telemark binding suggestions

Some of it is good, some of it is bad. Tells us about your gear so the knowledge won't be lost if you ski into a tree.

telemark binding suggestions

Postby Ski_The_East » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:34 pm

help

im trying to pick between the g3 targa t/9 and the black diamond o1. which is better? Also, are there any better options? Thanks for the help

TJ
Ski_The_East
Sugarloafer

Re: telemark binding suggestions

Postby Elgorr » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:30 am

Hammer heads are great and can be found pretty affordably.
Drop knees, not bombs
Elgorr
Sugarloafer

Postby rocket » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:20 am

I have found the BD canisters to slip over time, the 22 Designs sold at the ski shop have worked great!
rocket
Sugarloafer

Postby Elgorr » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:49 am

It also depends on your boots/purpose for this setup. I imagine you'll have 3+ buckle plastic boots and will be skiing sugarloaf ice, in which case you will probably want a burlier binding than the targa. You want your setup to be matched, stiff skis, modern plastic boots, and charging hard => active binding like 22 designs hammerheads. Even a binding like the rottefella cobra with its solid metal wires instead of cables offers more edge pressure and stability than the targa. One of the reasons I recommend the hammerhead and the cobra is that they can be found pretty cheaply used if you're just starting out or want to try tele. If you have deep pockets obviously go for the Cadillac: bishop bombers for resort or 22 designs axls for touring. I just got a touring setup with bd 01's on it for this season. I haven't skied them yet, but I imagine they will be plenty active, as long as I can mitigate the infamous cartridge loosening. I would rather have gotten Axl's but the black diamond setup was a screamin deal.
Drop knees, not bombs
Elgorr
Sugarloafer

Postby Ski_The_East » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:48 am

thank you for everything! Anyone have any thoughts or experience with the Black Diamonds? think that the o1s look really nice and ive seen some people using them
Ski_The_East
Sugarloafer

Postby Elgorr » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:26 pm

Ski_The_East wrote:thank you for everything! Anyone have any thoughts or experience with the Black Diamonds? think that the o1s look really nice and ive seen some people using them

Like I mentioned, I got a pair of black diamond 01s for this winter, but only because it was such a good deal and they were already mounted on the skis I wanted. From what I have read the BD 01s have an issue where the cartridges loosens as you ski. Some loosen quicker than others, but you'll probably be tightening your cartridges on hill at some point. I skied with someone who had BD 02s (same thing minus the touring feature) and she had to tighten hers every other run. The second issue is that unless you have the newer 6-hole mount versions, they are prone to tear right out of your skis. (probably because you tightened your cartridges too tight on the fly and then you bottomed them out). I've pulled a binding out before and it is no fun, does a number on your skis. Unless you have a pair lined up for cheap then I would look for something else. There are a pair of voile switchback x2 on ebay for pretty cheap right now.
Drop knees, not bombs
Elgorr
Sugarloafer

Postby SkitheLoaf » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:19 am

I've got an extra pair of the Hammerheads (blue) that I'd sell. Photo of similar below. PM me if interested.

Stay Cool...Ski the Loaf :-)
SkitheLoaf
Sugarloafer

Postby climbn » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:34 pm

In my opinion. 22 Designs AXL bindings are the single best conventional (non NTN) tele binding out there. They ski like the Hammerhead but climb like a dream, free pivot. Over the last few years I have several hundred climbs on AXLs here at the Loaf with no issues and I absolutely love how they ski. Super easy to work on and recondition.

Over the last 25 years I've skied Hammerheads (love them but they aren't available anymore, AXLs obsoleted them), Black Diamond 01 and 02 (had issues with the cartridges loosening with both - it's no fun to ski out of a tele binding), G3 Targa (durable, easily worked on, but not very active or great skiing overall - I have a ton of climbing days on Targa's and I grimace when I reflect back on how much work it was fighting that binding, I threw them all out when I discovered the AXL), and the G3 Ascent (icing problems, sucky overall, not a great design, tried for a few climbs then took them off and left at the dump store).

I have a brand new pair of Hammerheads (legendary) still in the box that I'd sell for $250.

I've been thinning out the quiver this winter and have 5 pairs of AXLs for sale ($125 a pair in very good condition - $340/pair new).

I also have a new pair of VICE bindings for sale ($120).
climbn
Sugarloafer

Return to Gear Reviews