Saddleback SOLD to Majella

Re: Saddleback SOLD to Majella

Postby muleski » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:43 pm

So, the closing has NOT taken place yet?
Guess we'll all be a bit more optimistic when that happens.

Four new lifts seems "more than a bit optimistic", IMO.

Remain skeptical that this crew has the experience and skill to pull this off. The money? Who knows? Could be Rick solid,or a house of cards. Pretty hard to know for sure these days.

Fingers crossed.
muleski
Sugarloafer

Postby vcskier » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:30 pm

I'm neutral on Majella and pessimistic on the Berry family. The smart money is not on Saddleback, unless you can make it a solid summer attraction as well as winter.

They need a large hotel, conference facilities summer activities/attractions and to be 12 miles closer to Rangley.

I wish Saddleback all the luck in the world, but it doesn't look good short or long term.
vcskier
Sugarloafer

Postby Rossignolsoul7 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:33 pm

4 lifts without any specifics is meaningless. Could be the same 2 lifts already announced + 2 "moose-calators"-type lifts...
Rossignolsoul7
Sugarloafer

Postby bigelow » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:04 pm

One thing that is not a rumor is Farmboy is a VP at Skowhegan Savings now.....
bigelow
Sugarloafer

Postby farmboy » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:48 pm

bigelow wrote:One thing that is not a rumor is Farmboy is a VP at Skowhegan Savings now.....

UF- undisputed fact

Sit tight on the other stuff. That's all I can say at this time
Sugarloaf, Saddleback and Sunday River..... The Western Maine Alps
farmboy
Sugarloafer

Postby bigelow » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:19 am

farmboy wrote:
bigelow wrote:One thing that is not a rumor is Farmboy is a VP at Skowhegan Savings now.....

UF- undisputed fact

Sit tight on the other stuff. That's all I can say at this time

Good for you man - must feel like a breath of fresh air to be out of that stressful environment
bigelow
Sugarloafer

Postby farmboy » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:00 pm

Still wrapping up loose ends but definitely better than before
farmboy
Sugarloafer

Postby muleski » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:39 pm

Congrats, best wishes and good luck with the new deal, Farmboy.

Thanks for weighing in here on this "topic" for so long. Tough line to walk.

And I'm sure there was more than enough stress on your part through it all.

Now enjoy some skiing as a "regular citizen."

Cheers.
muleski
Sugarloafer

Postby JullyJelly » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:18 am

Glade Monkey wrote:
Maybe they will finally get around to installing that gondola which they cut the TIght Line trail for way back in the 80s....
http://www.newenglandskihistory.com/Maine/saddleback.php

or some of the "proposed" lifts they used to draw on the maps....
https://skimap.org/data/446/916/1335470610.pdf

Always hated those. Made the map look foolish IMO.

I'll be shocked if they can get any lift installed this season and two the next. I don't see FOUR lifts going in unless two of them are carpet lifts. Would love to be proven wrong though...
JullyJelly
Sugarloafer

Postby Alpiner » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:27 pm

Rossignolsoul7 wrote:
loafasaur wrote: Point is, Lake Placid is the only other place in the east that has the raw, 4-season assets that Rangeley/Saddleback has.

Tremblant too, and this one is only 1h20min from 4-million-populated-Montreal.

Shawnee Peak.
-Jack

let the ground come to you.
Alpiner
Sugarloafer

Postby Glade Monkey » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:50 pm

Alpiner wrote:
Rossignolsoul7 wrote:
loafasaur wrote: Point is, Lake Placid is the only other place in the east that has the raw, 4-season assets that Rangeley/Saddleback has.

Tremblant too, and this one is only 1h20min from 4-million-populated-Montreal.

Shawnee Peak.

Camden Snow Bowl!
Ski season is too short
Glade Monkey
Sugarloafer

Postby Crystalmountainskier » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:16 pm

Update: https://www.facebook.com/SaddlebackMain ... 700888510/

The wording is strange in that it mentions removal but also construction and repair of Rangeley and the T-Bar.
Crystalmountainskier
Sugarloafer

Postby LongRanger » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:36 pm

Suspect repair should say rebuilding but it is strangely phrased.
LongRanger
Sugarloafer

Postby redrider » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:50 pm

Send in STE for recon
redrider
Sugarloafer

Postby farmboy » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:23 pm

LongRanger wrote:Suspect repair should say rebuilding but it is strangely phrased.

Austrailian English and American English have slight variations. They are installing a new Rangeley chair but are repairing the Tbar so if there are weather delays or Mother Nature stops them in their tracks on opening they can open in a limited capacity and still get to the Kennebago
farmboy
Sugarloafer

Postby tipsdown » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:04 pm

farmboy wrote:
LongRanger wrote:Suspect repair should say rebuilding but it is strangely phrased.

Austrailian English and American English have slight variations. They are installing a new Rangeley chair but are repairing the Tbar so if there are weather delays or Mother Nature stops them in their tracks on opening they can open in a limited capacity and still get to the Kennebago

That's how I interpreted it. Thanks for confirming. Smart move to open this year even on a limited basis... Will likely lose money this year but taking the longview which hopefully pays off...
tipsdown
Sugarloafer

Postby Crystalmountainskier » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:02 pm

farmboy wrote:

Thanks for interpreting. A 57 year-old T-Bar providing the only access to a modern quad chair would certainly be cool.

