Saddleback SOLD to Majella

Re: Saddleback SOLD to Majella

Postby farmboy » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:44 am

cat in january wrote:Must have closed if they have a crew taking the lift down.

Any bush hogging started?

They have an operating agreement that allows lift removal
Sugarloaf, Saddleback and Sunday River..... The Western Maine Alps
farmboy
Sugarloafer

Postby cat in january » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:12 pm

Thanks, I just reread the FB post and came here to say my previous assumption was not correct about them starting work meaning clear title-me filling in the circle in my mind.

Things never seem to follow the simple path at Saddleback.

Your words reinforce that. Colors must be coming on nice up there.
cat in january
Sugarloafer

Postby LongRanger » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:50 pm

From a reply to a comment on f/b

"In June this year, Majella Group announced it has signed an asset purchase agreement to secure ownership of Saddleback Mountain Resort. The Rangeley Double Chair will be replaced with a new TRISTAR Fixed Grip Quad Chair Lift that can support 1,500 skiers per hour - we hope to have this operational this season. The T-Bar will be repaired and that will allow for access to the other lifts in the interim. "

Still only say 'hope' but that was posted only a couple of days ago.
LongRanger
Sugarloafer

Postby Andrew B. » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:16 pm

LongRanger wrote:From a reply to a comment on f/b

"In June this year, Majella Group announced it has signed an asset purchase agreement to secure ownership of Saddleback Mountain Resort. The Rangeley Double Chair will be replaced with a new TRISTAR Fixed Grip Quad Chair Lift that can support 1,500 skiers per hour - we hope to have this operational this season. The T-Bar will be repaired and that will allow for access to the other lifts in the interim. "

Still only say 'hope' but that was posted only a couple of days ago.

I still 'hope' Santa brings me a fist full of hundo's :D
---8---'------'-----'----'--'---------------------------------<;>>><
Andrew B.
King Masshole

Postby salsgang » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:51 pm

I am beyond trying to guess what happens next. I am just going to take it as it comes an enjoy skiing Saddleback again whenever that is!
salsgang
Sugarloafer

Postby ME2VTSkier » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:28 am

October 1st this weekend... still no major news or activity noted?
ME2VTSkier
Sugarloafer

Postby cat in january » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:41 pm

The Berry's must have had quite the mess for the closing to have taken this long.

Anyone had eyes on the mountain to see if any substantive work has been done?
cat in january
Sugarloafer

Postby Nonsuch » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:02 am

cat in january wrote:The Berry's must have had quite the mess for the closing to have taken this long.

Anyone had eyes on the mountain to see if any substantive work has been done?

Good news is that the trails have been mowed...the first time in several years...a good sign!
Nonsuch
Sugarloafer

Postby ME2VTSkier » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:47 am

Any repair work completed on the T-Bar?
ME2VTSkier
Sugarloafer

Postby ME2VTSkier » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:52 am

Never mind, I see a FB post of someone who was there on the third, one car by the office, chairs still on the double, and the T-bar hadn't been touched.

Nothing going to happen at Saddleback this winter other than some skinning.
ME2VTSkier
Sugarloafer

Postby Glade Monkey » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:02 pm

ME2VTSkier wrote:Never mind, I see a FB post of someone who was there on the third, one car by the office, chairs still on the double, and the T-bar hadn't been touched.

Nothing going to happen at Saddleback this winter other than some skinning.

First sign of life - they mowed the trails.
Their stated plan is take down the chair, fix the T-bar and then put up the new lift (in that order)

Sadly, I predict they'll say that they wanted to put in the new lift but early season was too cold and snowy. Perhaps also that they couldn't take down the lift, so they couldn't get around to fixing the T-bar :roll:
Ski season is too short
Glade Monkey
Sugarloafer

Postby cat in january » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:59 pm

Imagine the negotiations have gotten a bit testy. The problems with closing the deal looks like they will kill this season. T-bar may be able to open, but lots of money will be lost operating a hill in Rangeley with a T-bar as your primary lift. Majella must be looking to the Berry's for some concessions as a result. What choice do the Berry's have? The Foundation is not coming back to life and no other interest has materialized over the years.

Should be good to skin at least this coming winter.
cat in january
Sugarloafer

Postby Glade Monkey » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:43 pm

cat in january wrote:Imagine the negotiations have gotten a bit testy. The problems with closing the deal looks like they will kill this season. T-bar may be able to open, but lots of money will be lost operating a hill in Rangeley with a T-bar as your primary lift. Majella must be looking to the Berry's for some concessions as a result. What choice do the Berry's have? The Foundation is not coming back to life and no other interest has materialized over the years.

Should be good to skin at least this coming winter.

Don't forget that from the base lodge you will also need to take a double chair just to get up to the T-bar :roll:
Ski season is too short
Glade Monkey
Sugarloafer

Postby farmboy » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:03 pm

cat in january wrote:The Berry's must have had quite the mess for the closing to have taken this long.

