Saddleback SOLD to Majella

Re: Saddleback SOLD to Majella

Postby tipsdown » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:47 am

vcskier wrote:Is it sold? I heard an August close, which seems like no rush to open this year.

I recently worked on a deal where the day before the closing an issue was found which by one estimate was less than 1% of value. The buyer pulled out and fought and received their deposit back.

I don't wish this on saddleback but it isn't sold yet.

They also have signed operating agreement in place. There is a lot going on behind the scenes...
tipsdown
Sugarloafer

Postby salsgang » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:24 am

One month post Majella announcement. Hope things are progressing well behind the scenes!
salsgang
Sugarloafer

Postby Rossignolsoul7 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:17 am

Any Doppelmayr-related activities around? Still enough time to install lifts for 2018 but still... the window is getting a bit narrower everyday.
Rossignolsoul7
Sugarloafer

Postby ME2VTSkier » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:07 am

Get the footings in, and they can work all winter if necessary.
ME2VTSkier
Sugarloafer

Postby cat in january » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:31 pm

Sure you can work through the winter, but that means another lost ski season with no way to get skier up from the base lodge.

Given all that is necessary to get the area back functioning, prospects are looking dimmer for this coming winter.
cat in january
Sugarloafer

Postby loafman140 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:19 pm

There's no reason this place can't be open for this winter. If they can't figure this stuff out in time for a Dec 20th opening, I'm not sure how high my confidence is they can turn this place into a world class 4 season destination
loafman140
Sugarloafer

Postby Nonsuch » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:53 am

tipsdown wrote:Looking forward to an exciting future at Saddleback!

http://majellagroup.com/saddlebackmaine ... june17.pdf

Unfortunately, there has not been any updates or communication since this press release.
Nonsuch
Sugarloafer

Postby SpillwayEast » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:23 am

Have the Berry's received a check yet?
SpillwayEast
Sugarloafer

Postby High Ball » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:42 am

Where will the customers come from ?

I hope this isn't one of those "everyone's gonna sell their place at Sugarloaf and come to Saddleback" business plans ! :shock:
High Ball
Sugarloafer

Postby Glade Monkey » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:06 pm

SpillwayEast wrote:Have the Berry's received a check yet?

Doubtful. From the press release the P&S closing is later this summer.
http://majellagroup.com/saddlebackmaine/press-release-saddleback-june17.pdf
Ski season is too short
Glade Monkey
Sugarloafer

Postby cat in january » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:19 pm

loafman140 wrote:There's no reason this place can't be open for this winter. If they can't figure this stuff out in time for a Dec 20th opening, I'm not sure how high my confidence is they can turn this place into a world class 4 season destination

Wish I shared your optimism for the coming season. Although I would be happy to ride a surface lift, I think I am in the minority of customers who are choosing where they go-I don't own a place at Saddleback. After the Spruce Peak lift topple at SR and the prior problems at SL, inspections have become much more involved. If they lack the engineering plans for the chairlift bullwheel installation, they will need to dig them up to prove the footings. I have no idea where maintenance stands to get the lifts and snow making running. Beyond the new lifts a new fleet of groomers will need to be secured among many punch list items to open the resort.

Hoping a lot of the logistic work is happening prior to the actual closing, but as we inch towards mid August I feel less sure of things happening this winter.

Although my posts I am sure come off as the cynic, I want very much for Saddleback to return from the NELSAP list for the quality of skiing it gives and the injection to the economy.
cat in january
Sugarloafer

Postby High Ball » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:39 pm

Yep......good dose of skepticism. I'd love to see this succeed, but these guys are making a pretty big bet that there's a lot of pent up demand in the Boston area to do 8 hours of round trip driving every weekend to ski, that don't already go to Sugarloaf.

It's going to take a lot more than money to make this work. A quick look at their website seems like most of their experience is in urban redevelopment. The Berry's couldn't manage this thing from Farmington, ME and these guys think they can do it from Brisbane, Australia ?? :roll:

muleski wrote:The more the soon-to-be new owners can communicate, and outline a vision, a plan, a timetable, etc. the better. I imagine that seeing much before they actually close on the sale {assuming the deal actually does go through} is not in the cards. Which is fine. Hopefully they are lining it all up.

