Millennial Pass?

Talk about anything here, just play nice. Personal attacks will result in banning on any forum in the chat, including this one.

Millennial Pass?

Postby Chromer » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:53 pm

Millennial Pass?

So, that's like a cut-rate Silver Pass, for people 19-29? $340 discount. While the "regular" passes went up for everyone else. That's just not cool.

Yeah, I understand price discrimination based on age is a legal thing. Doesn't make it right. It feels like a raised middle finger to this long-time pass buyer.
Chromer
Sugarloafer

Re: Millennial Pass?

Postby SKIER iZ PrO » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:34 pm

Without this pass option. I probably wasn't going to be able to afford a full price pass next season. Now I can and I'm sure I'm not the only out of college skier who was going to face this same problem. This probably is one of the best things Boyne has done in the past couple seasons.

Also, you may think it's a cut-rate Silver Pass, but it can only be used at one resort, not all 3 like on the New England Pass
SKIER iZ PrO
Sugarloafer

Postby jwalter1337 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:49 pm

SKIER iZ PrO wrote:Also, you may think it's a cut-rate Silver Pass, but it can only be used at one resort, not all 3 like on the New England Pass

^This

Also, the ski biz is losing big numbers in that age demographic, which in 10 years turns into fewer ski families. If you bring in & keep skiers in their 20's, you increase the odds of turning them into life long loafers. This is not a bad thing for both Sugarloaf or the ski industry in general (which is why plenty of other mountains offer a similar product).
--Jamie
Former Marketing Content Manager at #theloaf
Photography:http://jamiewalter.com
|Twitter|Instagram|Facebook|
jwalter1337
Sugarloafer

Postby loafman140 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:54 pm

This pass is the only reason I'll be able to ski the loaf next season. I have student loans up the wazoo. Big mountain skiing would be a pipe dream if it wasn't for the college pass that I've been on of four years, and now this pass. Thank you sugarloaf!
loafman140
Sugarloafer

Postby Chromer » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:30 pm

Personally, SR and Loon access is worth about $0 to me. (And that's close to the marginal cost, right? A hypothetical skier day on a pass at SR or Loon "costs" Boyne the same as a day at the Loaf.) I'd be fine with some kind of Sugarloaf-only pass.

Jamie, I totally understand that acquiring new customers has a cost, and how over the long term it's necessary due to demographic shifts the industry is seeing - but when it's at such a discount compared to what's offered to "existing" customers, that's going to rub some existing customers the wrong way. I'm not saying that the Millennial Pass shouldn't be offered, or even offered at $399. Just that giving one group a deal while raising prices for another group is going to cause some hard feelings in the latter group.

Sorry, just feeling like a "mark" rather than a valued customer after a decade of buying passes.

Best of luck packing the kids in. How many do you figure will keep buying a pass after age 30 when their price doubles?
Chromer
Sugarloafer

Postby woodstockloafa » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:35 pm

Many college grads have big loans to pay off, entry level salaries, yet still have free time for recreation. A cheap pass may keep them skiing for now, and they may not buy a pass when the price doubles, but they may plan a couple family trips to SL.
woodstockloafa
Sugarloafer

Postby Shot-Ski » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:09 am

Agree with what everyone here has said besides Chromer, and I will add that this is the same group of people who in past years jumped from the college pass at an affordable rate to the graduate pass which they then got rid of. I would imagine the retention of college passes to silver and gold passes is a very small fraction, this pass should keep that group and their money at sugarloaf a couple more years.

I've also mentioned to a couple friends if you are planning on coming up more than two weekends or four ski days you might as well go for the millennial pass, I imagine many others are considering doing the same.
There are no brakes on the hype train
Shot-Ski
Sugarloafer

Postby Ltaylor56 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:53 am

Chromer wrote:Millennial Pass?

So, that's like a cut-rate Silver Pass, for people 19-29? $340 discount. While the "regular" passes went up for everyone else. That's just not cool.

Yeah, I understand price discrimination based on age is a legal thing. Doesn't make it right. It feels like a raised middle finger to this long-time pass buyer.

Equally long-time pass buyer here with a contrary view. If anything I see it as a plus for long-time pass buyers with kids just out of college - the jump from college pass to adult pass is simply too great to justify for some of us and this millennial pass helps a lot. In fact I'd be willing to pay $150 more for the "gold" version with no black-out days so they could spend Xmas week here.