:shock: Far from the truth with that statement. We have been ready on our end to close for months. Someone just needs to write the check
farmboy
Sugarloafer

Postby tipsdown » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:29 pm

farmboy wrote:

:shock: Far from the truth with that statement. We have been ready on our end to close for months. Someone just needs to write the check

Oh no...not this again.

The good news is if that's all that's left it does sound straight forward. No messy back and forth complications...

On a side note, they picked off the best chef in the area from Bald Mountain Camps to head up their food and beverage....That's a good indicator they'll be emphasizing quality food which can be hard to come by in the ski biz. Good move for them.
tipsdown
Sugarloafer

Postby farmboy » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:15 pm

tipsdown wrote:
farmboy wrote:

Oh no...not this again.

The good news is if that's all that's left it does sound straight forward. No messy back and forth complications...

On a side note, they picked off the best chef in the area from Bald Mountain Camps to head up their food and beverage....That's a good indicator they'll be emphasizing quality food which can be hard to come by in the ski biz. Good move for them.

I agree Brian is a great Chef
farmboy
Sugarloafer

Postby cat in january » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:44 pm

Appreciate the clarification. That was the second hand word I heard from a person who knew someone close to the situation. Made sense on why the whole process was taking so long, if there were many leans to untangle. Apologize for the inaccurate assumption.

Given this new information much less faith in Majella. Their reputation was not the best prior to the sale.
cat in january
Sugarloafer

Postby farmboy » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:01 pm

cat in january wrote:Appreciate the clarification. That was the second hand word I heard from a person who knew someone close to the situation. Made sense on why the whole process was taking so long, if there were many leans to untangle. Apologize for the inaccurate assumption.

Given this new information much less faith in Majella. Their reputation was not the best prior to the sale.

They are operating within the timeframes negotiated. I would just be patient
farmboy
Sugarloafer

Postby muleski » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:47 pm

Confusing, at least to me.

We'll see.
muleski
Sugarloafer

Postby Skimaine » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:17 pm

The latest from Spacebook:

Good-evening Saddlebackers, Majella Group’s acquisition of Saddleback is progressing. Whilst details around the acquisition are a matter of a confidentiality agreement, I can confirm we are within the original parameters of the agreement.

Please do not take our silence as a lack of progress, rather a focus on the task at hand. Over the last few weeks our dedicated crew have brought snowmaking equipment online and are continuing with the process of inspecting, testing, adjusting and certifying the lifts. Our mountain operations team have been cutting, mowing and grooming trails that have grown in over the last two years.

Reopening is a top priority and we are doing everything we can to open in some capacity for the upcoming ski season. The extent of which will be determined by the work we are able to achieve in the coming weeks. As we stated in June, we have many hurdles, but we continue to push through them. This was never going to be an easy or quick process but our tireless team are hard at work.

Best regards,

Majella Group CEO, Sebastian Monsour

Image credit: Kyle Haley Photography
One is one to many and one more is never enough
Skimaine
Sugarloafer

Postby muleski » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:18 pm

This is "interesting reading."
I remain skeptical, to say the least.

http://newenglandskiindustry.com/viewst ... toryid=610
muleski
Sugarloafer

Postby redrider » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:44 am

muleski wrote:This is "interesting reading."
I remain skeptical, to say the least.

http://newenglandskiindustry.com/viewst ... toryid=610

Squaw part II?

Hope not, may they be incredibly successful at SB.
redrider
Sugarloafer

Postby cat in january » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:40 am

I find it odd according to the article above that they formed a company in Maine a half world away prior to forming one in Australia.

Definitely wishing them the best as not sure what options there will be if it falls apart.

Start does seem to belie some of their inexperience.
cat in january
Sugarloafer

Postby k2trav » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:21 am

k2trav
Sugarloafer For Life

Postby Glade Monkey » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:07 pm

From their FB page - radio silence is broken (meanwhile on the SMF FB page Farmboy is getting frustrated with the rumor-mongering)

SADDLEBACK MAINE
October 21 at 7:09pm

Good-evening Saddlebackers, Majella Group’s acquisition of Saddleback is progressing. Whilst details around the acquisition are a matter of a confidentiality agreement, I can confirm we are within the original parameters of the agreement.

Please do not take our silence as a lack of progress, rather a focus on the task at hand. Over the last few weeks our dedicated crew have brought snowmaking equipment online and are continuing with the process of inspecting, testing, adjusting and certifying the lifts. Our mountain operations team have been cutting, mowing and grooming trails that have grown in over the last two years.

Reopening is a top priority and we are doing everything we can to open in some capacity for the upcoming ski season. The extent of which will be determined by the work we are able to achieve in the coming weeks. As we stated in June, we have many hurdles, but we continue to push through them. This was never going to be an easy or quick process but our tireless team are hard at work.

Best regards,
Majella Group CEO, Sebastian Monsour
Image credit: Kyle Haley Photography

Ski season is too short
Glade Monkey
Sugarloafer

Previous

Return to Saddleback discussion