This will be interesting. I think there is optimism mixed with a good dose of skepticism. If Simon and team do move forward and sink some serious money into the place, at least in the short term, we should see skiing, and a boost to the local economy. The more he decides to spend, and build or improve, the more people he'll put to work. In terms of skier visits to SB, whether it opens on a limited scale this season or not, that, IMO remains to be seen. And it's the big question. But this can't do a thing but help out the region.

No doubt, there is excitement. Much as there was when Bill Berry and family rescued SB, and proceeded to sink a lot of money into it. There are some parallels here. The big difference is that this group is from "far away", where the Berry's live in Farmington.

The friends of mine who are in this business, and particularly those who actually own and buy ski resorts shake their heads at this. No jealousy, etc. at all. They seriously want EVERY ski operation in the country to not just survive, but to thrive. They just see no possible path for that at SB. Maybe it takes some people with zero ski experience, and zero resort experience {at least in North America} to dream and think out of the box and make it happen. That's a tall order.

What both CEO's {these guys like titles} outlined sounds pretty much like the classic "If we build it, they will come." That generally has not worked as of late in this business. I keep hearing about the realities of the location, with an objective view. And the miracle of four seasons is just not a new idea. Rangeley, the lake, and other fishing has always been pristine. How that factors into SB's bottom line has always been a challenge. Not sure how they solve that.

I hope this works, and that they stick with it {and actually have the capital}. I sense some risk getting out over their tips on this. And I hope that the SMF group and concept stays a bit connected, as they may get another chance. Of course if the new owners sink a bundle in to it, and then sadly give up years down the road, there is more "stuff" for a non profit to have to acquire. And it might be more problematic.

The group of people who have impressed me the least, and have been the most difficult for me to deal with over decades of business are second generation CEO's. Often absolutely clueless, yet feeling like they somehow built something. Somedon't work that hard, and specialize in talking a good game. Most have no problem spending money stupidly. I have no clue about this guy, or about the former fire chief, now CEO, who is "excited about this project." I cringed at Simon and the "Premier Resort" comment. I hope I'm being too critical. Again friends of mine who do this for a living, and in some cases have fortunes of money deployed, see this as a big challenge. And I have heard "These guys have NO idea" more than once.

We'll see. Buying the place, and then making it work are two different things. At least SB has a new owner about to come on board, the prospects of getting everything back on line, of skiing and some putting up new lifts, and enthusiasm. I'll celebrate that for now. I think that piling on does no good.

I just want to sneak over from Sugarloaf six or so days a season and enjoy the terrain. Regardless of anything else, the mountain always has been, and always will be, awesome.

Best of luck to all! I will be so excited if this group pulls this off, and has tremendous success.
High Ball
Sugarloafer

Postby cat in january » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:46 pm

FB post sounds promising, but beyond who is on the team, no real news shared. Still feel more optimistic than before.
https://www.facebook.com/SaddlebackMain ... 5eJzlgno-k
cat in january
Sugarloafer

Postby Bluewater » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:00 am

Oh, for God's sake, people, after two years of following this, I have to say:

The plural of 'Berry' is 'Berrys'. Not 'Berries' or 'Berry's' -- it's just plain, plural Berrys. If they own something, that something is the Berrys' (plural possessive). Otherwise, lose the apostrophes, stick an 'S' on the end, and call it good.

Yours in grammar; carry on.

BW
Bluewater
Sugarloafer

Postby bigelow » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:11 am

Not much chatter out of Dallas Plantation these days.........anyone been on the mountain to see what is going on? I keep getting reports that lift work is being done but have not been on site.
bigelow
Sugarloafer

Postby Glade Monkey » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:43 pm

bigelow wrote:Not much chatter out of Dallas Plantation these days.........anyone been on the mountain to see what is going on? I keep getting reports that lift work is being done but have not been on site.

Last two updates on the FB Group page were 1 - refund checks were sent out, and 2 - the chairs we put back on the Rangeley.
According to a reply copied below from Quimby that was just to open up some storage space.

"Jim Quimby - Sorry folks the chairs were moved for storage and the chair is not being prepared to run. Information from Saddleback will be coming soon"
Ski season is too short
Glade Monkey
Sugarloafer

Postby Nonsuch » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:30 am

Glade Monkey wrote:
bigelow wrote:Not much chatter out of Dallas Plantation these days.........anyone been on the mountain to see what is going on? I keep getting reports that lift work is being done but have not been on site.