I have no data to back it up but suspect that the millennial pass is a financial no-brainer for the mountain. I bet this age-group spends disproportionately more après ski in bars and restaurants than the old fogies paying full-freight for our season passes, and that this extra income goes a long way in offsetting the season pass price differential.
Ltaylor56
Sugarloafer

Postby Alpiner » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:24 pm

jwalter1337 wrote:Also, the ski biz is losing big numbers in that age demographic, which in 10 years turns into fewer ski families. If you bring in & keep skiers in their 20's, you increase the odds of turning them into life long loafers. This is not a bad thing for both Sugarloaf or the ski industry in general (which is why plenty of other mountains offer a similar product).

^This.

woodstockloafa wrote:Many college grads have big loans to pay off, entry level salaries, yet still have free time for recreation. A cheap pass may keep them skiing for now, and they may not buy a pass when the price doubles.

^And this.

It is very easy to drop out of the skiing lifestyle after college when it suddenly becomes prohibitively expensive. Both my siblings did. They haven't had passes going on 17 years now. Right after college you're making lousy money, paying rent, feeding yourself, funding your social life, maybe paying off student loans, maybe saving for a house down payment, and are hopefully off your parents' bankroll. A grand plus for a pass? Suddenly skiing may not be so appealing. Very easy if not imperative to cut that expense.

When you have a season pass, you don't think as much about the expenses of skiing and everything surrounding it. Instead you think of how the more you go, the cheaper it gets (the ticket anyway). Generally. When you're opening your wallet every time you go, it has the opposite psych effect.

If they don't offer this discounted pass to retain/attract this population, YOUR season pass is going to get more expensive, faster. Sugarloaf has this one right.
-Jack

let the ground come to you.
Alpiner
Sugarloafer

Postby loafman140 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:41 pm

There are few dozen kids on college passes at my college, and I can say full throttle not 1 would purchase a full place pass. Not at the loaf, not anywhere. Being 22 there is absolutely no room for an expensive pass, especially if you don't know anyone who has a place at the loaf. Day trips get old when you don't have 2 cents for gas money
loafman140
Sugarloafer

Postby smax » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:03 pm

Considering how a lot of folks are at their poorest in their 20s I think the pass makes a ton of sense. Aging boomers are going to stop skiing in the next few years and having some younger loyal customers is going to be real important. Pass prices go up all the time and I've never understood how some group getting a discount is a negative for anyone. Rarely do people complain about teens, juniors and seniors getting pricing discounts.

The idea of your pass price lowering for each consecutive year you have one has always been a great idea in my mind. Even 1% off every year you have a pass would make a huge difference and help a lot with loyalty.
smax
Sugarloafer

Postby Pow on the Mao » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:12 pm

i think the reasoning is far more simple. its the classic drug dealer business model. first ones free, hook em while their young, make a lifetime customer out of them. the college pass is the same premise, and it worked on me. 10.. eh hem.. i mean 4 years of the college pass got me hooked on pow, and now i'll never recover. i'm a season-passer for life. it appears they are doubling down on this model. i like it. and yes, untracked pow is the most addictive drug on the planet.
Pow on the Mao
Sugarloafer

Postby Sturzenberger » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:14 pm

jwalter1337 wrote:
SKIER iZ PrO wrote:Also, you may think it's a cut-rate Silver Pass, but it can only be used at one resort, not all 3 like on the New England Pass

^This

Also, the ski biz is losing big numbers in that age demographic, which in 10 years turns into fewer ski families. If you bring in & keep skiers in their 20's, you increase the odds of turning them into life long loafers. This is not a bad thing for both Sugarloaf or the ski industry in general (which is why plenty of other mountains offer a similar product).

I like the idea. Seems marketing was addressing a question asked at the last annual meeting. I'm a millennial (echo boomer), born between 1977 & 1994 but am not eligible for the Millennial pass lol. This is really a post millennial, generation Z pass, but the term Millennial is more commonly known as next generation.

Bought my pass today. $50 down, 4 payments over the off season, do it before the price goes up next month
Sturzenberger
Sugarloafer

Postby streetracer » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:44 pm

[quote="Sturzenberger"
Bought my pass today. $50 down, 4 payments over the off season, do it before the price goes up next month[/quote]

Thank you, it is that time again...my wife and I have purchased these passes every year, since they have been offered; and it would have broken our hearts, if we had inadvertently missed them for next year...thanks again, Sturzenberger, for the reminder.
streetracer
Sugarloafer

Return to General Discussion