My questions remain:
1) Is a contract signed with Doppelmayr?
2) If so, when do they show up?
3) Is it for one lift or two?
Crystalmountainskier
Sugarloafer

Postby LongRanger » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:29 pm

farmboy wrote:

and I'm listening is actual ENGLISH ENGLISH... though I work with an Aussie and am in the US often enough to be bilingual.
LongRanger
Sugarloafer

Postby b632 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:03 pm

I completely understand the language.....it's called double talk.... or double speak..
Stop thinking and end your problems. -Lao Tzu
b632
Sugarloafer

Postby Glade Monkey » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:03 am

Based on their FB post and replies, the Rangeley will be taken down and the existing T-bar repaired for this season.
If there is too much snow early in the season, they might not even finish taking down the chair.

So, if all works out you would take the short double next to the lodge up to the Cupsuptic T-bar, then ride it up and take the "The Pass" cross cut over to the base of Kennebago quad.
Ski season is too short
Glade Monkey
Sugarloafer

Postby cat in january » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:51 pm

I have been hopeful, but the current plan seems to have some holes in it.

Hard to see the chairlift going in for this season. I would think more information on the new lift would have been released if they were far enough along in the process to get a whole new lift installed.

I have been on the t-bar when it has broken down. Asking a 57 yo t-bar to be your primary lift is asking a lot. What is the uphill capacity of the lift? Any sort of a crowd could get pretty bad.

With just the double chair out of operation, how much cash spending do they save on a product the Berry's claimed was financially unfeasible? Going from the chairlift plus the t-bar to just the t-bar from the base is a big step backwards.

Beyond locals and people who own at Saddleback, how much of the big middle of the skiing bell curve will make the trip to Saddleback?

Maybe there is a bare bones way to make it work with no snow making and skeleton staff. Maybe more russians want US citizenship.

Recent announcements have pushed optimism up some, but overall less optimistic than when the sale was first announced.
cat in january
Sugarloafer

Postby JullyJelly » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:21 pm

I think a soft opening is a great idea. The new owners have not ever owned or operated a ski area before. They will certainly be hiring a great and experienced team, but there will be a learning curve. I would be floored (and very concerned) if they expect to draw a crowd and make a profit with this year's proposed set up (they shouldn't expect to turn a profit for a few years anyway).

This year will be much more about getting locals and condo owners back on your side and learning how to operate a ski area and get the new team working together. Overall I support this and am excited. I think I prefer this to not opening this year and having a full blown opening next winter.
JullyJelly
Sugarloafer

Postby cat in january » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:45 pm

agree with your thoughts, just wonder how the bean counters will view it
cat in january
Sugarloafer

Postby tipsdown » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:12 pm

JullyJelly wrote:I think a soft opening is a great idea. The new owners have not ever owned or operated a ski area before. They will certainly be hiring a great and experienced team, but there will be a learning curve. I would be floored (and very concerned) if they expect to draw a crowd and make a profit with this year's proposed set up (they shouldn't expect to turn a profit for a few years anyway).

This year will be much more about getting locals and condo owners back on your side and learning how to operate a ski area and get the new team working together. Overall I support this and am excited. I think I prefer this to not opening this year and having a full blown opening next winter.

+1. More of a goodwill move for this season. Smart. Operational costs will be down under this arrangement so they won't get killed. Exactly 100% of people that have weighed in on this assume no quad for this season, despite them publicly saying they're going for it....at least there won't be disappointment.
tipsdown
Sugarloafer

Postby muleski » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:25 pm

So......Hate to keep asking, but has the closing taken place? Does Majella own it yet? If not, what's holding it up?

I expect close to nothing until the deal is finally done. Hope that either has happened, or is close.
muleski
Sugarloafer

Postby bigelow » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:30 am

muleski wrote:So......Hate to keep asking, but has the closing taken place? Does Majella own it yet? If not, what's holding it up?

I expect close to nothing until the deal is finally done. Hope that either has happened, or is close.

Check the Franklin County registry of deeds......that should tell you......although you don't have to record deeds until you want to, but it is a race-notice state so it is beneficial to record ASAP.

Basic common sense tells you they won't have the Rangeley replaced by year end 2017. Could they bull through the winter and get a lift running by January/February? Maybe. Is that a smart idea? Maybe not.....but maybe that is how these guys operate, they just go for it. Time will tell
bigelow
Sugarloafer

Postby farmboy » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:43 am

Don't waste your time with the registry
farmboy
Sugarloafer

Postby Andrew B. » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:52 am

If they had the foundations placed now they MIGHT get a lift in this year. Although you can place concrete in the winter (in Rangley it is winter in the world of concrete) it is EXTREMELY expensive even on flat ground let alone a mountain. Lift foundations also require 28 day curing before they can be loaded.
Think about the timing for a minute. Two months to put in foundations (SR's duration), one month to cure, and then fly towers and gear in what.... January? SR is still working on the chair now and I have seen no guarantees it will run before T-day.

#8hap'n
---8---'------'-----'----'--'---------------------------------<;>>><
Andrew B.
King Masshole

Postby cat in january » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:20 am

Must have closed if they have a crew taking the lift down.

Any bush hogging started?
cat in january
Sugarloafer

Postby Andrew B. » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:43 am

cat in january wrote:Must have closed if they have a crew taking the lift down.

Any bush hogging started?

Other kinds of agreements beyond a formal closing can allow that to happen.
based on farmboys post I am not looking in the registrars office either
---8---'------'-----'----'--'---------------------------------<;>>><
Andrew B.
King Masshole

PreviousNext

Return to Saddleback discussion