake really isn't any closer than Sugarloaf to Flagstaff( a half hour?). I'm not an expert on Rangeley or Flagstaff Lakes but they seem more or less similar and sugarloaf already has a kick ass mountain and golf course. Also, not to advocate for Mt snow (https://www.mountsnow.com/the-mountain/summer-activities/ ), but they seem to have the most potential for a four season resort seeing they are four hours from NYC and those city folk don't have many options outside of the adirondacks or poconos for summer attractions, but they like everyone else in the world are at the beach all summer. Mentioning Tremblant and Saddleback in the same sentence is laughable at best.

This is a mis-nomer...Saddleback and Sugarloaf's distance from Boston are within a handful of minutes of each other. It's negligible. Sugarloaf is closer to Bangor and points East...Not sure how relevant that is from a ski visit perspective however. Not trying to nitpick if you enjoy fact checking than it should be known that the south shore of Rangeley Lake is 10-12 minutes from the base of the mountain. Flagstaff is substantially further from Sugarloaf.... I love SL but it's never been considered a 4 season destination and has therefore never been marketed as such. Saddleback/Rangeley is truly a year round destination....That one seems tough to argue.

I've heard that the Aussie's model won't include (and rightfully so) stripping ski visit market share from SL...Models are based on marginally higher ski visit totals from their last few years of operation...They want to make a real go of year round revenue and offer services and amenities accordingly....Having said that, it sounds like they have very big plans for the place....Interesting times for sure!
tipsdown
Sugarloafer

Postby cat in january » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:17 pm

Anyone reading this feeling like they missed out on an opportunity to get in on creating a four season resort? Squaw Mountain in Greenville should finally clear its paperwork mess soon and should be for sale or more likely auction. Mountain View Pond frontage included in property. Moosehead imho is much more spectacular than Rangely.

Would be nice to see a $400 season ticket from Saddleback this year.

Wonder if they would dare to run with just the new surface lift installed, leaving the fixed grip till next year. Cheaper and could be put in quicker.
cat in january
Sugarloafer

Postby bigelow » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:04 pm

One of the best thing about Sugarloaf and CV is summer recreation options and lack of crowds. The biggest negative is shortness of the season. Those who don't know............don't know.
bigelow
Sugarloafer

Postby Sturzenberger » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:30 pm

Exciting news! I did mark saddleback on the Stowe map, just barely on there, hope it helps.

Gut says replace Rangely chair now or it won't happen. Lift has been on saddleback since before sugarloaf had chairlifts

https://youtu.be/BQ4yd2W50No
(This was my father's favorite quote)
Sturzenberger
Sugarloafer

Postby Rossignolsoul7 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:02 pm

cat in january wrote: Wonder if they would dare to run with just the new surface lift installed, leaving the fixed grip till next year. Cheaper and could be put in quicker.

I'm definitely not a lift installation expert but sounds (from the comments here) that Doppelmayr has been roaming around SB for quite some time. If that's true, there's plenty of time to install both lifts before 2018. It won't take time before we know it. If the Rangeley chair towers are going down in the next few days, it will be a very good sign.

The management was very careful about the opening date and that is very good. In any cases, lifts will spin again "soon" and that's what's important. If I was a condo owner at SB, I would be partying like it's 1999 right now.
Rossignolsoul7
Sugarloafer

Postby wigman » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:35 pm

Rossignolsoul7 wrote:
cat in january wrote: Wonder if they would dare to run with just the new surface lift installed, leaving the fixed grip till next year. Cheaper and could be put in quicker.

I'm definitely not a lift installation expert but sounds (from the comments here) that Doppelmayr has been roaming around SB for quite some time. If that's true, there's plenty of time to install both lifts before 2018. It won't take time before we know it. If the Rangeley chair towers are going down in the next few days, it will be a very good sign.

The management was very careful about the opening date and that is very good. In any cases, lifts will spin again "soon" and that's what's important. If I was a condo owner at SB, I would be partying like it's 1999 right now.

There is already survey flagging etc up for the new chair.
Death by mountain
wigman
King of Reggae

Postby loafman140 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:24 pm

Potential for 2 or 3 lifts being installed in western maine this summer (Spruce at sunday river)..... haven't had a summer this active in a long time hopefully!
loafman140
Sugarloafer

Postby tipsdown » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:18 am

I started a new thread under the Saddleback Discussion board...Seems more appropriate at this point...
tipsdown
Sugarloafer

Postby DoubleBitter » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:56 am

tipsdown wrote:I started a new thread under the Saddleback Discussion board...Seems more appropriate at this point...

Thanks. The right thing to do.
DoubleBitter
Sugarloafer

Postby skidor » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:02 pm

Not a whole lot of talk on here in the last 10 days. Where's all those who were sure Saddleback was done?
skidor
Sugarloafer

Postby redrider » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:16 pm

Reverse psychology, it worked too!
redrider
Sugarloafer

Postby Ezra » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:35 pm

Is it time for a new Thread? 400 + post and it take for ever for the current one to load? What do you think?
Ezra
Sugarloafer

Postby Glade Monkey » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:13 pm

skidor wrote:Not a whole lot of talk on here in the last 10 days. Where's all those who were sure Saddleback was done?

Try and keep up with the thread...
Postby tipsdown » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:18 am

I started a new thread under the Saddleback Discussion board...Seems more appropriate at this point...
Ski season is too short
Glade Monkey
Sugarloafer

Postby Glade Monkey » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:14 pm

Ezra wrote:Is it time for a new Thread? 400 + post and it take for ever for the current one to load? What do you think?

Already done, just read the most recent posts

Postby tipsdown » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:18 am

Ski season is too short
Glade Monkey
Sugarloafer

Previous

Return to General Discussion