Last two updates on the FB Group page were 1 - refund checks were sent out, and 2 - the chairs we put back on the Rangeley.
According to a reply copied below from Quimby that was just to open up some storage space.

"Jim Quimby - Sorry folks the chairs were moved for storage and the chair is not being prepared to run. Information from Saddleback will be coming soon"

Heard a rumor that the new lifts were to be delivered sometime in Septemeber.....not sure if true?
Nonsuch
Sugarloafer

Postby Skimaine » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:15 am

Nonsuch wrote:
Glade Monkey wrote:

Heard a rumor that the new lifts were to be delivered sometime in Septemeber.....not sure if true?

I heard from a friend, who knows a guy, that heard on the chair lift from another guy who knows a guy that heard the new owners do not like the lodge and plan to take it down and start over.
One is one to many and one more is never enough
Skimaine
Sugarloafer

Postby Glade Monkey » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:11 am

One month...
Ski season is too short
Glade Monkey
Sugarloafer

Postby SpillwayEast » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:07 am

Im surprised its been so quiet. I would think from a PR perspective that Majella would at least put out some news to create excitement. Have the Berry's got their check yet?
SpillwayEast
Sugarloafer

Postby ME2VTSkier » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:16 am

Labor Day weekend, and still crickets? You would think they'd want to portray an image of a LOT more activity, if they have any hope of opening this winter.
ME2VTSkier
Sugarloafer

Postby skidor » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:59 pm

If I just bought a ski resort and was unsure that I would be ready for the upcoming season I would do just what Majella is doing, keep my mouth shut.
skidor
Sugarloafer

Postby cat in january » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:11 pm

Deal does not appear to be closed yet. Speculation would be that some things have come up that have required more time. There clearly is nothing they have to say yet
cat in january
Sugarloafer

Postby cat in january » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:43 pm

Ok Majella doesn't have anything to say.

Anyone been up to Saddleback recently?

Any word around town?

I sure hope Majella does not bail on the deal. That would be very bad.
cat in january
Sugarloafer

Postby bigelow » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:36 pm

since they aren't really communicating, I will throw out the two most recent rumors I have heard.
apparently they ran into problems removing one of the lifts. No idea which one.
second rumor, will only be lower mountain this winter. not sure what that means.
bigelow
Sugarloafer

Postby k2trav » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:48 am

I heard they have ordered 4 lifts from Dopplemayr but they won't be open this winter. There communication was amazing for exactly 1 day
k2trav
Sugarloafer For Life

Postby bikeman123 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:38 am

If I had a house under contract, I wouldn't run out and buy new appliances or a boiler before closing. Just saying.
bikeman123
Sugarloafer

Postby JullyJelly » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:45 pm

k2trav wrote:I heard they have ordered 4 lifts from Dopplemayr but they won't be open this winter. There communication was amazing for exactly 1 day

4 lifts? Anyone hear what are the other two for? Also which type of lifts for the other two? Surface lifts or chairlifts?
JullyJelly
Sugarloafer

Postby cat in january » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:40 pm

bigelow wrote:since they aren't really communicating, I will throw out the two most recent rumors I have heard.
apparently they ran into problems removing one of the lifts. No idea which one.
second rumor, will only be lower mountain this winter. not sure what that means.

First one does not make much sense until after the purchase is completed.

Running the bottom beginner lift seems likely outcome for this Winter. Some good will to town and seasonal owners with plausible reason for waiting another year. Allows them to claim to be open and the cost will not be much. Should still be a place to go for a walk
cat in january
Sugarloafer

Postby Glade Monkey » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:43 pm

JullyJelly wrote:
k2trav wrote:I heard they have ordered 4 lifts from Dopplemayr but they won't be open this winter. There communication was amazing for exactly 1 day

4 lifts? Anyone hear what are the other two for? Also which type of lifts for the other two? Surface lifts or chairlifts?

Maybe they will finally get around to installing that gondola which they cut the TIght Line trail for way back in the 80s....
http://www.newenglandskihistory.com/Maine/saddleback.php

or some of the "proposed" lifts they used to draw on the maps....
https://skimap.org/data/446/916/1335470610.pdf
Ski season is too short
Glade Monkey
Sugarloafer

PreviousNext

Return to Saddleback discussion